BSon2or4

In Recovery

Well, it's official, I'm gonna have to start wearing clothes again.  No more hospital gowns cuz I'm heading to my Skilled Nursing Facility at 3:00 P.M., an address will follow once I get settled in.  Well, I guess I'm on my way to recovery... Except for the two huge tears in my rotator cuff that the staff ignored to focus on the leg.  The excuse, "We had to get you to where you are ambulatory before addressing a secondary concern."  In otherwords, we need more deductibles paid.  But I'm not bitter... I just can't use my right arm.  But I digress.  I look forward to getting well enough to see everybody at the next meeting if I'm well enough.

• Like 1

Well, I have arrived... Land of the lost minds and odors of elderly sunndowners en masse.  This must be Kaiser Permanente's method of ensuring a rapid recovery or a quick death.  But the address as promised:

304 North Melrose Drive

Vista, CA 92083

Room 104A

Warning... If you plan on visiting for any amount of time it's BYOC (Bring your own chair), and that's not a joke.  Catch y'all later.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BSon2or4 said:

Well, I have arrived... Land of the lost minds and odors of elderly sunndowners en masse.  This must be Kaiser Permanente's method of ensuring a rapid recovery or a quick death.  But the address as promised:

304 North Melrose Drive

Vista, CA 92083

Room 104A

Warning... If you plan on visiting for any amount of time it's BYOC (Bring your own chair), and that's not a joke.  Catch y'all later.

Sorry to hear of your new situation but having witnessd that with another buddy I expeced that . 

Well, went for the follow up appointment to check the healing process of the incision and for removing the stitches only to find they were single point lacing.  I was surprised to find out that I had healed over the loop end so as to have to cut them at the knot end, after some digging of course.  With that my surgeon's philosophy is, "Don't prolong the pain, just get it over with.", hence she began digging, clipping, and pulling out my lacings like she was trying to pull start a chainsaw.  With that I grabbed the edge of the exam table and asked for a brief break between laces to which she replied, "Nope, gonna get'em all done in one shot."  At that moment I realized that my doctor might be a bit sadistic as I did see a bit of a smile on her face as she was doing this to me.  Once done she had her nurses assistant apply steri strips over the mildly leaking holes in my leg, followed by some gauze and bandages to hold it all in place.  Aaaah, just another leg of the road to recovery... Read that as you will, that's all the pun I can take in one day.  I hope everybody is doing as well or better than I.  Until next installment.  Hasta.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, BSon2or4 said:

be a bit sadistic as I did see a bit of a smile on her face as she was doing this to me.

Good thing she was not working on your Posterior or more !. That said I am glad you have a good attitude . 

Yeah, anything other than a good attitude in this situation isn't helpful.  Now character, with this incident, I've built enough to rival the Tower of Babel.  But I digress, as it's been real educational from the insurance standpoint.  Being insurance poor has been a big plus as I could be paying easily $500,000.00 by this point, and that definitely contributes to the attitude when faced with the bills that I actually do have to pay.  With that I'm off to physical therapy.  See y'all later.

Well, yesterday was D-day for me.  The D being discharge, and boy is it a change in mechanics.  My house I can get in and out of without issue, but the one thing about owning a house built in '61 is that it's not exactly ADA compliant.  The wheelchair doesn't fit through any of the interior doors, only the entry doors from my garage and front porch.  But I'm managing nicely.  I'm settling in nicely but Mrs. BS would state otherwise as she says I'm a bit short fused as of late.  A condition I'm sure will subside once I get the groove of operating around our house has been smoothed out.  As for visitors I'll have to take a temporary stay on those until I get into the schedule for my outpatient PT and OT , which I'll post after my Friday primary care follow-up if they give it to me, gotta love Kaiser.  Until next update, ride safe, ride often, and have fun.

• Like 2

Gotta be a great feeling (even with the "challenges") to be back in your own home!  Settle in and enjoy your "new" surroundings, and heal quickly!

Well, I figured that it's time for an update as I've been working at it for the past couple of months.  I'm still in a wheelchair so I'm still on 4 wheels (The walker has 4 wheels as well, something about heavy duty for big people, hmm.) and the range of motion is coming along nicely, 106 degrees (Matches my temperature from when they gave me the wrong antibiotics quite nicely) with a slow but steady progression.  The lymph edema in my leg is adding about 30 lbs when including my hardware.  The monthly X-rays☢️ that they have me doing to check the bone graft indicate new growth (Not like a pregnancy at all but with how many X-rays I've had I'm sure SOMETHING is growing inside of me) as there is visible shadowing where there was once jagged points clearly visible.  My Orthopedics Dr. says that with that I'm officially given full weight bearing status, so I can start learning to walk again, :thumbsup_anim:yaay, on with the torture:girl_devil: of re-growing the damaged muscle that they scraped out of my leg.  (Cue the Forrest Gump voice for quote), "They say it's one of them million dollar wounds, but the government must be holding on to that money for me and that's all I've got to say about that."  Now with that I'm off to torture and some morphine to dull it down a bit.  Ride safe everybody and look out for inattentive drivers.🤙

• Like 3

Wow progress but that's crazy, hope for the best

Nice that you are keeping up your spirits! Onward! Heal well.

Keep up the great work and spirit Brad👍👍

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I’ve been wondering how you’re doing?

When I get the chance to downsize the trauma pics  I have recently unearthed I'll post them because if there aren't pics then it didn't happen.  Right?  I've been digging them up and organizing the raw files for the lawyer, so, once that's been settled then I can post.  Thanks for all of the well wishes.

Teamwork with your wife is incredable . Glad you are coming along. 

Well, it's been a fun year in review, figured that I should give a bit of an update for those that would like to hear about it.  My leg is still healing.  I have a lot of hardware in there and there's an exchange program going on in there.  Once I no longer need what is in there, when the bone looks less like a sponge and more like a concrete pipe around the metal rod inside my femur, along with the plate running down the outside of my femur as well, those will be removed to prepare me for a new knee.  For the time being the progress on the PT of the leg has plateaued giving way to the surgery that finally occurred on my shoulder.  There are now 8 brand new incisions in my shoulder.  They cut loose my bicep to sew up the two complete and one partial rotator cuff tears then reattaching the bicep.  Kinda like taking off the plastics for parts access on the bikes, had to remove the bicep for repair access.  With that I'm set to go in for a whole new series of PT to recover from that.  Other than that they've ramped down the pain meds and ramped up the use of ice.  Trying to keep positive with the confinement required to keep me from the bull ish goin' round but it's not easy.  Sorry I haven't been a bit more involved around here but the uses for a one armed one legged tech is limited and the increase in pain has required a lot more concentration/meditation.  Until the next installment...  Watch out for those lane changing cagers and be safe.

• Like 2

Thanks for the update, glad to hear you are making progress.  

Yeah, thanks for the update, I was just thinking about you recently. Please reach out if you wanna talk. Say hello to Kim.
Stay safe and positive Brad👍👍

Sorry to hear your still going down this road but glad to here it had been positive in nature