Sign in to follow this  
dirt dame

Photobucket down

I'm sure that those of you who have Photobucket accounts have noticed  that the Big Bucket is down right now.  I can't  access my account.  Also, no photo links from that account will be available.  If you want to follow their progress in fixing this catastrophe, you can find updates on their FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/photobucket/

I have never been a Photobucket guy and it seems they are always having some sort of issue (weren't they free for the longest time and then all of a sudden said you had to pay for an account?  And they held your pics hostage of you didn't pay up?).  May be a stupid question, but why have a Photobucket account anyway?

Well Simicrintz, if you don't post tons of photos on ride reports, then I guess you don't need a photo hosting service.

I myself have the professional level of Smugmug, where I have thousands of photos hosted through their site.

I would never use this forum or other forums to use up GB of their webspace by attaching photos directly to my posts, which uses up webspace on their servers.

Many forums have limits as to how many photos, sizes of photos, etc. that you can post as attachments if you're not a supporting member (as we do also).

Many people don't realize we've had to upgrade our GB of storage numerous times for this forum, which costs us more money each time.

We do thank each and every one of you who are supporting members, which helps offset these costs (to a degree).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

I have never been a Photobucket guy and it seems they are always having some sort of issue (weren't they free for the longest time and then all of a sudden said you had to pay for an account?  And they held your pics hostage of you didn't pay up?).  May be a stupid question, but why have a Photobucket account anyway?

Yes, Photobucket seems to have been having a few too many problems as of late.  The reason that I pay for it is because of all the previously free posted pictures that I have linked to various MC and fishing forums.  Moving all my pictures to another site and trying to repost them all would be huge headache.

While I am not much of a picture poster, I never really think about the bandwidth that I may take up (and I suspect most folks don't).  The hosting sites just seem like more trouble than they are worth and then control your stuff (like Photobucket seems to be doing).

Thank you for explaining the bandwidth issue (I did not know), and I promise to only post relevant pics in the future!

Smugmug never seems to have any major issues, it is owned by Baldy, who owns ADVrider.

Also, they "don't control your stuff".

2 hours ago, KTMrad said:

We do thank each and every one of you who are supporting members, which helps offset these costs (to a degree).

And I am a Supporting Member; Merry Christmas!