Bagstr

Valve Check

IF, your Moto starts easy on first try; should You bother checking the Valve Gap??

Summer Minds want to know 

Possibly. Depends on hours and whether or not they've been checked before....

Baggs, my experience has been if it is hard starting then the valves are the first thing to check. Having said this it is my non-expert opinion that if she starts easy than probably the valve gap will be pretty darn close to spec. 

The valves just about have to zero out to have starting issues. A valve check will give you advance warning that things are starting to move. My experience on the newer bikes with shim buckets is that they hold their setting pretty well over the life of the valves. When they start moving significantly on you the end is near and a valve job is likely in your future. Personally I hate dealing with bike problems out on the trail.

Oracle,

310 hrs, checked a couple of times. I suspect not really a worry, but with only one bike it will be interesting to see if it has moved.

Annd, while I have the tank off, that pesky injector could stand to be back-flushed.

Bagstr

1 hour ago, Bagstr said:

Annd, while I have the tank off, that pesky injector could stand to be back-flushed.

Annd change the in-tank filter. Annd check the tiny screen int he quick release. Annd clean the air filter. Annd change oil and filter. Annd take the forks to George. Annd take the shock to George. Annd change the air in the tires. Annd adjust the steering head bearings.

Rotella, no need to ever  check anything.

Check the muffler bearings for wear and be sure to adjust the power band. 

Oh My....I completely forgot about the Power Band.  That moves to the Top of The List.

👀

42 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Oh My....I completely forgot about the Power Band.  That moves to the Top of The List.

👀

And when you wash your bike- the single most effective cleanser I've used comes from the airport. Go down and ask them for a bucket of Prop Wash. Awesome stuff, and cheap.

6 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

And when you wash your bike- the single most effective cleanser I've used comes from the airport. Go down and ask them for a bucket of Prop Wash. Awesome stuff, and cheap.

And while you're there, get 50 feet of flight line.

I think You Guys are teasing me.

❄️

3 hours ago, Bagstr said:

I think You Guys are teasing me.

❄️

Nuh-uhhhhh.

After adjusting the Power Band, I went ahead and did the Valve Check and Injector Clean. 

The valve gap was in range @ 310 hrs. I had made one small shim change at 70hrs.

Can't say I saw any dif after the injector process. The spray looked good as I ran contact cleaner through. Flushed the injector both directions.

i-WzdX4KN-L.jpg

i-3g8LSnv-L.jpg

i-GH8cvwH-L.jpg

i-cSfjV5f-L.jpg

i-5JHdjKZ-L.jpg