Bagstr

Bagstrs Trivial Mechanical and Equipment Issues

Received the Earls filter today. It's 1/2" longer and slightly slimmer than the stock Mahle. Installed it in my 3 gal Acerbis tank and it went right into the tank with no difficulty. Hoses and standard 10.9 Oetiker clamps went on snug and sealed well. Subsequent pressure check showed pump holding pressure >40 psi for 5+ minutes after shutting off which is comparable to the results I routinely get with the stock Mahle filter so it would seem there are no significant leaks at the clamps. Time for a test ride:)

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

I’m going to give the Earl’s filter a tentative thumbs up. Rode 75 miles today and noticed no difference in the performance of the bike compared to the Mahle. I’m only giving a tentative because I think I need more time on it to determine the longevity. Also if I had to do it over again I think I’d go with the 30 micron version. 10 micron is kind of overkill and the 30 micron might have a longer service interval.

https://www.holley.com/products/plumbing_an_fittings_and_hose/vapor_guard/vapor_guard_fuel_filters/parts/730155ERL

Throttle Position Sensor - KTM 2019-20

Knowledge Group: Please advise  what voltage target I should be aiming for.  Are the new MYs different than the '16s?   .64 is mentioned online.

Thanks

18 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Knowledge Group: Please advise  what voltage target I should be aiming for.  Are the new MYs different than the '16s?   .64 is mentioned online.

Thanks

You really just need to get rid of that piece, it has been causing you nothing but heartache and pain.

Since you seem to be a really nice fella, and people do talk about you,  I tell you what I will come over at any time of your convenience and pick the bike up, leaving in its place one more suited to for you and will even let you choose.

DR650 or a KLR.

What time you want me there?

45 minutes ago, DSM8 said:

You really just need to get rid of that piece, it has been causing you nothing but heartache and pain.

Sorry, but I am going to disappoint you.  Not letting the '16 escape my aging hands.  Working with RiggerDan on his Cutting Edge project. If you have ever ridden with RD, you know he is capable of cutting you.  We are working toward that last 2 degrees of perfection.

🤺

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Thanks

Check your email. Sent it 3 days ago. Setting for 2018 500exc-f is .400 +/-.001 volts. Probably same for Dan's bike. 

Thanks Jim,  I finally saw your email. We will report back

.400 is at closed throttle. The. 64 May be the number at idle. 

Copy, That is the big change from the pre-17 units.  The TPS moves ( according to JD Tune ) with throttle movement vs one setting for the '16s.

Having Second Thoughts though: Do I really want RiggerD's bike running better?

1 hour ago, Bagstr said:

Having Second Thoughts though: Do I really want RiggerD's bike running better?

Dave I will always follow your lead as you have guided me safely and creatively over the years, though a little extra HP under the hood never hurt anyone 

Wrapping up this endless conference call today and heading to your neck of the woods 

I'll text before I leave 

Secret Intel Requirement:  Whoa and Wow, the rotation of the throttle body is a two man and a drink server project. RD came over and we reset his throttle position sensor to .40. The reset is the easy part, rotating the throttle body to get access requires removal of the engine brace and sticky rubber boots fighting every step. Without " speaker phone " coaching from Arizona ( Amgems ), we would still be in the garage.  Tough rowing.

🚣‍♂️

Good Morning George,

Can you share your thoughts about what you are learning regarding the two New and Newish Adventure bikes; namely the 790R and T-700.  I know you have a big following over at the monster site, but that is a good slog to grasp what is happening.

For reference,  they weigh about the same I believe. 425 and 430lbs + -  .

Thank You     👂

19 Projects I am doing as a result of being Isolated at the house:

1.  Pick-Up the Leaf Blower from the Home Depot Ryobi factory repair.

https://dirttricks.com/measuring-chain-wear/

https://dirtbiketest.com/product-tests/dirt-tricks-520-chain-wear-gauge/

Project 2.

Six Page engineering discussion on chain wear and when to replace. 

Just the Facts. In my spare time, I plan on making one of these gauges.

🤔

Edit:

Well took all the measurements, then realized the difficulty of the long narrow cut in the body of my aluminum strip. Just bought 'em.

The dirt tricks article is very good. The way they put tension on the chain when measuring it is something I've never done. Always just measured them on the bench. Not as good as pulling out all the clearance with some force like they describe. Thanks professor. 

More on the Mahle fuel filter: The newer filters (the ones that split) are made in Turkey. Originally they were made in Austria (maybe less likely to split? I hope.). I had a Turkey filter split on my brand new 2018. KTM fixed that for me. I realized the country of origin change just recently when i changed out the filter. I have a bag of Austrian made filters. Bought it a few years ago before the switch to Turkey. 

3 hours ago, amgems said:

More on the Mahle fuel filter: The newer filters (the ones that split) are made in Turkey. Originally they were made in Austria (maybe less likely to split? I hope.). I had a Turkey filter split on my brand new 2018. KTM fixed that for me. I realized the country of origin change just recently when i changed out the filter. I have a bag of Austrian made filters. Bought it a few years ago before the switch to Turkey. 

Yep. Been that way for awhile. Does seem like the failures correlate with the change. Before 2017 failures didn't seem to be a big issue. I now have about 300 miles on the Earl's 10 micron filter. So far so good.

9674b8a2-b68a-4771-981f-8907107cc4cb?siz

Project 3.

The Perfect Moto Camp Tent -    Here is a link to an interesting vestibule tent   

https://www.rei.com/product/143382/msr-hubba-tour-1-tent

I know 4 lbs. but man,,,  Look at the room for your gear.  How many nights have you fought in vain to keep your gear and supplies dry? 

You Adventure Guys have room for this thing.   What do you think?

Edit:  Watching the video, it looks like the rain fly is permanently attached. Suggesting a hot box in the summer.

On 3/22/2020 at 11:50 AM, Bagstr said:

https://dirttricks.com/measuring-chain-wear/

https://dirtbiketest.com/product-tests/dirt-tricks-520-chain-wear-gauge/

Project 2.

Six Page engineering discussion on chain wear and when to replace. 

Just the Facts. In my spare time, I plan on making one of these gauges.

🤔

Edit:

Well took all the measurements, then realized the difficulty of the long narrow cut in the body of my aluminum strip. Just bought 'em.

Great info. A friend recently gave me a Ktm chain wear tool that I wasn't quite sure how to use. Just went out to the garage and checked my 500. 93 hours and 2100 miles on a Regina o-ring chain and plenty of life still left !

I have established separate categories in the Equipment & Technical section to eliminate threads like this. The original equipment and technical thread has valuable information in it, but is to hard to find the information that is buried within it. There is lots of valuable info in this thread, but it needs to be where people can find it. I am going through and putting equipment and technical thread and moving each topic to its appropriate category. Please try to keep information organized. Thank you