Suspenders

T700 Yamaha Adventure

Cody from Camel Adv told me he has the only T700 in North America.

I am doing the suspension and it is on my rack for another week or so.

If you are considering one and want to take a look just let me know. Going to test it out at Corral to see how she handles soon as I am done.

In about 9 months the bike will be crushed.  Dang. Vin number shows it as the 15th bike off the assembly line.

• Like 1

I would like to see it when its back together George...BTW, Dave and I did 100+ miles yesterday and the trip into Bear Valley was great. The compression adjustment seemed to do the trick and I did not lose any more pinch bolts.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Champ said:

Crushed? As in crushed, crusher crushed? I don't understand/

I don't understand that either.  What's the reason?

25 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

I don't understand that either.  What's the reason?

I guess some manufacturers don't want certain test bikes to be sold.  There is a MV Agusta F4 that was a test bike.  The VIN was removed from the frame and the bike was used as a racing development machine.  After they were done with it, it sat for a while, then was given over to a dealer.  The dealer decided to sell the bike, though it will never be able to be registered as a vehicle, or have a pink slip.  It will be a "track only" bike or a nice conversation piece  for a collector.  It is for sale....last i heard, for 6k.  I would buy it myself if I had lots of money to throw away.  Anyway, most manufacturers probably don't sell test machines, and either keep them at their corporate offices...or scrap them.

2 hours ago, dirt dame said:

I guess some manufacturers don't want certain test bikes to be sold.  There is a MV Agusta F4 that was a test bike.  The VIN was removed from the frame and the bike was used as a racing development machine.  After they were done with it, it sat for a while, then was given over to a dealer.  The dealer decided to sell the bike, though it will never be able to be registered as a vehicle, or have a pink slip.  It will be a "track only" bike or a nice conversation piece  for a collector.  It is for sale....last i heard, for 6k.  I would buy it myself if I had lots of money to throw away.  Anyway, most manufacturers probably don't sell test machines, and either keep them at their corporate offices...or scrap them.

I guess I just don't understand scrapping them (but I'm old and see things differently!).  I get that it's a "test bike" but why not keep it and sell it as something special, if that's the case?  Seems unique and I gotta think there's a market for that.

Suspenders

Camel ADV, as in from Canada??  That's what I got from the interweb

Bagstr

20 hours ago, Huntndogs said:

Still seems like a waste.  They may be pre-production and need something to be "legal" but just crushing them seems wasteful.  I'm no tree hugger (can I still say that?!) but don't see the reasoning on crushing.

• Like 1

Yes out of Canada.

And I think Huntndogs article nailed it. Likely a certification issue and that is big money.

Follow the money.

Bike is pretty good right out of the box though, as I took a small ride before taking it apart.

When I was up at SWM USA HQ, Pete had at about 3 dismantled SWM500Rs each on its own pallet.

All were slated for destruction/crush per CA regulation. They were used for 50 state DS certification then to be destroyed by our silly regulations/laws.

The angle was being sought that these machines could be reassembled for closed course use only (no DS), which would be for advertisement showcase purposes to use for the endurance type events like the Glen Helen 8 and 24 hour events. I don't know if this went through or not.

So the crush comment is legit as I'm sure Yamaha is getting the machine certified for US use.

Maybe bring my 1200 by for a side by side comparison....

We use to have a Corvette ZR1 in Germany for testing the shocks in the late 80th and I had to bring it to the Cruscher with a Super 8 film Documentation for The Government and GM that it came out as a 3'x3' klump. That is the only Car, I ever did a Burnout on a Parking-lot with. "Parking lot of the Scrapyard". 30 Minutes later, and it where gone. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This is the one that I rescued not too long ago. I hid it near Temecula if anyone wants to take it for a ride. 😉

T700.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, SoCalMule said:

This is the one that I rescued not too long ago. I hid it near Temecula if anyone wants to take it for a ride. 😉

T700.jpg

All that crap on that bike is what I want to get away from.

• Haha 1

I find it easy to distinguish between a Street bike and an Off-road bike.  The front brake system; two discs equal Street, one disc equal Off-road.  That said, the bike shows  Adventure Style and hopefully a comfy seating position.

👀

28 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

two discs equal Street, one disc equal Off-road. 

So, my 990 is a street bike?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

I find it easy to distinguish between a Street bike and an Off-road bike.  The front brake system; two discs equal Street, one disc equal Off-road.  That said, the bike shows  Adventure Style and hopefully a comfy seating position.

👀

Then why did the ktm 950 and 990 adventure bikes come with two disk?

• Haha 1

The T700 Seating position is quite open compared to the 790 and do not think it would need risers for those that use them.

Couple of the  reasons I am even looking at this bike as a possible purchase is Yamaha seems to make bikes that are more dependable through more models than the other manufacturers. Like Honda used to be. Do not know if it is the testing they do or the engineers they employ.

The T7 also has fewer electronics. Had a 790R here last week that is now at GP due to anti theft device malfunction. Randomly will not start. Some have same issue with 1090 and I had same issue with 990.

Yes for hard core the suspension is still an unknown until after this T700 does the Barsow to Vegas run. That should give us some feedback. This is a rush job so the springs I have to provide for this rider will be soft for his weight but still will get some feedback.

Internally this suspension is nearly identical to the WR250R forks except 43mm instead of 46mm and the Africa twin specs are almost identical as well. But the tubes on this bike were not trashed internally upon inspection. The Africa Twin, earlier models anyhow would have been worn already.

Lots of info to gain in the next few months.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Covered in Dust said:

Yes and why the 950 SE came with one.

Awww.

This wounds me.

• Haha 1

Any bike can be an off road bike if you try hard enough.

I’m looking forward to seeing how this T7 fares.  My big Ténéré is an amazing touring bike that has some off road prowess. The 700 should bring more capability off road and still be able to cover big miles.