SoCalMule

Honda CRF450L spruced-up

Was visiting my friends over at San Diego Power House the other day...Guess what I found? A Plated CRF450L (big deal they are all plated! well please read on) that I would consider even over my usual taste for pumpkin. Below are some photos of the owner's (SD power house) bike. He has been the go too mechanic shop for the Honda Baja team 1x. They even had an "Overall Finish' faster then the dreaded trophy trucks. Bob preps and builds all of 1X's bikes. So...he knows Honda's for off-road. I have been watching the classifieds for 2019 Honda CRF 450L's and I'm finding bikes with less than 1K miles on them in the $7.5K range. Why is this important? Imagine an uncorked Honda CRF 450 that sports a Cali Plate? This is what he creates for customers pretty much every month or so. 

A "Stage one" offering (around $1.9K) takes all the unnecessary stuff off the bike and replaces a few things with CNC'd goodies. IMS 3.0 gallon tank. Baja Designs head light, A Vortex engine module with Dyno created maps by the Honda 1X Baja Team and Bobby at SDPH is installed, a Pro Circuit pipe/muffler system too. The air box will be massaged for deep breathing. The rear fender will be a CRF450 version with tucked in turn signals and tail light along with a tiny plate mount. 

The "Stage Two" version contains all of the "stage one additions and subtractions" but gets into the suspension components, steering damper, a new cam, mill's the head, and will dyno at 62HP...all for another $1.5K. I wonder if having the three ring piston...Honda's history of longevity, Honda's reputation for decent maintenance check durations...plus less expensive replacement parts would just make financial and fun sense? 

A new KTM 500 exc would be close $12K out the door... and to get the bike to where I would want it...close to what I have now the 07 450exc RFS, I could see dropping close to, if not over, $3K into a new bike! Nope! 

Just a thought...

IMG_0538.jpeg

IMG_0537.jpeg

IMG_0536.jpeg

IMG_0535.jpeg

On 12/29/2019 at 3:49 PM, SoCalMule said:

Hit the expanded enlarge photo button, there is more to see than what I listed.

By the lack of interest in this post I realize now that I have committed a sin against KTM. Please forgive me. I repent. I will do six Hale Mary's while touching the seat of my 450exc.

I like the idea of having a Honda rather than joining the sea of Orange. Where are you seeing used ones for sale? I haven’t found any locally.

I think the kits you’re describing sound great but their website only shows the thermostat delete, pro circuit exhaust, and vortex being in the stage 1 kit for $1800. 

Possibly,  You are dreaming about 62 HP and Honda Reliability.

I suggest youGot For It and report back to us.   

😎

I thought you had already pulled the trigger and were going to start showing some of the orange bikes how it's done.  

2 hours ago, DWreck91 said:

I like the idea of having a Honda rather than joining the sea of Orange. Where are you seeing used ones for sale? I haven’t found any locally.

I think the kits you’re describing sound great but their website only shows the thermostat delete, pro circuit exhaust, and vortex being in the stage 1 kit for $1800. 

Bobby said to me the de-smog, small lights, pipe, thermo delete, vortex and a few more goodies in stage 1 kit. i might be wrong? I saw this one for $8.9K today: https://www.cycletrader.com/Used-Honda-Crf-450l/motorcycles-for-sale?make=Honda|2316874&model=CRF|764948699&trim=450L|54148&condition=U&zip=92004&radius=250

1 hour ago, tntmo said:

I thought you had already pulled the trigger and were going to start showing some of the orange bikes how it's done.  

Nope,  just kicking the tires for now.

Well kick the tires, light the fires and get out there on a Honda.  You might even meet some nice people?

40 minutes ago, tntmo said:

You might even meet some nicer people?

Fixed.

So spend all that money to basically get it up to the KTM you can buy and ride tomorrow.  ????

Someone had to say it.................

I dunno.  I really did not feel like my 500 was "ready to ride" as it came, and trust me, I do not do it justice.  I think most of us have to mess with stuff to get it where we want and out of the box doesn't work.

Oh I know, I was stirring the pot.   Not serious at all.  Its actually a pretty sick bike all things considered.

Pot stirrer!!!!  I do like the bike as well.  Truth is that I still feel more comfortable on my red bike and have a lot of growing into the orange bike to do.  I'll always have a soft spot for red!

See I'm the opposite, Ive been on orange since 2.  I tried red and crashed my brains out for two months and lit it on fire to watch it melt.

• Sad 1