simicrintz

Tire deflators

Trying to round out a Christmas wish list for Mrs. S. and she needs some stocking stuffer type ideas.  Thoughts on tire deflators and brand/purchase location?

Thanks all; Happy Thanksgiving!  

Is this the one, hobiee:  https://www.4wd.com/p/teraflex-ez-tire-deflator-kit-5028150/_/R-FNNT-5028150

It seems that you were using one similar on your compressor, Paul (I am trying to remember back to an old thread, and I ended up getting one of those).  I see suggestions on tire pressures that folks post and am just wondering how they are getting there.

I only use a Stick gauge, for the bike. this only takes second to deflate from 36 psi to 20 psi. The screw on pieces are for Jeeps and Big 4x4 tires with much more air volume than a bike. The dial gauge can get damaged easy.

download (1).jpg

download.jpg

I guess I see comments saying 12 pounds or 14 pounds and I can see missing 14 and ending up at 12 and not having anyway to get back up (I've been watching the pump thread also); do you think the stick is accurate enough, Udo?

When I was younger I just went out and rode; now I am worried that I don't have tubes, water, fuel, proper air, enough tools, recovery devices, etc.......

Have missus S save her money...tell her that you can use your knee.

image.png.79e2e3de9705c91b7277e15db66030d5.png

The Only way to go -  Form vs Function

If not the local dealer, then Rocky Mountain

Nothing, sticks, knees, gauges; I think I am more confused now than when I started!  I'm gonna Google "use your knee to adjust tire pressure" and go look for the gauge Bagstr sent also.

Road trip to AZ for Thanksgiving leaving soon (no bike going :( ); I will check in when I can and appreciate all the input.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

I have 10 different gauges and once in a wile, I compare them. and there are close enough. 

1 hour ago, Covered in Dust said:

I bought these for my Jeep. Works great for setting all 4 tires to same pressure.

Boulder Tools Tire Deflators and 80 PSI Tire Pressure Gauge - Adjustable, Automatic for car, Truck, Motorcycle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0L7JS2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_jjQ3DbXN1CRM5

These are great until they break off.  They add too much top-heavy to the valve stems if you are getting into nasty stuff.  Just an opinion of course.  I've had it happen twice but i'm no longer in the nice desert sands anymore either...............

14 hours ago, simicrintz said:

Is this the one, hobiee:  https://www.4wd.com/p/teraflex-ez-tire-deflator-kit-5028150/_/R-FNNT-5028150

It seems that you were using one similar on your compressor, Paul (I am trying to remember back to an old thread, and I ended up getting one of those).  I see suggestions on tire pressures that folks post and am just wondering how they are getting there.

Yes that's it

If this is for the bike then deflate to the desired PSI and get used to how much the sidewall deflects under hand pressure for that particular tire.

I find this to be the best way for me on the big adventure bikes, I am no longer dickering with gauges etc. but of course if you swap to a new tire then you have to adjust accordingly.

Here is my preferred deflater...

Image result for ice pick

2 hours ago, hobiee said:

These are great until they break off.  They add too much top-heavy to the valve stems if you are getting into nasty stuff.  Just an opinion of course.  I've had it happen twice but i'm no longer in the nice desert sands anymore either...............

I’ve never just left them on, just deflate then remove.

Back from AZ and just seeing this; thanks all!  Hope to have some time tomorrow to do some searching.

CiD; have you used those on your bike as well?  I hadn't thought much about it but Udo's comment about air volume and tire size has me wondering.