SpaceCowboy

Amateur Suspension tuning does not end well

first d38 race of the season I was getting some suspension packing and the associated tail end swapping through whoops. Ok, I’ll go tune that out before the next race, easy right? 

Fast forward a couple weekends to oct. 11 and I’m on my way out to ocotillo wells. Just the old 450x on my hitch carrier and me. Planned on tuning that shock and having a nice day of solo desert blasting. 

Get to a friends property on the south side of the highway close to the blue inn. Camp the night and have a small breakfast. Water and food in my backpack. 

Take off down pole line and find a nice long section of whoops As my tuning area.  Do some Runs, turn some clickers, bike feels more stable. 

About 45 minutes into my wonderful morning I think I’ve got it pretty dialed. 4th gear is feeling great, I click up into 5th and give it a handful. All is well. I’m flying at least 60 skimming whoops feeling like a god.  

I feel the back end come out. One side, then the other side. Then back again but further. I let off the gas but it’s too late. My tail is swapping side to side further and further with each successive whoop. I know I’m going down. I try to hold on long enough to slow down a little. Bike makes one last swap to the right. Wheels land what feels like completely sideways. Wheels catch and slingshot me into the ground. Immediate Massive Charlie horse on my right thigh and now I’m rag dolling.

Come to a stop on my stomach, leg hurts. Try to move but my right leg feels like it’s only connected with jello. Now the pain starts. I scream out twice hoping someone is around.  Third attempt results in a whimper. Im on the street legal only side of of the highway. I’m alone. 

I pull myself together, I calm myself. I try to roll over but the jello thigh hurts more. I reach down, grab my boot and drag my leg as I roll onto my side. I’m in the middle of the road. I see my bike off to the side 10 yards behind me. 

I pull my back pack around and grab my phone. First call to 911 is dropped. Now I’m scared.

call 2 connects. They have my gps coordinates. Thank god. 

Agonizing 30 minutes lates I hear something behind me. I’m still on my side in the middle of the road, I twist my neck around and see a fire truck lights flashing. Thank god.

I’m elated to see them, I’m grateful. A ranger truck follows and maybe a few more vehicles too. 

It feels like 10 uniforms are around me. One nostril is flooded with ketamine and then the next is filled by another syringe. I don’t feel any relief. 

Pants are cut off. They pull me onto a backboard. Ouch. They grab my foot and pull, OUCH! WTF!? and once more! A brace is installed. Ambulance. Ketamine. Helicopter. Hospital. More drugs. 

xrays show a femur in 3 pieces.  Metal put inside the bone. Wake up from surgery sat night and instantly feel a massive relief, my bone is back together! 

Every day I’m feeling better. physical therapy is painful but gives huge improvement in pain and movement that keeps me motivated. 

3.5 weeks in and doc says I’m healing great, everything looks good. 

Begin Weight bearing at 6 weeks. 

Back on the bike at 3 months? I’ll let you know! 

Pics uploaded tomorrow 

• Sad 1

Broken femurs are no fun.  I know from experience, back in 1975.  At least today's repair procedures are way better than when I broke mine.  It took 8 weeks in traction and 4 months in a cast, and a few more months of healing before I was ready to ride a bike again.  Here's hoping you have a speedy and complete recovery.

Crap!  I am glad you are ok and are healing well. Good thing having your phone/ emergency device on you and not the bike. Dont rush the PT and make a full recovery..

Oh my I cringed on your discription . Take is easy don,t rush it. ( easyer said than done . I know from experence LOL ) 

Hard to hear; heal well.  I suspect that I am much older than you, and I know that I have slowed down from those days!  You'll heal and ride again for many years.

• Like 1

That was tough to read, but a reminder to my old bones I don't need to go race speeds. Hope you have a speedy and complete recovery! 

Sorry to hear buddy, Christoph told me like two weeks ago I tried to text but dunno if I have your new number saved. Heal up and keep in touch when ur ready

Ouch!  Hope you heal quickly and get back on the bike in top form.

Spot or InReach -  What would you have done if that phone did not connect?  My riding buddies are my insurance policy.

Best of Luck in recovery

Boy I remember those days when the S shined brightly on my chest, especially when I was riding the dunes. Nothing like that deep bone snapping noise to dim that S.

Now it takes lots of liquor to get the S to even light up.

Heal well young man, take the drugs and take it slow, heal right the first time.

Reach out if you need anything,

• Like 1

Man, sorry to hear of your fall. Hang in there buddy and best to your healing up soon! Always remember: if all else fails, gas it!

Awesome write up.  I always swap it up over whoops when I let off even a tad.

What hospital are you in? 

Any cute nurses? Pics.

Is your bike ok.?

Ouch...….Wishing you a safe/healthy recovery ASAP

Don't get hung up on timelines...…..trust your instincts/take keys from your body...….you'll know when it's time to roll the throttle back again.....

One of my saying is: Geh langsam und komm schnell zurueck. Meaning "Go slow and recover faster".

Did it kill you, NO, good Adventure.

I was just blasting that road yesterday...There are some gnarly whoops there. Glad you are on the road to recovery