What a perfect weekend for camping out and riding!  We had 16 riders/campers show up Friday night and Michael Louise made a big "dump stew" . . . . which is where everyone brings a can or two of some sort of veggy.  Like garbanzo or black beans or white beans, corn, etc.... whatever comes to mind.  Start with my 5 gallon brewing kettle and dump in the Mirepoix.  Then dump everyones ingredients in, and finally a bunch of rice.  Cook it over the fire pit and eventually throw a pile of tortillas wrapped in foil beside the coals.  Some of us speared italian or chicken sausages and roasted them as well.  The stew (more like just a rice and bean mix) went on the tortillas,  Sausages on the side, and your beverage of choice to wash it all down.

6 bundles of wood lasted the 2 nights, good people, fun banter, new friends made... all the usual stuff.

Saturday morning we all headed to Jays BBQ for a late breakfast, then on to Devils Tower.  From there, we split into 3 groups.  The more casual riders headed off in one direction, the sportier riders down to Ocotillo/Borrego/elsewhere to end up riding about 200 miles of fun pavement.  5 of us left the Tower for the border wall and picked our way west to Tecate.  We went in a few circles during the course, as the wall trail does not go all the way through.  Which was great, because we were mostly all on 1200's and enjoyed finding a little deep sand here, a water crossing there.

Border Patrol's weren't quite as warm and friendly as usual, but polite none the less.

I was advised not to go in the tunnel.  I pressed him for reasons why three times and his reply was that bad things can happen in there.  When I stated we wanted to enter the tunnel up to the white line between the two countries, he was a bit irritated and said he'd keep an eye on us then.  And he did.  Parked up on the hill and watched.  I took it as him caring about our safety.  But I couldn't get him to tell me what bad things have happened in there.  In the end, my crew decided not to poke the bear and just looked in from the outside.

All types of bikes (except skinny ones), all types of riders, and all types of campers from the minimalist hammock rider to the more robust tent models.  What's cool is that is all worked out.  From what I could tell, everyone got to ride the way they wanted to.  And that makes for a pretty good weekend.

Here's a short down and dirty video of the weekend.

........... until next time.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Nicely done Kelly...looks like fun was had by all! :good:

• Like 1

Looks like a good time.  Well done!

• Like 1