SacRider

Ocotillo Wells - Nov 3

Hi all,

It's starting to cool down a little in the desert so I'm going to be doing a little exploratory ride to get to know Ocotillo Wells and the surrounding area a little better, since I'm relatively new to the area.

Plan is to check out part of Ocotillo Wells starting from the Holmes camp area starting at 9:30 am, head west on the San Felipe wash towards Borrego Springs and refuel as needed. Then head back and check out the northern part of Ocotillo.

It should be an easy ride, 90% off-road, some may even say boring. There will be sand obviously but shouldn't be too bad.  If you are an expert rider you will be bored. I'm aiming for 2 and half hours. It may be longer or shorter, it's very informal.

If you want to join me the only requirement is that you bring a plated bike since I will be hitting the town. Any bike size is fine as long as you are ok hitting some sand on it :). I will be coming from the Carmel Valley area.

Also, if anybody has recommendations on what trails to hit, let me know!

-Jon

SR,

Turn north at the San Gorgonio Monument toward the land fill. After Borrego Sp return east up Inspiration Wash to Truckhaven, then south on Thimble to Short W. east. Turn south back to Blow Sand.

Let people know a few days earlier and you might draw a crowd.

Good Luck Bagstr.

New front tire on the orange bike (Shinko 216) mounted (but stripped the axle nut with my torque wrench 😡) and looking forward to getting out (new nut on order).  So jealous; have a great time!

9 hours ago, simicrintz said:

New front tire on the orange bike (Shinko 216) mounted (but stripped the axle nut with my torque wrench 😡) and looking forward to getting out (new nut on order).  So jealous; have a great time!

35 Nm.  A little aluminum anti-seize helps on those parts

Thank you, Sir!  I have not heard of aluminum anti-sieze and will now be looking into getting some.  Such a stupid mistake, and I ordered 2 nuts in case I bonehead this again.

Thank you again for the tip; much appreciated 🍺🍺

22 hours ago, SacRider said:

Hi all,

It's starting to cool down a little in the desert so I'm going to be doing a little exploratory ride to get to know Ocotillo Wells and the surrounding area a little better, since I'm relatively new to the area.

Plan is to check out part of Ocotillo Wells starting from the Holmes camp area starting at 9:30 am, head west on the San Felipe wash towards Borrego Springs and refuel as needed. Then head back and check out the northern part of Ocotillo.

It should be an easy ride, 90% off-road, some may even say boring. There will be sand obviously but shouldn't be too bad.  If you are an expert rider you will be bored. I'm aiming for 2 and half hours. It may be longer or shorter, it's very informal.

If you want to join me the only requirement is that you bring a plated bike since I will be hitting the town. Any bike size is fine as long as you are ok hitting some sand on it :). I will be coming from the Carmel Valley area.

Also, if anybody has recommendations on what trails to hit, let me know!

-Jon

I’ll be riding out from San Diego tomorrow.
If I’m in the Holmes camp Area around 9ish I’ll stop by and say hi. 
you’ll love Ocotillo Wells if you like desert. Simply the best place on earth. 

Thanks for the route suggestions Bagstr. I realize it was pretty short notice, it was a spur of the moment thing.  I'll give a much bigger heads up next time!

Slaugo, I'll be getting around there around 9ish as well. Do say hi if you are around. I'll be wearing orange pants.