Uncle Champ

04 KTM low brake pedal

On the wifes bike which hasn't been ridden since the motor got redone 6 months ago the brake pedal is so low as to have no rear brakes. It was low back then but worse now. I bled the brakes and had good fluid, checked the reservoir, checked the lines, looked at the caliper, all good. Still no brakes. Removed the adjusting rod and adjusted it almost all the way out and now have good brakes.

Maybe buy new pads even though the old ones look great?

I don't know what else it could be.

Ideas?

First, does the pedal pump up? Gets better after several rapid pedal strokes? If so, back to bleeding, because air is your enemy.

If not, then yes, check the pad thickness, then I'd check the pushrod. 

I'd rebuild the master cylinder and the caliper. Both easy inexpensive jobs and are frequent problem areas. 

All the way down on brake pedal I could feel the pads move just barely with my fingers. I haven't bought this type of parts before, any sources, or local brick and mortar shops recommendations would be appreciated.

I buy these type of parts from Rocky Mountain usually. There are several aftermarket options. I've had good luck with the All Balls brand. Tusk (Rocky Mountain proprietary brand) is a new option. I used 2004 KTM 450 EXC in my search. Parts are most likely the same for a 250 but double check.

Rear caliper rebuild kit: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/all-balls-rear-brake-caliper-rebuild-kit-p

Rear master cylinder kit: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/all-balls-rear-brake-master-cylinder-rebuild-kit-p?v=3524

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oracle said:

I buy these type of parts from Rocky Mountain usually. There are several aftermarket options. I've had good luck with the All Balls brand. Tusk (Rocky Mountain proprietary brand) is a new option. I used 2004 KTM 450 EXC in my search. Parts are most likely the same for a 250 but double check.

Rear caliper rebuild kit: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/all-balls-rear-brake-caliper-rebuild-kit-p

Rear master cylinder kit: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/all-balls-rear-brake-master-cylinder-rebuild-kit-p?v=3524

Likewise, I buy Rocky Mtn parts...….then I drive to LB's house :smile_anim::dirol::heh:

7 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

Likewise, I buy Rocky Mtn parts...….then I drive to LB's house :smile_anim::dirol::heh:

...and you always bring beer, so we're good...

OK so I took the advice ,ordered parts, checked with their tech dept all good for part numbers matching. Tackled the job and the parts weren't the same, no worries they are real similar, on the 4th attempt I took the rubber bits off the new Master Cylinder rebuild plunger and rerebuilt the old plunger. Works great ...except now the brake light is on all the time.

I adjusted  the rod that goes to the foot brake lever a couple of times and even took it out and brake light still on, hummm.

released the pressure by loosening the brake switch and then rebled the system. I have play at the brake lever, removed the rod, so pressure isn't coming from there, unscrewed brake switch to release pressure ( which had no residual pressure) only when I pushed brake lever down.

Maybe I broke the switch somehow? maybe  it is in the closed position somehow? I did not remove the switch from the bike, maybe I broke a wire, they look good.

Where does it plug in , maybe replace the switch?

Happy New Year.

The switch is another problem area. I've replaced several of them (on different bikes) over the years. Always disconnect the wire at the harness before removing the master cylinder...you don't want to twist the wires that come out of the top of the sensor at all. Luckly, the new sensor is cheap.

Thanks, turns out I have power to one side of the switch and when I power up the other wire the light gets real bright. So what I thought was brake light on was tailight and no brake light at all from front or rear brake, I'll order a new switch , of coarse I'll try brick and mortar stores locally first. It just gets me when they say we will happily order it and you can come back in a couple of days.

Well, if you are not getting brake light from either the front or rear brake lever activation, It's probably not your switch. I believe the brake light and tail light have different fuses. I'm sure you've checked the fuses? The harness in the tail light should have three wires. Neutral, brake, and tail light...start checking connections from the light forward. Wires should be color coded. Figure out which color is the brake light and start checking for voltage at each connector. There may be a couple connections leading up to the headlight and front turn signal.

I actually had the same problem just 2 or 3 weeks ago. Turned out being at connector up by the headlight that had a bunch of gunk in it.