Van

Accident in Valley Center and editorial

There was a moto fatality in VC on July 19th.  The accident was caught on video.  https://www.valleycenter.com/articles/video-shows-motorcycle-fatality-happening/

The paper also posted an editorial re: the accident as it got a lot of feedback from posting the video.  https://www.valleycenter.com/articles/the-traffic-hazard-we-must-not-talk-about/

Takeaway is "all we can do is rely on the majority of sane bikers to do something, anything, to rein in their more reckless comrades."

Ride safe!

• Sad 1

Yes, that accident could have been avoided, if the rider had been doing the speed limit, or even anything near it,  no matter if the driver  of the car came to a complete stop or not before pulling out.  Everyone who has a sport bike likes to test their machinery and capabilities....sometimes their judgement gets clouded in the heat of the fun and excitement, especially if they are young and new to "cafe" style riding with a shiny new machine that will no doubt exceed their talents and skills.

Just last weekend, I was  in a small group of sport bike riders, coming down Palomar mountain on the tight side....and a trio of riders were coming up from the other direction.  As I prepared to enter the turn, I spied the leader of that other group at the apex, laid over so far that he had no more lean angle to use...and his tires were already on the center line paint.  My eyes stayed locked onto him as he drifted into my lane and straight towards me.  A sudden swerve to the right and hard on the brakes saved me from being taken out by him....but it could have gone very wrong.  If it had been an automobile instead of me and my bike, I'm not so sure that a car could have missed him....and that would have been much much worse for that rider.  N o need to test racing skills to the limit on a public road.  There are nice safe race tracks for that.

• Like 2

Vehicle did come to a complete stop. 100% the rider is at fault because his speed.

Front brake? Check! I only feel for the driver of the car.

10 hours ago, SoCalMule said:

I only feel for the driver of the car.

And the family of the deceased.

That motorcyclist is traveling so fast for that particular road that during the driver's initial look left or even last look he may not have been visible.  The speed reduces the perception and reaction time for the motorcyclist and leaves him essentially no options... Even hard front braking at that point will not slow you down enough to avoid the impact.

FYI, San Diego County ME case number 2019-01734, found under ME press releases.

On 7/29/2019 at 7:26 AM, paulmbowers said:

And the family of the deceased.

Plus One...

As I mentioned before, the driver of the car:

A 39-year-old man driving the Nissan and his two passengers, a 42-year-old woman and a 3-year-old girl, were taken to a hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries, according to the CHP.