kkug

Sicass in ABSP

FYI- We got a visit when we stoped to pee ( Fonts Point area ) by a State Park LEO ( in a nice State Park Prerunner ). He voiced his concerns with our plate holders on our bikes. I just put a Sicass one on and he said my plate was just barely visible. And said that my buddies modifyed stock Husky one was on the fence. That was about the end of the convesation on that subject and then  we played that we were new to ABSP and did not know where to go. 

I almost peeed in my pants after a 10 min travellog of the area. 

So make shure your plates are visable ! 

Wow that's crazy almost standard on all dual sports I ride with are those style plates

Yep, I use the Sicass version as well due to the fact that longer lower versions tend to get bent, and license plates tend to get crushed by the rear tire. I'm pretty sure in this case, that the ranger was bummed out by what he thought were some rabble rousers riding MX bikes in the park (for sure a ticket x2), were really just two nice folks riding perfectly legal 2 wheelers. 

My plate has exhaust burns on it...maybe I should get out the white and blue paint to create the most visible plate! 

I know of 2 people that got cited for this. It can potentially be a problem if the plate is at too much of an angle that it can not be clearly visible from the rear. They took their case to court and lost. I can elaborate more if there is interest. The good news is that it's a fix it ticket. The bad news is that it's subjective on the officers part and can be RS (reasonable suspicion) for a traffic stop. For the most part, most LEO's would consider this a chicken shiot stop and not cite for something like this.  

Tnx Oracle,

For the insight.  The issue of Reasonable Suspicion is a good enough reason to make an attempt to install the plate at a the best angle possible.  I imagine you may agree that the above description of the conversation may have a negative response from LEO. 

Bags

And what is the correct angel? I still can make adjustment on my build.

It's a fixit ticket not a felony. No reason to get your panties in a wad. Just some overzealous park ranger pissed off because you're riding a legal dirt bike in his park and he doesn't like it. . For whatever reason ABSP seems to attract these types.

• Sad 1

Camped in Ocotillo Wells this weekend, Truly great riding.... Rangers were handing out a lot of tickets for going faster than 15 mph on access roads near Blue Inn.  Saturday was a loop to superstition, but on our Sunday loop, we headed north west and eventually ended up where a lot of SDAR rides hit dirt near the Borrego dump and Inspriration wash.  As we were about to enter the wash from the south, a group of 20 riders on 2 strokes, quads, an off road truck, etc were buzzing all over the place like a swarm with no intent to stay on a roads, and there seemed to be tons of off road tracks and jumps that I hadn't ever noticed before.  I thought that was all Borrego Land ... as in street legal vehicle area, but the lines sure seem to be blurred in that area... maybe all the rangers were on fonts point and not inspiration..... however, as I continued my ride....  I purposefully looked for signs about what should ride where...  but it is hard to really tell. Is there a SDAR post or web site that includes a good map for that region?  Heck, we even saw guys shooting just east of peg leg road, and not far from that, the signs that head east from from there are marked, "foot traffic only" in the middle what looked like roads....  regardless, Thank goodness  riding season has arrived. 

33 minutes ago, MacDuncan said:

I purposefully looked for signs about what should ride where...  but it is hard to really tell. Is there a SDAR post or web site that includes a good map for that region?  Heck, we even saw guys shooting just east of peg leg road, and not far from that, the signs that head east from from there are marked, "foot traffic only" in the middle what looked like roads....  regardless, Thank goodness  riding season has arrived. 

The area you're talking about is NEAR ABSP land, but not actually in the park. I think it's BLM land but not sure who it belongs to exactly. People have been riding off-road there for years.

When you enter ABSP thru any of the washes and on the established trails, there are signs stating "Entering ABSP".

1 hour ago, KTMrad said:

When you enter ABSP thru any of the washes and on the established trails, there are signs stating "Entering ABSP".

I'd say this is often true.

But not always.

1 hour ago, paulmbowers said:

I'd say this is often true.

But not always.

I stand corrected....yes, you're right.

22 minutes ago, KTMrad said:

I stand corrected....yes, you're right.

Not breaking your balls- just don't want other readers to think it's marked that well.

1 hour ago, paulmbowers said:

Not breaking your balls

I didn't take it that way 😎

8 hours ago, Oracle said:

I know of 2 people that got cited for this. It can potentially be a problem if the plate is at too much of an angle that it can not be clearly visible from the rear. They took their case to court and lost. I can elaborate more if there is interest. The good news is that it's a fix it ticket. The bad news is that it's subjective on the officers part and can be RS (reasonable suspicion) for a traffic stop. For the most part, most LEO's would consider this a chicken shiot stop and not cite for something like this.  

Do park rangers believe in chicken shiot stops? They seem to be on a whole other level

No, not in my experience.  Have you talked to a Ranger?

They are managing a State Park adjacent to a Free Fire Range. How would you manage the situation?

:dirol:

My experiences with the Rangers have always been positive. I tend to ride up to them and say hello. Never been hassled. 
Same with BLM in the Superstition area. 
They are at our District 38 races. I’ve seen them stop and chew some butt for riding in the pit area without a helmet but never write a ticket. 
Same with the Rangers at Pine Valley - Corral Canyon area. They’ve poked my muffler for spark arrester a few times and I have my adventure pass. Btw. The ticket for no Adventure Pass is significant now. No more $7. 

Ive been there to witness the Rangers rescue people who have crashed bad and call in the helicopter at Ocotillo Wells, Glamis, and Superstition. Glad they were there. 

Only bad experience was BLM at Mc Cain. 
Rookie had his hand on his weapon over an expired registration tag. (Not with our group) Dude had an attitude but a senior officer pulled up and got him to chill. 

1 hour ago, Bagstr said:

No, not in my experience.  Have you talked to a Ranger?

They are managing a State Park adjacent to a Free Fire Range. How would you manage the situation?

:dirol:

Some are cool some are not. I’ve had mostly positive experiences but ABSP has a reputatIon of always having one or two rogue rangers with an attitude. I had one bad experience not on the bike but in my 4wd with a ranger who was clearly out of line. Sorry Bags but I have to disagree. Citing for non-dot tires, license plate holders is nothing short of harassment.  It has nothing to do with the ohv park. The bottom line is that with the advent of street legal dirt bikes there has been a big increase in their presence in park. 

My assumption was that the officer was just pointing out the potential issue with the plates. Didn't sound like he/she was trying to make a big deal out of it. If an officer is pissed off and  "overzelous", then you are probably riding away with a ticket. Doesn't sound like that happened here. Maybe Kug can elaborate a bit on the encounter?

My experience in dealing with the Rangers has always been very positive out there. I definitely don't see a problem.

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

My assumption was that the officer was just pointing out the potential issue with the plates. Didn't sound like he/she was trying to make a big deal out of it. If an officer is pissed off and  "overzelous", then you are probably riding away with a ticket. Doesn't sound like that happened here. Maybe Kug can elaborate a bit on the encounter?

My experience in dealing with the Rangers has always been very positive out there. I definitely don't see a problem.

Yes he was very strong at first about the plates .But cooled quickly.  But then the subject changed to making the old truckhaven rd one way so people don,t pass each other and get stuck in the sand and cause envermental damage. 

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up so when they get stoped that they won,t be shocked . He did not check our tires or our directional lites . That was a plus !