Mikey777

Sand in your tire, To Be or Not To Be

On Saturday I did a solo dez ride in Anza Borrego and ended up with a flat front tire.  Fortunately, I was prepared and had everything to fix the flat...tools, extra tube, CO2, and a hand pump as a backup.  (It is kind of nice changing a tire without your buddies giving you that look to hurry up). 

When I got home I was planning on torquing everything to spec and noticed the bead looked a little off.  So I removed the wheel and deflated to reset the bead....and out came a decent amount of sand from when I replaced the tube.  Not quite a handful, but not enough for me to say I had a lot of sand in there.  Anyway, I dumped out what I could, cleaned the remaining sand off the wheel seals, axle shaft, and fork and reassembled to spec.  So lets say I didn't do this and I was still riding around with some sand inside the tire.  Bad thing?  No big deal?  Self balancing tire? Abrasive and asking for trouble?  Kind of a stupid question, but I feel like asking it.   

20191207_132136.thumb.jpg.e5faf7ea5e4777ec866bd07d38a494be.jpg

Yes, this can cause problems over the long haul. I replace my tubes every two or three tires. If you inspect your tubes, you can see that there are areas that begging showing signs of wear after significant use. I've always believed this to be because of debris in between the tube and tire along with heat from resistance. 

Talcum powder on the tube prior to install can help with the heat but having any debris between tire and tube is just a flat waiting to happen best case, wear in inner tire carcass and corresponding broken steel wires worse case (had this happen with a D606). 

I always make extra sure my tire and tube are clear of crap if I have to change in the field.

Recommend bringing along some kind of towel to place on the ground for a clean working area. Grit grinds.

On 12/9/2019 at 8:47 PM, Mikey777 said:

On Saturday I did a solo dez ride in Anza Borrego and ended up with a flat front tire.  Fortunately, I was prepared and had everything to fix the flat...tools, extra tube, CO2, and a hand pump as a backup.  (It is kind of nice changing a tire without your buddies giving you that look to hurry up). 

When I got home I was planning on torquing everything to spec and noticed the bead looked a little off.  So I removed the wheel and deflated to reset the bead....and out came a decent amount of sand from when I replaced the tube.  Not quite a handful, but not enough for me to say I had a lot of sand in there.  Anyway, I dumped out what I could, cleaned the remaining sand off the wheel seals, axle shaft, and fork and reassembled to spec.  So lets say I didn't do this and I was still riding around with some sand inside the tire.  Bad thing?  No big deal?  Self balancing tire? Abrasive and asking for trouble?  Kind of a stupid question, but I feel like asking it.   

20191207_132136.thumb.jpg.e5faf7ea5e4777ec866bd07d38a494be.jpg

Looks like Coyote Canyon near the first bit of water...

Personally, I recommend you bring along someone from whom to borrow a 10mm wrench.

14 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Personally, I recommend you bring along someone from whom to borrow a 10mm wrench.

Stocking stuffer!