Bluhdow

KTM/Husky 500(ish) Questions

Been out of the dual sport game for a bit while I focused my riding efforts on the track. But thinking about getting back into DS with a nicer machine than my previous DRZ. Ideally I could find a KTM/Husky 500(ish) that's already built and ready for the desert. Looks like that's about an 8k ask for something decent, and used. Just wondering about the engine life on these bikes. Initial looks suggest that anything under 100 hours and 5000 miles should be pretty fresh, but I'm curious to know what kind of shelf lives these engines have before serious work ($1k+, at a shop) needs to be invested.

Looks like there's a ton of bikes out there. Any years/makes/models/mods to be cautious of?

Hoping to get back on a plated bike in 2020.

Thanks!

If I were you I'd grab VanJoosten's bike like RIGHT NOW.

But to give a more comprehensive answer, KTM suggests 250 hours before piston replacement, about $1200 at a shop. My bike has almost 350 hours and over 10 miles and is still ripping. I believe the 2014 KTM 500 is the finest motorcycle ever conceived by nonspecifichigherpower.

Thanks! I saw that bike. If it's still around in a few months (it won't be, I'm sure) I'll scoop it up. For now I'm still exploring. Got a few life items to sort our first. 😃

250 hours is a good benchmark. Give's me supreme confidence that anything in the 75 - 100 hour range is rock solid. 

I also toyed with the idea of a 350 exc, but it's a little too close to my 250 two stroke, which I can pull out any time for technical OHV areas. I think the 500 is a better compliment to the track bike.

2 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

My bike has almost 350 hours and over 10 miles and is still ripping. I believe the 2014 KTM 500 is the finest motorcycle ever conceived...

X2 on vanjoosten bike.

I've seen you ride, but only 10 miles in 350 hours? You're faster than that!

Agreed, 2014 KTM 500 is a great bike

10,000 miles easy with proper maintenance. I just did the top end in one of my KTM's at 12,000 miles just as preventive maintenance. It was still running strong but a little low on compression.

You can buy the parts for a top end for $300 to $500, depending on aftermarket or OEM, and do it yourself. If it's a little bit beyond your ability, there are plenty of people on here, including me, that would be more than willing to assist.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

But to give a more comprehensive answer, KTM suggests 250 hours before piston replacement, about $1200 at a shop. My bike has almost 350 hours and over 10 miles and is still ripping. I believe the 2014 KTM 500 is the finest motorcycle ever conceived by nonspecifichigherpower.

I might try to snatch that one also in a few months if still around...All set up and clean.

One of you better buy that. That’s probably a $16000 build. 
I know the bike. It’s solid, clean, and was treated nicely. Not a ride it like you stole it bike like mine are. 
It’s only money. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ken S said:

One of you better buy that. That’s probably a $16000 build. 
I know the bike. It’s solid, clean, and was treated nicely. Not a ride it like you stole it bike like mine are. 
It’s only money. 

Vanjoosten is a good rider, so that bike has not spent a lot of time getting slammed into the dirt.  Hard to fine one that is as clean and set up as nicely as that.

3 hours ago, Mikey777 said:

Vanjoosten is a good rider, so that bike has not spent a lot of time getting slammed into the dirt.  Hard to fine one that is as clean and set up as nicely as that.

Thanks Mikey! It's actually never been dropped since I've owned it. I'm getting too old to hit the ground...The only scratches are on the stickers from the Giant Loop bags.

I've also seen a few of the 450 EXC-F Six Days around. Anyone have any experience with those? Looks like they come with some of the upgrades baked in. 

Would it be pretty comparable to a KTM/Husky 500(ish)? Or are they a different animal?

Thanks!

31 minutes ago, Bluhdow said:

I've also seen a few of the 450 EXC-F Six Days around. Anyone have any experience with those? Looks like they come with some of the upgrades baked in. 

Would it be pretty comparable to a KTM/Husky 500(ish)? Or are they a different animal?

Thanks!

I've gone back and forth between 450cc and 500+cc bikes for the last 10 years or so. They are very comparable for the average rider. The Six Days option has a few bolt on upgrades, but nothing that significantly improves performance IMO. They are very nice bikes and I'd jump on one in the right price range. 

I have been quite happy with my 450 XCW.  Chose it because Chilly White opined that the 450 is easier to handle in those loose rocky/nasty spots vs the 500. Who knows, but Jimmy Lewis would say the lower rotating mass makes the bike easier to change direction. Both bikes are excellent for the intended purpose. Just hang on; they will moto through Any situation.

Bags

1 hour ago, Bluhdow said:

Thanks!

I have a 2017 ktm 450xc I know way different then the 450 six days but prefer it to the 500exc for harder stuff both work great in open desert. I've been on 4 ktm 450s 2015-2018 and they ride mellow compared to older race 450 no crazy hits.

1 hour ago, Bp619 said:

I have a 2017 ktm 450xc I know way different then the 450 six days but prefer it to the 500exc for harder stuff both work great in open desert. I've been on 4 ktm 450s 2015-2018 and they ride mellow compared to older race 450 no crazy hits.

From someone who rides an old 07 RFS 450exc Crazy hits are good when necessary. It’s all in the right wrist and the index fingers👍🏽

Scooped up a 2013 KTM 500 EXC: 75 hours, 1600 miles, great condition, $6,200. 

It's mostly stock, so it's going in for some of the essentials (headlight, seat, etc.). 

Back in the enduro game! Looking forward to joining a ride soon. I'm in Bonsall and have already hit a few of the local spots (SMH is still a nightmare of slippery, rutted, slow, nasty riding). Definitely open to exploring more if anyone is local and knows that area better than I do. I live off of Gopher Canyon.

Thanks all!

• Like 1

Exactly purchase. I have a burly skid plate for sale if you need one?