Sign in to follow this  
Bagstr

GPSMAP 66i - Here we go Again

Two Devices in one case could actually " save money ".  Downside is that the communicator is on the the bike when you are down and need help.

None the less, entertaining.       👀

These remind me somewhat of swimming pool automation; both are great and serve a purpose, but the demand is somewhat low so prices stay inflated.   It costs people thousands of dollars to program their pool equipment and turn a few things on remotely, which are very basic functions, but there are only so many pools overall and only a fraction of the pool buyers choose this.  Supply and demand, right?

The thing that bothers me is that unlike pool automation, these things can and do save lives.  But they basically do one thing and are "useless' until they are needed.  When they are priced so far out of reach as to be considered, people (like me) do not consider them.  Back to supply and demand.....

34 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Two Devices in one case could actually " save money ".  Downside is that the communicator is on the the bike when you are down and need help.

None the less, entertaining.       👀

It's interesting but I think I prefer a separate GPS. I have my Inreach paired to my old Iphone which resides on my chest protector in an Otterbox case plus I use the phone for taking pictures as well. Very convenient and if the Iphone gets damaged or goes dead I can still work from the Inreach directly. As you mentioned though the price seems high you will have more money invested in a separate gps and Inreach. I just bought a Montana 610 since my 600 is getting long in the tooth. Montana = bigger screen for my old eyes and I like the form factor of the Montana better.

Randy,

Is that 610 screen any easier to read?  Depending on the angle of the sun, I only see my 600 half the time. These eyes are not getting any sharper.

Dave

To be honest I just got it. Sitting here in the office it looks perhaps slightly better but that just may due to the fact that my 600 has been through hell. I don't have too much difficulty with the sun but I do have it mounted more horizontal than most. Perhaps that's why but I don't know. Also I use maps more than tracks these days (for reasons I won't elaborate on here). I convert my gpx tracks into custom maps. The conversion program adds a black outline to the trackline which enhances it's visibility substantially.