Coop

Swapping plates?

Ok I already know i'm going get grief for asking this question, so here I go.

I have a 2013 WR250R and recently purchased a WR450F. What would the penalty, jail time, fines if I were to install a l lighting kit on the 450 and put my license plate from the 250 on it? Just to ride in off road areas not on the highways, Big Bear, Borrego, Kennedy. I know it wouldn't be insured and what not and no i'm not going to buy a KTM or a Honda.

if you have any input it would be appreciated,

In some areas, and probably all, if you get caught, expect to have your bike impounded, along with the fine you will receive. Fines can range from 600 dollars and up.

There is a section of California vehicle code that makes this a wobbler. A wobbler is a crime that could be prosecuted as a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the totality of the circumstances. So, even though it's a long shot, there is a chance you could be arrested. Other courses of action by the officer might be to cite and release, cite and tow your rig, or maybe just give you a verbal warning. 

CARB has been rather aggressive lately.  I would suggest you have Amgems research this topic except for the fact he now resides in Zona and does not give a hoot.

Scofflaw Beware    🚓

4463CVC Publishing, passing or attempting to pass as true and genuine a false, altered, forged or counterfeit vehicle registration card, license plate, registration sticker or smog certificate, with intent to defraud.

I would not, the impound fees will be high and as Oracle said you could end up in the clink. I enforced this code aggressively when I carried a cite book and red and blue lights. 

I think that is a NO BRAINIER, For all $$$ we spend I would not take the risk at all. What will the Insurances say if something happens? No we don't pay and you can loose a lot more than a Bike.

I've heard totally unsubstantiated blasphemous rumors that some members of SDAR have done this successfully for years. For me, I can't afford to have a bike impounded nor post bail if I happen upon a LEO that's having a bad day.

And it's just too easy- compare plate against the VIN and it's all over.

So I guess you gotta ask yourself- are you feeling lucky?

1 hour ago, paulmbowers said:

So I guess you gotta ask yourself- are you feeling lucky?

SDAR Jeapordy...

Answer- Who is Inspector Callahan

WR450 can be plated legally. Get a dual sport kit from Rocky Mountain ATV. 

Go to California Registration Service in El Cajon. 

She will make the process simple. 

It doesn’t cost that much and your bike will go up in value 

"I've heard totally unsubstantiated blasphemous rumors that some members of SDAR have done this successfully for years"

Not Fake News! 

A friends daughter just got caught for something very similar to your suggestion. Her fine is in the $1000. range and up. You would probably get towed too, how do you feel about walking in riding gear?

When the helmet comes off and it's Grey Hair; It is all swell.

I always plead ignorance.  " Gosh, I though you only needed one plate for all your bikes".

:dirol:

I only have one license plate, and I found that one.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Covered in Dust said:

I got sent 3 plates at one time officer I must have put them on the wrong bikes.

The chances of that happening are negative zero. 😉

Cop runs a quick VRT - Vehicles Registered To by your name, calls BS based on results, you go in cuffs for 148PC - Basically, lying to the cop.

As PMB mentioned, way too easy to check a story. Results vary on the cop. I was asked to write 2 tickets per month so my Sgt could say I did some traffic enforcement, but if one of those turned into a challenge, well......

55 minutes ago, TrophyHunter said:

The chances of that happening are negative zero. 😉

Cop runs a quick VRT - Vehicles Registered To by your name, calls BS based on results, you go in cuffs for 148PC - Basically, lying to the cop.

As PMB mentioned, way too easy to check a story. Results vary on the cop. I was asked to write 2 tickets per month so my Sgt could say I did some traffic enforcement, but if one of those turned into a challenge, well......

This is actually a true story, I registered 2 KTM 525’s and 1 Honda 110 at the same time and with the plates and paperwork from

Arizona it would have been easy to mix up the plates.

CiD

I received 3 plates for three different trailers in the mail on the same day as well.  Two of the plates did actually get mixed up and put on the wrong trailers and we did not find out until the new owners went to register the trailers.  One was in Northern California and one went to Arizona.  I did not put them on the trailers but ever since then I am anal about checking the plate and the VIN, even if I only have one trailer; not a fun experience!

As for the original question, I am going to be in the "don't do it" camp.........

33 minutes ago, Covered in Dust said:

This is actually a true story, I registered 2 KTM 525’s and 1 Honda 110 at the same time and with the plates and paperwork from

Sure- but a quick run of the VIN number will inform the LEO the bike (as originally posted) is neither registered nor street legal, which may result in impound, fines, etc. One could certainly argue (in court) there was no intent to deceive, but the results are nearly the same. 

And.

Were I the LEO, I'd ask for the insurance documentation that is supposed to accompany the VIN in question.

There is no mix up of plates. He DOES NOT HAVE A PLATE on the dirt only bike. He will be taking one from a legal bike and putting it on the dirt only.  I am not a big fan of this discussion on the site. Blatantly breaking the law and posting it here is not good for our image or the DS community.

Wow this thread is still going? Man y’all are quick to shut down a thread if someone starts a ride report in the wrong section but not a thread about breaking the law?

I kid. 

But seriously everyone knows the right answer to this question. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Covered in Dust said:

CiD

With your fleet, I don't doubt it. And that would pan out on a VRT. For most, not so much. B)

Thanks everyone for your input, I think I'll look into legalizing the bike. I can't afford jail time or an impound of the bike. The only reason I posted it was I couldn't find anything on the net as to penaltys or fines. Figured someone might of had experience with it.

Thanks again stay legal stay legit. 

• Like 1