Bagstr

Bagstrs Trivial Mechanical and Equipment Issues

Moto Ownership is about Riding and Maintenance. The Ride Reports take care of that side. I had a thought to compile a number of these little maintenance issues here in one thread.

We will see how valuable this concept is.

Front Axle Grease Seals

Six months or more past, I replaced the grease seals on the front axle of my 2016 KTM. Un-knowingly they were installed incorrectly. The seals have a sharp outer lip and the steel spacer has a narrow groove ring. When installing the grease seal ( by tapping in with a socket ), the seal can be pushed too far toward the center of the hub. This can cause said lip to be out of alignment with the spacer groove. In my case this misalignment created a high friction point and premature wearing of the grease seal.

I believe my spacers are OEM, and when installed the narrow seal groove is 1 or 2 mm outside of flush with the hub. Leave the grease seal that same distance and you won't have pre-mature seal failure.

Dave

New install

i-NX3Jcs3-L.jpg

i-TFGLfnn-L.jpg

If you ever need to get that axle nut off you know whom to call
KKuge is experienced in removing them with extreme force

On 12/21/2019 at 12:25 PM, paulmbowers said:

Good to know!

HHmmmm,  moderately a concern to know.  Personally, I would ( and did Not ) prefer to live in ignorant bliss until The End on a desert wash, miles from rescue.

Oh, Wait, I had immediate rescue.  "Who Me, Worry?"

6 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

HHmmmm,  moderately a concern to know.  Personally, I would ( and did Not ) prefer to live in ignorant bliss until The End on a desert wash, miles from rescue.

I ordered the parts today and some tools- cha-ching!

But as long as I use fresh fuel and stay out of 6th gear in a sand wash, the worst case is just riding very slowly back to the truck. It will wear out rather than catastrophically fail.

A couple weeks it will be as good as new.

So was it rings or valves other than the picture not details so what are we talking about here?

On 12/26/2019 at 9:13 AM, DSM8 said:

So was it rings or valves other than the picture not details so what are we talking about here?

Mine's rings. 

I’ll replace piston, cylinder- r&I valves, replace only if necessary, clean head and valves, new valve seals and misc gaskets etc. 

I’m also replacing coolant hoses, including the frame T  

partsbill so far (with discounts) is about $1k

If you can get the silicon replacement hoses, I used those on bikes with over 100K miles they are the bomb

3 hours ago, DSM8 said:

If you can get the silicon replacement hoses, I used those on bikes with over 100K miles they are the bomb

Yup. Already waiting for me.  

35 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Yup. Already waiting for me.  

So honest question. Why replace the radiator hoses or remove the thermostat? It's not like they are a high failure item. Bling?

Hoses just fail over time 

thermostat is more a bike specific thing imho

16 minutes ago, DSM8 said:

Hoses just fail over time 

thermostat is more a bike specific thing imho

In my experience if they're well cared for (i.e - regular coolant replacement, etc) they last a very long time but I'm pretty anal about inspecting things during routine maintenance so would never reuse a hose that looks suspect. Actually never seen one fail other than impact related. 

On bikes like the ktms what happened to me was a breakdown of the hose internally and it started to weep along the cords to the ends Under the top rubber layer.

dunno why but the silicon replacement never failed like that in my experience  

2 hours ago, DSM8 said:

On bikes like the ktms what happened to me was a breakdown of the hose internally and it started to weep along the cords to the ends Under the top rubber layer.

dunno why but the silicon replacement never failed like that in my experience  

Interesting. Out of 10 water cooled bikes I’ve owned haven’t seen that but it’s certainly something to look out for.

On 12/26/2019 at 9:13 AM, DSM8 said:

See Page 2 of the Sorry 450 Thread - 

FuelGauge-L.jpg

Discovered a little known ( to me ) fact regarding the fuel quick connect some of us are using. The 5/16 hose connection part from Motion Pro or Marshall's Industrial Hardware has a backflo piston internally. I was under the impression that the tank would leak out if the piston was broken or missing. Not so! Last week I put too much side pressure on the parts as I removed the tank and the delicate piston fractured. Upon realizing this, I pulled the piston out and noticed that no fuel was leaking from the tank. Mmm, after 10 seconds of careful thought, I realized that he pump was limiting flow of fuel. 

I believe there are two versions of the Quick Disconnect in circulation; with and without the backflo piston.  The backflo version would be needed for a non-fuel pump tank. Some say the O-rings from the units bought in the plumbing department are not fuel durable and the Vitron type are needed. Personally, I have had no issue.  Amgems sent me some of the official O-rings and I carry them for back-up.

new-cpc-90-degree-5-16-2-piece-chrome-pl

Or, with a better image, if I do say so myself. But this is the pipe thread version and we need the 5/16 barbed type as above.

22646385150_00c4798d89_c.jpg

I have a couple of those very ones they are my go to QD fuel couplings I use on all off road vehicles both 2 and 4 wheeled.

I like the fact they are not made out of plastic and have a multi year service life with the o-ring being the only real wear part.

Wait this is Basgst we are talking about so prolly the spring is a wear part too.

😂

Questions, Questions.

All these parts are made by the same manufacturer ( CPC ) plastic or  metal.  My stock aluminum male fitting from the throttle body fits these plastic plumbing female fittings. Does this brass unit fit the stock aluminum fitting?  And DSM8, are you buying locally at some auto supply?

Harrington Industrial, Kearny Mesa is a local distributor

Paul,  The right angle fitting needs to be threaded??

https://www.hipco.com/stores/san-diego/

https://www.cpcworldwide.com/

https://www.humphrey-products.com/content/viton-vs-buna-which-seal-for-your-applications

Yes, the CPC's all interfit- I have a fuel transfer hose hat uses the cheapest aquarium fittings, and they fit right into my metal ones.

To be clear- the metal fittings are FAR more robust on the outside, but I'm not sure they're stronger in the valve portion inside. They both use identical orings.