simicrintz

Tire question-Not what you think!!

I once upon a time knew what Shinko tire I wanted up front on my bike (500EXC) to match the cheater (505) on the back but I cannot for the life of me remember the number.  Size (stock) is 90/90-21

Thanks guys!

I think the Shinko 216 MX 90/100 is what your after. It’s a clone of the Golden Tyre 216 fat tire. 

I get them for approx $55 shipped. 

I've tried both, and returned to the Golden. They're not a clone- they look like it, but there's 2 lbs weight difference. Personally, I rode better on the Golden than the Shinko.

Now- let's put that into context- my "riding better" is pretty relative, and my best day is not very good. Further, there are eleventy-million other factors that should be in the equation, but aren't. So my observations are biased and not based on anything except 'feelings".

With all apologies to Morris Albert, feelings are not all they're cracked up to be.

But I returned to the Golden and am happy with them. So happy, I was compelled to leave a significant portion of two brand new Goldens on Lost Valley Road trying in vain to chase LB on the camping overnighter.

Agreed I have shinko on my 450 and golden on 300  and can feel the difference plus shinko is old rubber compound and tearing knobs early

Goldentyre is still the smaller cottage company that constantly changes and updates their product line with new compounds and some pattern changes and additions too.

Shinko is a larger mass production company, so that corporate machine takes more time to enact changes and updates, more volume sales driven.

Also in IMHO- yes the GT216 series of FIM pattern (my only experience is with FIM homologated tires)  "tyres" are of higher individual quality and performance and we do pay the price for that. PS I still have a Shinko soft gummy compound 216SX rear (FIM pattern) on my TX300. The front is a late model GT216AA Fatty. Both ride on Michelin mousses (which need some work, they are beat down).

Side note 1- as I have stated I like higher pressure feel with the fatty front, otherwise its too slow wallowy reacting to input and external forces. A fresh mousse or stuffed older ones, for a feel from @ 12-15psi (that's a squeeze wag test). The rear can be almost trials like and the FIM 216 type have flexxy sidewalls/balloon type shapes, with big contact patch and side grip width.

Note 2- Just need to adjust bike setup for a lower rear ride height. hard front high sidewall fatty, soft rear squished balloon side wall = chopper condition, not good for single track, ok for faster stuff.

BTW what oil is everyone using?...……………..

1 hour ago, robertaccio said:

BTW what oil is everyone using?...……………..

Whatever you're not using. Because my selection is far superior and supported by vast amounts of technical data.

I am, therefore, superior and more powerful.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

I've tried both, and returned to the Golden. They're not a clone- they look like it, but there's 2 lbs weight difference. Personally, I rode better on the Golden than the Shinko.

Now- let's put that into context- my "riding better" is pretty relative, and my best day is not very good. Further, there are eleventy-million other factors that should be in the equation, but aren't. So my observations are biased and not based on anything except 'feelings".

With all apologies to Morris Albert, feelings are not all they're cracked up to be.

But I returned to the Golden and am happy with them. So happy, I was compelled to leave a significant portion of two brand new Goldens on Lost Valley Road trying in vain to chase LB on the camping overnighter.

LOL...It was worth though, right?

And for WIW, Bruce, based on a ROI, the Shinko is a great choice. I'm on my first one and really like it.

Based on This Discussion; I "commit to lose 5Lbs " in order to make all this Discussion irrelevant.

👀

Weigh in December 1 ..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bagstr said:

Based on This Discussion; I "commit to lose 5Lbs " in order to make all this Discussion irrelevant.

👀

Weigh in December 1 ..

Killjoy.

Thanks guys (really did not mean to start another tire thread!)!  I have been very happy with the Shinko 505 I put on the rear (only 2 rides on it-one in Corral Canyon in the mud and the other from Ocotillo to sand dam and back); vast improvement over the stock Continental that came with the bike.  Hate the stock tire up front and do not feel comfortable with it (especially in the sand) and just want the same experience up front as I am getting from the rear.  

Are you running Shinko's front and rear, LB?  

Thanks again you guys for jump starting my old brain!