Bagstr

Received a call from a Friend Saturday

George of Suspension 101 is working on a Project.  " Hey I am putting this thing back together if you want to have a look at it,"

"Well, I am helping my son put together garage shelving. I will give you a call to see where you are when we finish."

i-fX2kZDM-M.jpg

i-jRnj63R-S.jpg

George had just returned from a shake-down run after revising the suspension. He is quite excited about the possibilities of this platform. " Good Bones "

I will say that the " Build Quality " is apparent. 

Thanks for the Preview George,  Good Luck trying to give the unit back to the owner.

Dave

• Like 1

I need! This is my Mate in Australia, they are heading out on a 5 day adventure media launch of the T700 there.  

EA2EE393-4E4E-4289-9542-F07F2C7C145C.jpeg

• Like 2

Just let see your Wallet. I have this sitting at home but my SS-$ are not enough to fill it up. The T700 must eat tires like I eat cookies. take a look at the roof from the truck.

Overland.jpg

I went to Pine Valley road for a ride right before Bagstr came by. Had to test the suspension mods and see if I had to go back in for fine tuning. About half way up Pine Valley road I found myself riding at a pretty aggressive pace. Actually a faster pace than on my 990 of many years.  I was jumping the bike I would guess 4 to 10 feet distances. The bike does everything better than my 990 except two areas. The 990 is way faster. I truly thought the T7 had traction control as I could get but a little bit of slide at speed in the wet on Viejas grade. I must say the traction was really good front and back. The power is just smooth as butter and even at 80mph very little vibration.  My 990 has more travel so it is a bit more plush. But even with 210mm of travel I found myself doing cross ups like Roger DeCoster in the olden days. (well almost) Want to take an inside line? Simply tap the front brake and take it. I had to jump into the face of a whoop to get the front end to clank. Never did bottom the rear. I set it up pretty aggressive as its doing Barstow to Vegas next week. The Yamaha simply handles better than the 990.

I would want more power even though I believe I am faster on the Yamaha than my KTM.  Just 10hp, so the front lofts without the clutch. I have never ridden a smoother powerband, ever.

Yamaha did a great job and I am thankful for the opportunity. By the way I went into the house for a moment and heard the T700 running. I ran outside aghast and there was Bagstr riding off down the road.             Good on ya!          Gave me a dollar for gas when he got back, so all good :)   Now what bike the T7 or the 790R. To hell with the new Knees.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Mr.JAJA said:

Just let see your Wallet. I have this sitting at home but my SS-$ are not enough to fill it up. The T700 must eat tires like I eat cookies. take a look at the roof from the truck.

Overland.jpg

That will haul a lot of cookies!

You know George, that test ride was worth at least $2.  Short jaunt on the pavement is no way to really evaluate anything related to dirt function. Plus the thing is geared for the street. Looked like a 45T sprocket back there. Did a few small radius circles in the concrete drive and the bike felt relaxed and not threatening to fold in half. Cable clutch and street gearing puts it light years away from my 450. All considered, feels immediately comfortable with that relaxed settled stability you feel on a dirt bike. Certainly that T700 would benefit from the Suspension 101 treatment for off-road use. Maybe I was just too cautious on someone else's bike, but I would be re-gearing for fire roads etc.

Then there are the Look of the thing. The seat and tail are low, like a street bike. Did the standard KTM kick over the seat and I was about six inches High. The Link rear shock resides quite low. Second purchase after a rear spocket would be a shock guard. The frame loops are low but the crank centerline is high with that 3" oil pan plus, Wait for It, the exhaust and Cat adding yet more height. Then you put the fuel tank on top. I am a fan of the low saddle-bag style tank. Two discs, who needs two discs?  The front definitely has the Adventure Style thing going. Spoke wheels check that box. Has the Dakar upright screen and display. 

Grabbed the bars and did the two hand pick-up simulation. Well, I could pick it up off the ground without too much trouble. Not easy but doable. The same semi-test of a 790 at the dealer had me a bit more concerned. Don't these things weigh about the same?

I have given serious thought to owning this type of bike. Every time I get close to one, Man it is a friggin' street bike.  I may look at the Honda CB500X sometime and just be done with any off-road pretense.  George, what increments of $5k would it take to bring the CB500X suspension up to average?  Like the days of yore; Great motor, crap suspension, Great price point.

Bagstr - SDAR Test Rider

Hijack: saw many CB500X in Canada/Alaska.  Most with Rally Raid upgrades.  
I think the Tenere 700 is probably just a bit more capable than those, mainly because it was designed as an adventure bike.

Pipe and Remap/new ECU, GET or Vortex I'm sure it won't be long for the power brokers to throw the hat into the Yamaha speed/power ring....or even Genuine Yamaha Rally race parts. More like this Akropovic equipped, Rally Tired, stripped down beast (prototype model).

tenere-700-prototype-action-002-d.jpg

I have never looked at a CB500x. Are there any adjusters on the forks and shock? And does the shock have a reservoir? If yes on those points I can make it work.

3 minutes ago, Suspenders said:

I have never looked at a CB500x.

I saw one once- all "rally equipped". It's not so much. Looks like a fun and nimble street bike.

First hard rain the bike packed mud in every crevice until it was unrideable and went on the truck.

I'm Livin' 17 year old.  That is the scale everything is measured.

😎

Oracle,  Can you imagine life lived through the eyes of you son?