standarche

"Thinstrom" Project Help

Hello gentle people! I have recently started a "Thinstrom" conversion for my 2014 DL650 and would appreciate any help or suggestions when it comes to the gas tank. I have a "vision" of a tank that does not extend past the frame, instead of the bulbous monstrosity of the stock tank.

My question is does anyone know of a shop that could reshape the stock tank or custom make a new tank, since my fabrication skills are limited to super glue and duct tape. My other option is to find a 2nd gen SV650 tank, but it does not sit flush with the bottom of the frame, a minor inconvenience I suppose.  

I have decided that undertaking this project is more fun and purposeful than just buying a different bike, but rather making my current bike more of what I have come to enjoy. I appreciate any help or direction! 

Can you take a picture and better explain your intentions with some drawing

i have had several stroms and thought of doing a thinstrom as well but would leave the tank alone to keep the range

I'll see what I can do about a drawing, and I'll get pictures up soon...even though I'm embarrassed at the current state I'm riding it in now. With an SV tank I'd lose a gallon, which for me is okay for range. I can always do a rotopax gallon if I need it.  

Current state is just with the front fairing removed, new headlight and flyscreen installed, and rear racks removed

IMG_20191214_121024852.jpgIMG_20191214_102334_01.jpg

Future plans include a slimmer gas tank, a reduced length seat (I do not ride with passengers), and a reworking of the plastics under the seat and in the tail. I am new at all fabrication, but plan on doing abs plastics with a heat gun until it works and incorporating a tail tidy.

IMG_20191214_185423_edit_1576378471823.j

I prefer soft bags, and mostly pillion duffel bags, for storage over the aluminum panniers I have. Plus, with two young kids at home my several day trips are behind, and way ahead, of me.

So far with just a ride today, the strom feels like a new bike with the fairing and rear rack removed. It feels like riding a motorcycle again instead of a big couch.

I am in Escondido and know that buke inside and out pm me if you want to bring it by the house I can give you some ideas and you might reconsider the smaller seat I’ll explain why later too much totype