Crawdaddy

Thimble Trail “one way” signage?

My wife and I just drove home from the river....I noticed “one way” signage on Thimble trail (off S22) that I don’t recall seeing before?  When did Thimble trail become a one way trail from East to West?   And why would they choose that direction when most utilizing that trail would start from the west (Borrego Springs)?   We usually jump in off Inspiration wash and head East.....at least we used to before it became a one way in the opposite direction. :grrr:

From the East - one way signage

033F58FB-4F43-4068-B3BE-8BAE617592D2.jpeg

From the west - Do not enter signage

9ABE1AAC-C04F-4871-9E7A-76E7E8EE206A.jpeg

Yup. Happened a couple months ago.

KUG reported the ranger says increased traffic warranted the change. Drivers were pulling off to be passed or to stop and look at the flowers. Having ridden the trail many times over the last few years, I agree- the roadway has gotten wider and wider, with a lot of pull-outs, etc.

Last year at flower time it was pretty busy through there.

3 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

My wife and I just drove home from the river....I noticed “one way” signage on Thimble trail (off S22) that I don’t recall seeing before?  When did Thimble trail become a one way trail from East to West?   And why would they choose that direction when most utilizing that trail would start from the west (Borrego Springs)?   We usually jump in off Inspiration wash and head East.....at least we used to before it became a one way in the opposite directio :grrr:

From the East - one way signage

From the west - Do not enter signage

I believe that’s Truckhaven not Thimble.

7A510F1E-DFA5-41CB-A90D-3EFB8554DC2F.pngN

I know it as Truck Haven Trail too. Besides the point, that is lame that they made it a one way. Completely unnecessary if you ask me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

Yup. Happened a couple months ago.

KUG reported the ranger says increased traffic warranted the change. Drivers were pulling off to be passed or to stop and look at the flowers. Having ridden the trail many times over the last few years, I agree- the roadway has gotten wider and wider, with a lot of pull-outs, etc.

Last year at flower time it was pretty busy through there.

Yes some were getting stuck and environmental damage was supposedly starting to happen. 

14 minutes ago, kkug said:

Yes some were getting stuck and environmental damage was supposedly starting to happen. 

I've seen it.

That's a neat little trail, unfortunate to be one way, but I get the logic.

30 minutes ago, KTMrad said:

That's a neat little trail, unfortunate to be one way, but I get the logic.

Yeah it was a neat "little" trail, but it's become just another two track.

I'm generally not a fan of more signs and rules, but I can see their point. I'd rather have it open one way than have them close it altogether. I've run it in both directions, and there may be other SDAR members who've done so with me, but I shall not incriminate.

Snitches get stitches, dontcha know.

5 hours ago, PbdBlue said:

I believe that’s Truckhaven not Thimble.

7A510F1E-DFA5-41CB-A90D-3EFB8554DC2F.pngN

Whoops, I always thought it was Thimble on both sides of S22....I stand corrected.

9 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

Whoops, I always thought it was Thimble on both sides of S22....I stand corrected.

No worries. Just wanted to clear up any confusion.

That is a Flower Child issue. Not needed in the the Winter riding season.  Some would also say That is a weekend problem.

By the way, One Way is not going to solve the issue of SUVs pulling off the track. Will they make a rule that there is No Stopping as well?

Next Rule:  No Vehicles

Once there was a wilderness

Then came the graders

Followed by the Civics getting buried in the sand

People, people; What shall we do with all the people?

:dirol:  

5 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

That is a Flower Child issue. Not needed in the the Winter riding season.  Some would also say That is a weekend problem.

By the way, One Way is not going to solve the issue of SUVs pulling off the track. Will they make a rule that there is No Stopping as well?

Next Rule:  No Vehicles

Once there was a wilderness

Then came the graders

Followed by the Civics getting buried in the sand

People, people; What shall we do with all the people?

I agree with you- I don't, however, have a better suggestion than the one-way (as if that will solve the problem).

We all know we want to avoid having the smaller trails become the Inspiration Washes in the future. I just don't know how one would go about making that change. And I'm awfully glad they didn't just fence it off.

Pave Paradise, put up a parking lot
With a big hotel, a boutique, and a swinging hot spot.

3 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Not needed in the the Winter riding season. 

Don't get bogged down by logical thought...this is the easy peasy/thoughtless solution...….make it a one way and forget about it...…..will it solve the traffic issues in Spring?..….is the one way even set up in the right direction given the traffic flow from the west vs. east?.......dumb.....

Wouldn't it be nice if we could talk them into some motorcycle only trails in the park...but don't think that would ever happen. 

Oh, I was thinking of Truckhaven trail also...Thimble is the other side as others pointed out.

46 minutes ago, KTMrad said:

Wouldn't it be nice if we could talk them into some motorcycle only trails in the park...but don't think that would ever happen. 

I think they would be interested in all "no-motorcycle" trails if they could. Thank god for the license plate!:}

On the seventh day, God rode his motorcycle West to East down Truck-haven trail/road and said "it was good." 😎

• Like 2