Bagstr

RZR Hazard - NYT

Truth. These go up like  marshmallows that get too close to the flame.

This was big news about 3 years ago. The Times is a little late to the party.  As mentioned there have been numerous recalls. First they installed a thin aluminum heat shield behind the muffler  that was later replaced with a stainless steel shield when they discovered that the al one was inadequate. Also several other recalls (Ecu reflash, etc). I follow one of the major Polaris forums and the reports have fires have dwindled to be pretty rare so hopefully they’ve got a handle on it finally. Still I carry a fire extinguisher JIC.

On 9/7/2019 at 4:56 AM, PbdBlue said:

This was big news about 3 years ago. The Times is a little late to the party.  

Not exactly.

Reading the article, the first paragraph mentions an incident in 2006. The rest of the article is about Polaris' behavior AFTER the problems arose, including their safety engineer resigning because of their steadfast refusal to acknowledge ongoing fatal safety issues. Bottom line- they knew, they denied, and people died and/or were horribly disfigured. Pattern was (at least in the article) pretty clear.

Yes, I am certain the NYT is 13 years out of date. Ride On.

On 9/10/2019 at 2:52 PM, paulmbowers said:

Not exactly.

Reading the article, the first paragraph mentions an incident in 2006. The rest of the article is about Polaris' behavior AFTER the problems arose, including their safety engineer resigning because of their steadfast refusal to acknowledge ongoing fatal safety issues. Bottom line- they knew, they denied, and people died and/or were horribly disfigured. Pattern was (at least in the article) pretty clear.

Still that all is old news. The recalls , the company denials, etc. There may have been a report back in 2006 but there were very few issues until 2014 when the first XP1000's were released. The majority of reports came in the following two years. After the second round of recalls the occurrences seemed to drop dramatically to the point now it is rare to hear of a late model\recall'd vehicle catching fire though I'm not 100% convinced the issue is totally resolved.  I agree that Polaris's behavior on this has been reprehensible and they need to be held accountable. I appreciate the Times publishing this but where were they two or even three years ago?

21 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Yes, I am certain the NYT is 13 years out of date. Ride On.

No just 2 or 3 years....