Huntndogs

Who here rides a 350?

Interested in hearing your views on the 350 KTM/Husky. Do you wish you went bigger (500)? How is it in deep sand/ road manners? Just continuing my research before pulling any triggers. A T700 is likely in my future, but like TNTMoto, I will wait for a used one.

Depends on riding and size of person, for me 450,500 for my Baja bike. Which includes Anza borrego all the way to gnarly single track in Baja. Had a 2015 husky 350 and didn't fit my riding style. Fat and lazy with a side of torque. 350 i just had to ride too hard to get in the meat.

The 500s are all pretty light these days.  I bought a 500 because it was actually lighter than  my old 450.  It's a really good bike for everything except maybe the gnarliest singletrack, where it is a little much when compared to something with a smaller displacement engine, but that's probably because of how short I am.

Your welcome to try my Beta 500. 
Lower than the KTM500 and turns - rides like a smaller bike. 

Great feedback, I am a larger gent and that’s what I don't like about the 250, have to rev it to get going. Even though it will supposedly handle it, I worry about longevity and it’s just tiring. I definitely do more open desert and two track than singletrack. I guess I keep trying to talk myself out of a 500 class bike since I have only been back on a bike for a couple years now and I am afraid it would be too much, but I suppose it’s all in the right wrist and use of clutch. 

Ken, I sent you a private message on FB a while back...

For the type of riding you're talking about , I'd say the 500 for sure. The powers very controllable. I smoothed mine out even more with a weight on the clutch.

I'm like DirtDame; the only time the 500 is a challenge is in the super technical stuff and that's just because of my short legs. It's plenty capable.

I have a 350 & 500.  The 350 remains my favorite bike.  Feels smaller/lighter than the 500 even though the actual weight difference is less than 10lbs.  Also seems much easier to ride in technical terrain (to me) though I don’t do much of that anymore.  

That said, the 500 is my main dualsport.  You can be a bit more lazy with shifting and there’s less buzz when forced out onto the slab.  

I’ve taken both on week long trips with gear.  The 350 managed without difficulty.  

I’m no featherweight at ~235 before adding on any gear to body/bike.  Non issue with aftermarket suspension.  I have my 500 set up stiffer for 5.3gallon desert tank/bags.

If I could only have one of the two I would’ve opted for the 350 when I rode more challenging terrain because I’m more comfortable off-road in any terrain on that bike.  Now that I’m a bit older/more lazy, the 500 would be my choice.

• Like 1

i-sQKRCz2-L.jpg

The 350 is a Twin Cam and requires the cams to be removed to change the shim. The 450/500 is a single cam. Release a couple of set screws, slide out the cam axle and change the shim. Above is the single cam rocker.

I have owned a 350 and now the 450 XCW. The '16 was the last year with the " Open " ECU and non XPLOR suspension.

As far as pavement, there is no question that the big bore is better. For the forest, the 350 is best. For the open desert, I would choose the 450/500. I bought the 450 because people I trust claimed it handled the slow rocky climbs better than the 500.  The claim was that the off-idle acceleration was abrupt. Well the mapping on an XCW is different than the EXC. If you have a '16 or earlier Or aftermarket fuel tuner, that Off-Idle stuff can be smoothed.  No question that the 350 needs to be revved to make power in the sand or big hills. Less room for correcting if you back off the throttle.  I always have the power I need with the 450; can back off a tricky section and then hammer it and recover.

In terms of handling, I have heard it described as centrifugal inertia.  The bigger the motor, the less it want to change direction.

These are Both excellent motos.  It is a matter of how hard you want to work at your off-road projects.

Bags

• Like 1

My advice...don't waste your time with the 350. Just go with the 500. You've been doing enough riding now that you're ready to step up. The 500 is such a fun bike to ride in the desert...I guarantee you'll love it, or your money back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

My advice...don't waste your time with the 350. Just go with the 500. You've been doing enough riding now that you're ready to step up. The 500 is such a fun bike to ride in the desert...I guarantee you'll love it, or your money back.

Ya, I think I am there...It’s just a brand thing now.

I pretend to ride a '13 KTM EXC 350f.  After spending a decent amount of time with other riders, I wish I had the 500.  They are less finicky, the weight difference is nominal, and there is just more there when you need it (and you will need it).  Did a BDR on the 350f and got dogged on the long climbs.  In the tight twisty single track it is nice to have a light bike, but that is really more about controlling your rear brake and having good clutch control.

• Like 2

Here is my 2 cents

The 350 is superior for gnarly canyons, mountain single track and in a pinch a desert bike.

Personally I would pick a 450 over a 500 for a all around off road bike. The 450 turns better,

revs faster down low, never stalls in the nasty stuff, but is not a fast, say over 55 than the 500. 

I had a 05 450 exc for the last 5 years and loved it, but felt it was getting to old and sold it.

I now have a 15 500 exc this season and It is Ok, not as good in the dunes or tight stuff, but much

better at high speed desert and whoops. Hope This helps!

kyle

i

Kyle gives us good insight into the 350-450-500  character.  Many people overlook the 450 and default to the 500.  Personally, I don't need speeds over 60 and appreciate the nimbleness of the 450.     🕵️‍♂️

7 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Kyle gives us good insight into the 350-450-500  character.  Many people overlook the 450 and default to the 500.  Personally, I don't need speeds over 60 and appreciate the nimbleness of the 450.     🕵️‍♂️

Ditto my 450xcf is excellent in single track, feels better than buddies 500exc, but still way heavier feeling than my 300xc.

1 hour ago, Bagstr said:

What? You don’t like valves?

Each bike in my arsenal has their purpose

I ended up buying the Beta 390, great all around machine.

1 hour ago, Huntndogs said:

I ended up buying the Beta 390, great all around machine.

Sweet those are awesome bikes

Adding to this and not to hi jack the thread. Based on research the difference between 350 and modern 500 are negligible. 

However, my 06 525 has a much taller first gear, and i don't do a great job of on the feathering the clutch in and out in tighter washes/canyons. 

Thoughts on adding a 350 to the garage in addition to the 525?