Oracle

5 days in the dez with LB

It's Monday night now and I'm pooped. My kids are too. I guess I did my job.

I took off Thursday morning for Ocotillo Wells. I was by myself in the RV pulling enclosed trailer full of dirt bikes and a SXS. The kids would come out in a couple days and meet me. But before then, I had 2 days to myself, and I was stoked. 

I pulled into Ocotillo Wells Thursday just after 1pm. I unloaded the KTM and went on a solo mission. I kept it pretty simple and low speed. I didn't want to do anything stupid on my first trip of the season. Not to mention...the place was empty and I was alone.  I guess some people have to work during the week or something. Good for me I guess. I ended up on top of one of the high points in the park and watched the sun fade for the day. I headed back to the RV to grill up a nice bone in rib eye and enjoy a frosty cold worlds most refreshing beer. I was lights out by 9pm and got a solid 9 hours of sleep. That doesn't happen at home.

Friday I got up and wanted to do a more serious ride. I hit some of the mud hills, explored some new areas, and eventually found myself going west bound in Fish Creek. I hit some of the side trails off of Fish Creek North, that I've never ridden before. Most of the time I ride right by them not giving them more than a glance and thought that some day I need to check out the side trails. I explored three of them...all out and backs and nothing special. I made my way back out to Fish Creek and continued west. I was going to be an outlaw and ride up Diablo Drop and figure it out from there.

I ended up getting a rear flat when my valve stem sheered off. I have no idea why. I was in total cruising mode and wasn't hard on the throttle at all. But I had brand new Tusk dual sport tire on my bike and the knobbs on these tires are tall and significant. I found myself in a wide area of the wash, in direct sunlight, and 90 degree heat. I didn't look forward to changing the tube in those conditions so I decided to turn around and ride east looking for some shade and a rock I could prop my bike up on. I found a good spot and got to work about 1/2 mile down. I knocked out a tube change in about 15 minutes. It wasn't my first rodeo. Just as I was packing my tools up, three guys came by on adventure bikes. They checked on me and we chatted a bit. One of them ended up being a forum member (board name escapes me...fuzzy something?).

I got back underway and continued my adventure. Ended up doing 100 mile day and a full tank of gas. Back at camp I was still the only one there. I cooked dinner as the sun set and enjoyed the peace and quite...because I knew it wasn't going to last. Another 9 hours of sleep and I was feeling great.

Saturday I got up and headed back to Ramona on my 500 so that I could make it to my youngest son's last football game of the season. It turned out to be an awesome game with a 33 - 6 win over Fallbrook. After the game, I loaded up the 500 in my truck and the kids and I headed back out to OW.

We spent the rest of Saturday, all day Sunday, and the first part of Monday riding. My youngest is still only 12 but his riding skill is getting better. We ended up doing an 80 miles loop and by the time we got back, all the kids were sore and smiling. They are already talking about the next trip. I can't wait either. 

20191107_141339.thumb.jpg.9a5b63a4c4d5d60528a99d017ba89623.jpg20191108_195132.thumb.jpg.63e01dcff8ed41ddbef8ae3a31c684f4.jpg20191110_101542.thumb.jpg.dbe438b36b96d124d06904c37da926b2.jpg25498178_10212465362202510_9109061022295801088_n.jpg.83546d88d6da67b55b02d6d1e6021a68.jpg23795410_10212289263760159_1088768393585315521_n.thumb.jpg.6a34903f94fbb78fd37c389f8aecdf37.jpg20191111_104113.thumb.jpg.08d63a97cb00d25a5420aadf186930d5.jpg20191110_130557.thumb.jpg.47cb39875a75339645ca560cf4fbeb66.jpg

• Like 4

The best of memories. This trip we rode further and faster than ever before. That makes me proud as a dad and also makes it more fun for all of us. We are now maxing out our fuel capacity. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Covered in Dust said:

Great job LB, wish I could have made it by for a day. 

CiD

Me too. I could have used "supervision" changing a tube in Fish Creek on Friday...:heh:

Awesome, thanks for posting. I dream of riding with my daughters (12&14). I have an eye out on CL and stuff for some beginners bikes, they’re showing interest.

Now that season is here We should do SDAR “family” camp/ride weekend(s)?!

• Like 1

Family time out on the bikes...….the best...….keep it up...….time passes way too quickly...….:good:

• Like 1

Last picture of my kid in the desert is 8 years ago.  :(

Go a lot take pictures, ban the TV in the motorhome.

• Like 1

Thats what it's all about.  Nothing better than having your kids embrace the sport you love.  Even if they only enjoy it for a couple years and move on, you'll still all have the memories and talk about those days for the rest of their lives.  It's what we are supposed to be doing with our kids!

My daughter and I talk regularly about the ski patrol days from 20 years ago.  My son and I talk and ride motorcycles to this day.  We never talk about the homework they did, the family vacations . . . . it's always about the 'hard' stuff, the ADVENTURES we had together.

Good stuff!  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 3

Well done LB, there was a lot of great stuff on that outing that can never be replaced.  Those are precious times.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Great write-up LB, Beautiful family enjoying being together. :good:

• Like 1