Nice little ride with @DSM8 & my friend today. Nothing too crazy with little lunch session at Pine Valley before heading back home. Felt like a short ride but will do given the temperatures.

Red was the plan, green is the track log. We hit a closed gate which forced us to turn around. I wish it wasn't closed cause it started to get fun. @DSM8 took some pictures so I am pretty sure he'll post them.

08-13-2019

IMG_1437

IMG_1438

Are you talking about Thing Valley Rd being gated to Kitchen Creek Rd?  It's always closed about 3 miles East from S1.  Same for Morris Ranch Rd which I tried on Monday.  I'm not sure why it's off limits.  Fred Canyon is open though from Kitchen Creek to La Posta Rd.

The route for todays ride was just over 150miles in total for me

E43DD3BB-CEFD-459E-8C78-5DF5BB82F3A5.jpeg

2 hours ago, Jlburgess said:

Are you talking about Thing Valley Rd being gated to Kitchen Creek Rd?  It's always closed about 3 miles East from S1.  Same for Morris Ranch Rd which I tried on Monday.  I'm not sure why it's off limits.  Fred Canyon is open though from Kitchen Creek to La Posta Rd.

Yes. I’m pretty sure they’ll open it sometimes though as it was open as of June 24th according to the FS USDA website.

48532229356_40bf1eed3b_b.jpg

Interesting side note I am using up a dunlop 908 on the rear it was 90% new 300 miles ago Nd already worn thru more than half the tire. They wear fast after sitting over five years getting nice and hard.

hope to get two more rides out of it before swapping in new tread

Thing Valley to Kitchen Creek gate has been closed for years. I've never seen it open. That site is ridiculously unreliable FYI

5 hours ago, DSM8 said:

hope to get two more rides out of it before swapping in new tread

Are you gonna go for the same? Dunlop 908?

10 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Thing Valley to Kitchen Creek gate has been closed for years. I've never seen it open. That site is ridiculously unreliable FYI

Damn...well I may give them a call sometimes next week because the last time I spoke with them, the lady on the phone did say it was unreliable due to the lack of manpower to keep it up to date but she also said to give her a call and she'd be able to tell me what gate is or isn't open. I'll call them to see why that gate has been closed for years and why it says open on the website.

42 minutes ago, SaMaKi said:

Are you gonna go for the same? Dunlop 908?

Too expensive for a run around tire looking at the rallz or might run a bigblock depends whats avail at the time.

i have a half used tractionator but it too is old so would wear reslly fast

The answer they gave me is "the borderpatrol/homeland is in charge of that gate", kitchen creek too. Remember kitchen creek, oh its been closed 7 years now it's no longer a road. Used to be a great place to camp, ride, drive thru the mountains, play in the snow, etc.

I  rode  down kitchen Creek Road fairly recently from sunrise highway. I think it’s about 3 miles to the gate. There are still some good places to camp though 👍👍