Sign in to follow this  
Mikey777

Noob Ride Cleveland NF

The group came together at the Pine Valley Gas Station.  Eleven riders in all.  3 big bikes (two 990's and a 1090R) and a mish mash of little bikes.

Mostly SDAR regulars and a couple new guys.   Derek aka DWreck91 was the newest noob, shiny new rider with a shiny new DRZ400.  He did fine.  The route was Pine Creek Road to Sunrise Highway and then down Thing Valley Road, to La Posta, to the 8 Freeway.  Somebody went down on Thing in front of me but it wasn't anything gloryful that needed to be photographed.  A rider also lost his gas cap on Thing and our fearless leader, Darren aka 350Thumper , went back to help look for it.  The group waited about 20 minutes or so for the missing gas cap down near the 8. (I lost a gas cap on a SDAR baja ride a couple years ago, it happens.)

While waiting for the gas cap, LB said the word BBQ and my mind wandered from riding to food.  LB and I busted out of the ride and grabbed some lunch at Grand Ole BBQ.  We then hit the 8 over to Wild Cat Canyon to Ramona.  LB has been missing his PD riding days so I kept making siren noises (woo, wooo, wooo) all day to keep his spirits up.

No pictures from me.

Thanks everyone for the ride, it was great to meet so many other riders and I hope to get out for more rides. Only picture I got is my bike up on top of Tecate peak but haven’t figured out a way to upload from my phone yet. Special thanks to SANrider for helping me with the flat fix, and finding that perfect bike stand bucket 

Hey everyone. This ride was pretty neat. I had forgot the fun you can have on laposta. 

The +1 was my son,  thank you everyone for looking out for him. He did a flyingW off those humps and landed on the front tire for like five seconds and was able to recover it. He was all smiles after that .

IMG_20191013_115141434-600x450.jpg

The large air caused a carb malfunction and we weren't able to get the carb float to work again so we called in the Chase truck. 

LB can really whip the big bike around. He wasn't about to let me evade his pursuit.

I had a sneaky suspicion it was  LB or Kenny that had taken lead (hi Jack) . Im glad you did. I rode out to say goodbye to everyone but you already knew what was up.

I was in dual sport heaven, my son was loving it out there with me on bikes . We really really enjoyed being broke down.We talked  and agreed it ok too get mad at each other for a little bit as long as we don't carry it on because we love each other.. And we really needed to talk and bond. Thank God for dual sport.

That little boy is the most important person my life, even though he is a man now, and it's as if he's becoming my best friend.  

With a bunch of dual sport buddies , my son in my life and riding, I consider myself a rich man.   Thanks everyone for showing up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 350thumper said:

I was in dual sport heaven, my son was loving it out there with me on bikes . We really really enjoyed being broke down.We talked  and agreed it ok too get mad at each other for a little bit as long as we don't carry it on because we love each other.. And we really needed to talk and bond. Thank God for dual sport.

That little boy is the most important person my life, even though he is a man now, and it's as if he's becoming my best friend.  

With a bunch of dual sport buddies , my son in my life and riding, I consider myself a rich man.   Thanks everyone for showing up.

And that is really what it is all about!  I will admit that this made me tear up a little bit.  Bikes create such a great bond and are unlike most anything else that you can do with your son (or daughter).  I bought my son his first bike when he was 8 and he is now 27.  When we get to ride it is always just two guys out having fun; buddies.

Very cool story; thank you for being "man enough" to share it!

So I got to the bottom of La Posta first. I found a nice spot to chill in the shade a wait for the group. Eventually the majority of the group showed up. When Kenny arrived he said that someone had lost a gas cap. At that point, we assumed Darren and "someone" had turned around and gone back to find it. After waiting for about 30 minutes, along with the group, I realized i was running out of time and needed to get moving since I needed to be home by a certain time. My main side kick, Mikey777, and I decided to break out and slab west on the 8 so we would have time to grab some lunch. From there we hit some more paved twisties trying to make the most of the new Shinko 705's I installed on Fury the night before. They didn't disappoint. Before I met up with the group, I had already knocked out 80 miles of twisties. Ended up with 150 miles for the day. Had a great time. 

13 hours ago, 350thumper said:

IMG_20191013_115141434-600x450.jpg

Looks like a XT350

I think XT 350 is correct

I went with Kenny and 4 others to Campo and border fence , then it was 2 plus Kenny and myself  to Tecate then to Tecate  peak.

Basic 2 track + dirt roads . Perfect for what I needed.

z+86%XzETa6hnNykLObbnw.jpg

Kt4Q2GfvRBSQ0m0mQzUZuA.jpg

AlObamRATkyD8CAD68MZkA.jpg

I ended my day at Mariscos in Tecate with fish tacos and shrimp ceviche. 
Good riding with you guys. I gained a lot of confidence on my 1090. About ready for a BDR ride. 

6B6253AD-3036-4B72-8747-E5152E65901F.jpeg

36B9EB78-257A-4B2E-B668-2937FCDD22E8.jpeg

4DCF0925-8428-4EAC-B63C-ED1930E15AC8.jpeg