dirt dame

Second annual Apple Ride 10/05/19

Welp...my friend Karen (KJ) and I had so much fun on our first Apple Ride last October, that we decided to make it an annual event.  So KJ made a Facebook event out of it and invited some people to join in.  I did not expect many riders to respond, because it is somewhat of a "cross-over" event, meaning that it wasn't a full on trail or DS ride, but rather a DS ride with  a trip to an orchard to pick bags of apples stuck in the middle of it.  I don't think that that would be appealing to a lot of riders, trying to figure out how to carry a peck of apples out on the trail.  And it wasn't.  But five ladies showed up (well, one of them had a sore shoulder, so she ended up just doing part of the ride), and that was a great sized group for the day.  I'm not surprised that there were no guys on the ride...not a "guy" sort of a ride, generally speaking.  Too tame, and to apple-ish.  None the less, it was a fun day.

We all met up at Heart Bar at 9 a.m.....a couple of KTMs, a Honda, a Suzuki and my KTM....I mean Husqvarna, and empty backpacks for our precious cargo we would gather up at Stetson Creek Ranch a bit later.

Trail time took us across the side of the mountain to Clark's Grade, where we turned south and headed into Seven Oaks.  A brief stop at the little resort there, before heading to our trailhead off of Glass road.  The creek crossing on that trail had been washed out since last year, and a bit gnarlier than I remembered, but no problem for any of the group.  The forest road was in good shape all the way to the ranch, with spectacular scenery along the way.

Patty Messenger was out and about tending to the few customers who braved the forest roads with their vehicles to reach her place, and so it was nice and peaceful with 4 or 5 cars down by the trees.  We arrived and bought our bags, gathered up our apple sticks and headed off into the orchard.  The rest of the girls went directly to the upper area, which was largely flat, while I sauntered off, solo, and downhill to the lower orchard area which was thick with wild roses which were just bursting with bright red rose hips.  I tasted a rose hip.  They are sort of sweet and fruity and full of little yucky seeds.  My downhill trek paid off, because there were quite a few largely untouched trees down the hill, and I quickly filled my peck bag up with beautiful little blushed apples.  The walk back up the hill wasn't so much fun, but the payoff was in the bag, so to speak.  I guess most people were not motivated enough to go all the way to the bottom of the orchard to get their apples.

We sat under a shady apple tree to rest and eat lunch, before slinging our now apple filled backpacks on and heading up the trail.  Hitting highway 38, we made our way to the scenic and winding Jenks Lake road, popping out a bit closer to the staging area on the east side.  Up the highway, we went, dropped the apples off at the staging area, then headed out to Coon Cabin for a view of the desert, before heading over the trail that goes from Coon Cabin to Rainbow lane.  Highway back to the vehicles, and packed up.  By then it was around 4 p.m.  We only got about 50 miles total, but the day seemed to fly by....and I got to make a couple of new riding buddies too.  I'm sure we will do this ride every October from now on.  It is the beginning of a yearly tradition.

100_1478.jpg

48850562642_14ca2b1092_o.jpg

100_1479.jpg

100_1481.jpg

72264130_10220134641586405_5780224311885

48850365226_8663be9c53_o.jpg

100_1485.jpg71569398_10220134642066417_2776919811127

71671681_10220134641826411_1186367531632

71833804_10220134642826436_8680836037221

71703055_10220134639386350_2370037634824

48850011408_f4d51cdf65_o.jpg

71708086_10220134638786335_1999683833250

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, dirt dame said:

I don't think that that would be appealing to a lot of riders.

Good apple humor; looks like you all had a great time!!

• Like 1

I’m all about that apple pie life, I would have been interested!  😁

Looks like a good time was had by all.

• Like 1

Dang,   That Looks like a lot of fun.  If I show those pictures to my wife, I may have a hard time getting Day Pass.

You are lucky to have such friends

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tntmo said:

I’m all about that apple pie life, I would have been interested!  😁

Looks like a good time was had by all.

Haha...you crossed my mind, because of your handy gourmet baking skills.  But I knew you were on  the road. Next year!😎

• Like 1

I'll be sure to post up next year's date on this website for those of you want to join in.🤗

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dirt dame said:

Haha...you crossed my mind, because of your handy gourmet baking skills.  But I knew you were on  the road. Next year!😎

Hmmm Apple pie would be a nice finish to the brisket I smoked today...Just saying 🤔

423861EE-A9D5-4406-8BB1-B3FA2AB36FC6.jpeg

• Like 2

You couldn't have "picked" a better day for an apple ride

Great weather, nice pics - looks like fun was had by all :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

Awesome ride, great write up and nice pictures. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Is there any Truth to the rumor that the Food is better on the Lady rides??

:dirol:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Is there any Truth to the rumor that the Food is better on the Lady rides??

:dirol:

Well...if KJ has anything to do with it, it gets a little esoteric.  She brought a small wedge of balsamic Parmesan cheese, artichoke spinach dip, french bread and grapes for group munchies.

What a nice ride! Great photos. Thanks for posting. 🤗

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dirt dame said:

Well...if KJ has anything to do with it, it gets a little esoteric.  She brought a small wedge of balsamic Parmesan cheese, artichoke spinach dip, french bread and grapes for group munchies.

Wow, that beats 7-11 jerky and a melted snickers bar?  

• Like 1