I got so stuck in a sand bog on loop two that it actually took seven of the club guys to get my bike out!

2 hours ago, Ptkatoomer said:

I got so stuck in a sand bog on loop two that it actually took seven of the club guys to get my bike out!

Damn that was you, man they were talking about you alot over the radio.

My flow was never "on" and after getting stuck on L1 and mentally and physically drained I soldiered on through L2 and counted the miles until L2 ended. I pulled off my helmet after L2 and elected not to continue on into L3. My first DNF since 1997 and kind of the same situation, in 97 made it into lunch stop still on time and called it a day. I think with a little more time on my new S101 set up and a little less mud bogs....and I would have continued and at least finished. On my monitor (MyZone) I was running in the 140+ heart rate for about half or more of the 2 loops with a couple of red zone 150+ from the mud bogs with calorie count close to 5000  over 5 plus hours.

I always make assessments, and now believe with my scrip med requirement it had me dehydrated from the drop on the card and that deficit really decreased my usual game. Going into a real tough enduro like Tecate with any deficit is doom for failure.  My hands were seriously pruned even after L1 (sign of dehydration) or maybe just a sign of being water logged?

Second year riding, first time getting a finish. It was no easy task on any account. Due to work, school, and military requirements, I hadn't thrown a leg over a bike since the Big Bear Dual Sport back in June. And after that 14hr day of riding the bike was overdue for some deep maintenance but due to the same reasons as listed above I didn't get around to installing the top end kit that had been sitting in the garage for the past 6 months until the day before the race. The Friday before the race was spent installing a top end, cleaning the power valve, new pipe, new tires, chain and sprockets. By the time all that was done along with all the other obligations for the day I hit the sack near midnight. Wake up a few hours later and head to the border.

Get signed in around 6am and spend the next hour before my key time breaking in/warming up the bike as best I can. L1 taking it easy. Never more than half throttle. Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. No major hang-ups. Got stuck in a mud hole for a little bit. Learned my lesson there. After that I steered clear of the mud holes as best I can. L2 went by slow. Picked my lines very carefully. Stopped and watched a rider or two go through the hard stuff before taking a shot to minimize risk and energy waste. It worked to my advantage. Finished L2 about 5 minutes before L3 key time. Took a break to refuel bike and body. Started L3 5minutes after key time with the mentality to just finish. Exhaustion started hitting me hard. Made a lot of little mistakes. Took some low speed dirt naps. Pulled a Kenny and looped my bike into a tree. It was stuck upside down and all I could do was turn the gas off and wait for someone to ride up behind me to help me get it out of this tree. After a couple minutes I get some help and then I stick around and help a few more riders get through the same gnarly spot. Miles go by and I see a marker that reads "1 mile to go". Couldn't have been more happy until a couple miles later when I realize it was a lie. I came across a couple riders on the side of the trail, one with a busted sprocket and one with a busted chain, waiting for the sweep riders. At least I know I'm still ahead of the sweep riders but not a whole lot of daylight left. Towards the end there were 3 or 4 other riders I kept trading places with. We were all exhausted and just ready for the checkered flag. I pasted the mile 70 marker and knew it couldn't be much further. When I finally took the checkered I couldn't have been more happy. L3 was a tough one but I think everything came together for me. Bike ran great all day and despite the lack of riding in the past several months my body held together.

• Like 3

Glad you finished Devon. 
Only really cool guys get there bike stuck in a tree upside down. 
Was it as steep as where I did it?

I got this stuck upside down in a tree about 10 years ago and sold it soon after before it killed me. 2 CR500 motors connected to one transmission. Made about 150 hp. 65E08EA5-9410-474F-A95E-1BBBE205C465.thumb.jpeg.e48639b5933fd3653faef76d839ff374.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Devon!!!!! , great job, even the wiley pros mentioned the severity of the L3 test. Did you finish within your hour? I saw a few of my cronies finished but got the hour out. And that sucks because of all the work to finish the course is thrown out , meanwhile my end post time (HR OUT) seems the same and I was back at camp getting warm and eating!!

I doubt I finished within my hour on L3. Prelim results rev B had me as an Hr out but rev C they scored me. Second slowest time on L3 but I still got a finisher pin! That’s all I really wanted. There were a few spots on L3 where you really had no choice but to just huck the bike over the rocks or through some tight crevice. And just when you thought the worst was over it got more fun. 

• Like 1