MacDuncan

Folks who have/know about rzr's (or side by side)

It was still an Adventure ride as I squeezed in a rzr rental between my solo dirt motorcycle rides in Colorado recently to let my gal enjoy the high mountains and back-country by my side, as I am sure she was curious to see for herself after hearing me regularly tell her about how beautiful it was up in the high country, and seeing my iphone pics after my moto rides.   

It was fantastic, she thought so too. The machine worked way better than I thought possible. We rode through the mountains and forests on 50 inch max tight ATV trails and on wide open gravel forest service roads in a Polaris 570.  It climbed some rocky sections way better than I thought in 4wd, crawled along at 3-10 mph on rough weaving 50 inch wide terrain after we squeezed through the entry gate with only a half inch on each side, and flew up to 45-ish mph on the service roads with the wind howling by, side by side. We could even pack a pic-a-nic  :)

My question as I shop....(I think this is the best time to buy in San Diego because desert is too hot and not peak season - maybe Vey's or Motoworld?)   is whether I am in tune to why folks like Crawdaddy, PbdBlue, and many others of you with rzrs too don't have "trail" rzrs (I think... meaning 50 inch wide max) because there are so many incredible rides/trails that have that restriction (many areas in Colorado, Piute Trail in Utah, but should still be plenty fun in Mammoth and Bradshaw Trail.  Maybe they are too tippy, or maybe that there are no restrictions in our area, maybe the low power gets old fast...etc...  But, the smaller size seems a heck of a lot cheaper, and I did not feel like it restricted my fun!  I could see that they may not be for the dunes, and don't have much ground clearance, but other than that, sure seemed like a great way to share the remote areas since bikes in rough terrain aren't for everyone!  

Any rzr thoughts that I am not considering?  Thanks, Mac

I have a RZR 800 that gets used by my wife and kids when we are not on our bikes. It's fun to have in the arsenal but is only our secondary toy.  The reason most people in this area have the larger/wider RZR is primarily because they get used in the open desert 90% (100% for some people) the time where you want wider faster car. Plus there are still plenty of trails, especially in Big Bear, where there is no 50" limit. That seems to be more of a thing in Colorado / Utah for sure. 

Bottom line...ask yourself where you are most likely to be using it? 

My wife quit riding two wheels because of back pain.  I got a project Yamaha Rhino, fixed it up a bit and she loves it.  It’s not nearly as fast or well suspended as the newer model stuff but it goes almost everywhere and is a lot smaller.  It works fine for us!

Thanks fellas, 

Oracle, Hope you avoided the fire last week....  and yep, as you described, the 50 inch max is far more of a Utah/Colorado experience. Although those tight narrow 2 tracks through the trees are also super cool on bikes (as well as mini atv's/Utv's)

Champ, I couldn't rally for the big loop through the North that you described this Summer, so I more easily just headed to the San Juan's, hope Idaho was fun.  The Talon is a wider one, but looks good.

Tntmo, as you simply stated, if it works fine, it is still nice to support those who can't get to those beautiful locations like we can on bikes, ... and many 2 up bikes, if not properly set up, are hard to get there with a passenger.

Bags, I have secret footage of you and PB riding "side by side", albeit on motos, singing to each other, through the Aspen Groves on the Aspen Loop trail.  If it wasn't for the atv trails being made by 4 tires, or "side by side" 2 track, so you could look over at each other, you wouldn't have had that beautiful moment  :)  

If anyone has, or had, a 50 inch or smaller trail rzr, please share (or PM) if you can help guide my decision (or if you have a neighbor or friend who has a perfect used one to sell for a great deal). I can easily see a rzr being ridden by a (non-motorcycle able) friend alongside some long dirt motorcycle rides carrying supplies like tents, sleeping bags, coolers, tools etc...  and I have experienced it before with 8 motos and 2 rzrs when going to McIvers Cabin near Jawbone and Dove Canyon.  It worked well for the group. And I think it could work well for even 2 people (one biker, one rzr with SENA or Ham radio), especially when all your normal riding buds can't swing an outing on the spur of a moment. 

Ok, I'll keep researching and learning.....  thanks, back to 2 wheel moto-land.

Crawdaddy had a smaller UTV then went to a RZR two seater then to a four seat RZR. Maybe he will chime in soon.

I have a Polaris Ranger that I’ve taken to the desert and it was fun but now I have the turbo RZR so the Ranger just

gets used as a utility vehicle around the house. I’m sure there are 50” trails but the only time I’ve ever seen any were 

in Mammoth and one in Idaho. So I wouldn’t make that a deciding factor.

CiD

27 minutes ago, Covered in Dust said:

I’m sure there are 50” trails but the only time I’ve ever seen any were 

During the short intervals where Bags and I were not eye-gazing, I counted at least 4 trails with 50" limitations, and one with a 51" limitation, for which I have no explanation.

14 hours ago, MacDuncan said:

Thanks fellas, 

Oracle, Hope you avoided the fire last week....  and yep, as you described, the 50 inch max is far more of a Utah/Colorado experience. Although those tight narrow 2 tracks through the trees are also super cool on bikes (as well as mini atv's/Utv's)

Champ, I couldn't rally for the big loop through the North that you described this Summer, so I more easily just headed to the San Juan's, hope Idaho was fun.  The Talon is a wider one, but looks good.

Tntmo, as you simply stated, if it works fine, it is still nice to support those who can't get to those beautiful locations like we can on bikes, ... and many 2 up bikes, if not properly set up, are hard to get there with a passenger.

Bags, I have secret footage of you and PB riding "side by side", albeit on motos, singing to each other, through the Aspen Groves on the Aspen Loop trail.  If it wasn't for the atv trails being made by 4 tires, or "side by side" 2 track, so you could look over at each other, you wouldn't have had that beautiful moment  :)  

If anyone has, or had, a 50 inch or smaller trail rzr, please share (or PM) if you can help guide my decision (or if you have a neighbor or friend who has a perfect used one to sell for a great deal). I can easily see a rzr being ridden by a (non-motorcycle able) friend alongside some long dirt motorcycle rides carrying supplies like tents, sleeping bags, coolers, tools etc...  and I have experienced it before with 8 motos and 2 rzrs when going to McIvers Cabin near Jawbone and Dove Canyon.  It worked well for the group. And I think it could work well for even 2 people (one biker, one rzr with SENA or Ham radio), especially when all your normal riding buds can't swing an outing on the spur of a moment. 

Ok, I'll keep researching and learning.....  thanks, back to 2 wheel moto-land.

In actuality the majority of trails in Utah are 64”. Even the Paiute trail system is mostly wider trails with a few 50” Spurs here and there. I’ve taken the XP1000 (68” as presently configured ) to Utah and had a great time with minimal restrictions. That said as mentioned it’s all about what you’re going to do with it. If I were buying a SXS strictly for trail riding in Utah, Idaho, etc I would probably lean towards a narrower trail oriented machine. If you have any intention of riding in the desert those machines will beat the hell out of you. For the desert a long travel wider machine is a must have. Compromises......

I drove one once. Don't know how wide it was. It was a Yamaha and had 5 speed transmission. No CV type drive. That was fun. 

Buy one that doesn't turn the trails into washboard. If they have that. 

When I bought my 08 RZR used it was simply a cheap entry into the market.........no thoughts of performance.........and it was actually way more fun than anticipated and I liked the fact that I could drive it into my truck bed for transport.......even took it on two trips to Bar 10/Toroweap and back........but the suspension kinda.......well........sucked.    9" travel all around.     So I traded up to another used RZR........first year of the 1,000 series (2014).......I didn't trade up for power .........we don't need power tooling around AZ.......I traded up for suspension/wider (safer) footprint.......16" front and 18" rear.........made traveling around MUCH more comfortable........sold the two seater and bought another used 4 seat 2014 RZR.......then dropped in a 5th child's seat in the middle of the rear two seats for grandbabies......

I know there are 50" trails that we won't be able to travel on now that we traded out of the 50" 2008 model.........that's ok, small minority of trails.......many others await.....

The used market is pretty soft........and, just as with dual sport bikes, there are upgrades to be made upon purchase.......I would NOT buy new......buy one that someone has already set up with ~100hrs or less.........my  $.02

I should also note that the longer wheel base of the 4 seater offers a smoother ride than the two seater IMHO........spend the extra $$ and go with a 4 seater.....USED

AND.....if you're looking for a Dunes machine you really should go with a turbo........otherwise the turbo isn't merited (IMHO)

5 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

When I bought my 08 RZR used it was simply a cheap entry into the market.........no thoughts of performance.........and it was actually way more fun than anticipated and I liked the fact that I could drive it into my truck bed for transport.......even took it on two trips to Bar 10/Toroweap and back........but the suspension kinda.......well........sucked.    9" travel all around.     So I traded up to another used RZR........first year of the 1,000 series (2014).......I didn't trade up for power .........we don't need power tooling around AZ.......I traded up for suspension/wider (safer) footprint.......16" front and 18" rear.........made traveling around MUCH more comfortable........sold the two seater and bought another used 4 seat 2014 RZR.......then dropped in a 5th child's seat in the middle of the rear two seats for grandbabies......

I know there are 50" trails that we won't be able to travel on now that we traded out of the 50" 2008 model.........that's ok, small minority of trails.......many others await.....

The used market is pretty soft........and, just as with dual sport bikes, there are upgrades to be made upon purchase.......I would NOT buy new......buy one that someone has already set up with ~100hrs or less.........my  $.02

I should also note that the longer wheel base of the 4 seater offers a smoother ride than the two seater IMHO........spend the extra $$ and go with a 4 seater.....USED

AND.....if you're looking for a Dunes machine you really should go with a turbo........otherwise the turbo isn't merited (IMHO)

You forgot to add in the part about throwing a plate on it and driving down all but the freeway.................................  at least thats how we do up here in ride-a-ho as in arizona !

17 hours ago, hobiee said:

You forgot to add in the part about throwing a plate on it and driving down all but the freeway.................................  at least thats how we do up here in ride-a-ho as in arizona !

I actually took mine on the 40FWY (very briefly).........we took the AZ. peace trail from Bullhead City to Topock 66........then hopped on the shoulder of the 40FWY to get over the river to Pirates Cove.............then up along the river on the CA. side to Needles.........cross back over the river on HWY95.........and cruised along the river again on the AZ. side back to Bullhead City........

It's easy peasy to snag a street plate for a RZR in AZ......and it is nice to be able roll out of the driveway, gas up at Circle K, and be on the trails in a few minutes......

7 minutes ago, Crawdaddy said:

It's easy peasy to snag a street plate for a RZR in AZ......and it is nice to be able roll out of the driveway, gas up at Circle K, and be on the trails in a few minutes......

Currently looking at property in Utah with that same option; so cool!!

All good info.... Thanks to all for taking the time to share.  I now have a better vision of things to consider knowing that my bike is still my primary focus, but a sporty toy to allow access to the wilderness for others who cannot ride a 2 wheeler in the rough terrain, and for me to more casually cruise on occasion with a a person beside me instead of behind me, or even guide others as they follow my bike lead, seems like it would be rewarding for me and them.

I have a limited budget, but while in Colorado I found that the shops were already lowering prices as snowmobiles are arriving, and new rzr 570's, and for a little more, the 900's, in the 50 inch wide models, are selling for a little over $11,000, and since that number at 30 bucks a month :) seemed easier to consider than the $20,000-30,000 models at local shops, it sparked my interest. That, and the smile on my partners face being able to see those areas in person instead of a pic.

A simple, well kept, respected, older rig would likely be great. Cheers!