Sign in to follow this  
Crawdaddy

Quick Spin.....reclaiming my groove

Took the 950SE out for a spin yesterday...….started out with a road loop to Dudleys/78/Pine Valley Lodge/Engineer Rd/79/80/Pine Creek Rd/Sunrise Hwy/79/Wynola/79/Mesa Grande/Hideout...…..lunch (BBQ Tri Tip) and a beer...….then rolled back on dirt to mi casa...….Mesa Grande/Black Mountain/Santa Ysabel TT......

As usual, the final dirt stretch was the highlight of the day...…working on getting my mojo back after the collar bone/rib injuries in August......probably still a bit overly cautious on dirt but I'm pretty paranoid about falling again...…..I need to at least fall on the "right" side next time ;):heh:...….that said, I ordered a new rear for the 500 (Pirelli MT16)…….looking forward to roosting out in Rockatillo Wells/Anza Borrego/Truckhaven :good:

Man, that 950SE slurps the fuel...…averaging ~30-35mpg......that'll make adventure traveling on that rig a bit more interesting in terms of logistics planning and cash.....

A few pics

IMG_4039.JPG

IMG_4040.JPG

IMG_4043.JPG

IMG_4047.JPG

IMG_E4048.JPG

• Like 2

Purty, them purty ones ain't never cheap to maintain. More under the hood = more fuel. When I lost my mind temporarily and tried Harley it got horrible gas mileage, and no it had nothing to do with how I rode it.

Honest.

1 minute ago, Uncle Champ said:

horrible gas mileage, and no it had nothing to do with how I rode it.

Honest.

Likewise, I generally ride like the old man I am...….nothing to prove........BUT, I got passed like I was standing still on Mesa Grande yesterday so I wicked it up for a bit in pursuit...….then I took inventory of my senses, decided 90+ was reckless/stupid,  and rolled the throttle forward to a more sensible pace......

1 hour ago, Uncle Champ said:

Purty, them purty ones ain't never cheap to maintain. More under the hood = more fuel. When I lost my mind temporarily and tried Harley it got horrible gas mileage, and no it had nothing to do with how I rode it.

Honest.

Don't Harley's have that do-hicky, thing-a-ma-jig, that make the throttle rev while at stopped at stopped light, while stopped at stop signs, while coasting to a stop, while splitting lanes, while rolling slow through a neighborhood, at 3 in the morning.... pretty much all the time? I bet if you disconnected that device mileage would improve dramatically without all the throttle blips.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bagstr said:

90 mph on knobs; What could go wrong?

Exactly :dirol:

I think the throttle rev doo hickey is to change the rattling vibration, can't see out of the mirrors at any speed, much less stopped. Can't even get your teeth close to each other at freeway speed because they will vibrate and chatter together (bad for fillings), shifting is a joy too , CLUNK, no question it's in gear. The bike was a piece of art but the engineering was WW2. I'm just not cool enough nor mature enough for a bike like that.

By the way gas mileage was around 25MPG with Fuel injection, etc etc.

• Haha 1

My 1090 is about the same. Approximately 30. 
Hard to keep the throttle from overtwisting its self. I think it’s a manufacturer’s defect. Not looking for a remedy to it.