dirt dame

Not liking the lithium batteries so far

Then another stupid question: If you replaced your LI battery with a standard battery that died, and tried to bump start it, would it possibly start to rejuvenate enough to get the bike going again?  

I guess I really need to go learn more about battery properties.....

1 minute ago, simicrintz said:

Then another stupid question: If you replaced your LI battery with a standard battery that died, and tried to bump start it, would it possibly start to rejuvenate enough to get the bike going again?  

I guess I really need to go learn more about battery properties.....

Possibly. 

1 hour ago, PbdBlue said:

I'm not 100% certain but jump starting a lithium battery would make me pretty nervous. Lithium batteries are capable of discharging at some seriously high amperage rates. Not sure what would happen if you connect a charged one to a dead one without some form of regulation\current limit? In theory it could burst into flames. 

The Micro Start pack (pictured in the first post) is designed specifically to jump lithium batteries, as well as other types.  It was, after all designed by Antigravity, the very same people who produce the Antigravity lithium battery.  The also have bigger jump start modules, but the Sport is the smallest, not much larger than a cell phone, comes in a pouch with jumper cables.  Perfect size for slipping into a back pack....which is what I have done with mine.

14885922240_37f987a4b4.jpg

It was not until years later, on a ride deep in the desert, it occurred to my I should have soldered an SAE pigtail instead of the ring/spade fasteners. Could have been an easy plug-and-play.

I made a bunch of them- some SDAR folks have one.

15784444422_b48acde199_c.jpg

So just add the capacitor as you detailed Paul and that should be sufficient?  It holds enough charge (since that's what capacitors do!) to allow the kick start function to work by backfeeding into the battery to help power the electronics?

10 minutes ago, simicrintz said:

So just add the capacitor as you detailed Paul and that should be sufficient?  It holds enough charge (since that's what capacitors do!) to allow the kick start function to work by backfeeding into the battery to help power the electronics?

It might be able to remain installed, but I have mine in a little baggie strapped to the battery, not connected.

Yes, capacitors are tiny, short-term batteries. In electronics shop in high school, we'd charge the up on the capacitor tester and then toss them to our friends- hey, catch!

I wonder if there would be any harm in keeping it hooked up.  Seems like it could be useful if needed.

So you were THAT kid in shop 😳🤣

2 hours ago, dirt dame said:

The Micro Start pack (pictured in the first post) is designed specifically to jump lithium batteries, as well as other types.  It was, after all designed by Antigravity, the very same people who produce the Antigravity lithium battery.  The also have bigger jump start modules, but the Sport is the smallest, not much larger than a cell phone, comes in a pouch with jumper cables.  Perfect size for slipping into a back pack....which is what I have done with mine.

With a jumper pack it should not be a problem though if the battery is really dead it may start but the bike will quit as soon as you disconnect the jumper pack. The capacitor mod will prevent that. Capacitor + jumper pack is the failsafe solution for a bike without a kickstarter. My concern earlier was with regard to jumping batteries bike to bike.

14 hours ago, Bagstr said:

http://products.batterytender.com/Accessories/

I use what I believe are called SAE format cables with ring terminals connected to battery terminals. In-Line fuse included $8 sold at MotoWorld. 

WE-Supply (4925 Mercury St, San Diego or  1636 D Ave, National City) carries the connectors. About 2 - 3 bucks for the pair. You need to put your own ring lugs on them.

13 hours ago, simicrintz said:

I wonder if there would be any harm in keeping it hooked up.  Seems like it could be useful if needed.

So you were THAT kid in shop 😳🤣

I wouldn't recommend it. The system is designed to operate without it. Easy enough to make the connection when the need arises.

5 hours ago, PbdBlue said:

I wouldn't recommend it. The system is designed to operate without it. Easy enough to make the connection when the need arises.

I will accept that advice-thank you!!

On 9/29/2019 at 8:02 PM, Oracle said:

...I bump started a BMW R1200RT last weekend with the help of a friend.

I see your RT is a '15.

My 1150GSAdv was an '02, and once the battery was dead absolutely would not bump start.  And I had plenty of long empty paved and sloped parking lot to try it on for about an hour and 14,629 calories of expenditure.  I finally set my sweaty arse down and posted the question on ADV, to get laughed at with responses like "silly boy, you can't bump start an 1150 unless there's enough juice to run the electronics", which would agree with your earlier statements.

Rule #1 - don't run the battery all the way down with excessive use of the starter button.  Resist the temptation to try it just one more time.  But we can't.  So we try it one more time.

Rule #2 - always carry that little juice filled gadget we charge our phones and Senas with.  The one that also comes with mini jumper cables.  They work a treat, and can save you from wasting valuable calories that will be much needed later, as you slowly starve to death in the wilderness.

• Haha 1