SaMaKi

Big And Small Bikes Open Ride Tuesday 07/30/19 🏍

So it seems that Tuesday the 30th will be covered and 87°F at the highest : 

48377945436_45a9826d22_b.jpg

Who's up for a ride? I'll be riding my 1290 so chill and relax ride, nothing too crazy. Preferably mainly off road but obviously we'll have to hit some pavement at some point. Unlike my last short notice, here we are with a few days to set that up. So here it is, who's in? Big bike, small bike, any trail, north, south, east (may be a bit too hot though) any route, any time (the longer the better 😉).

Let's see what we got!

I might be up for a ride, do you have a route in mind? 

Not right this moment but I can cook something up. That’s why I posted this a “little” early so we can chime in together and come up with something using everybody’s experience of heat risks, trails, routes, scenery....etc.

Might be able to join again on 525 just depends on your start/stop points and how much if any freeway there is

Alright so here’s a first draft of what we can do. But again, let me know your thoughts on temperatures or on how hot it may get. As of right now, it shows that Tuesday will be 77 at the highest. 

Here is the map, mainly off road, red circled is freeway and the blue circled part I have never done so depends on how it goes, we can explore that together or head back the same way we came in. 

Thomas Mountain Loop

I did this a couple times on my BMW. Ramona, Black canyon, Mesa Grande, Lake Henshaw,  Warnerspring right into the Lost Valley to Anza, than down to the Fire station on 74. 

Good ride.

20151014_081719_resized.jpg

Rode this route between Ramona and Anza late Friday. The portion between Warner Springs and Anza, N of Chihuahua, was really rough from the thunderstorms in that area last week... mud flows, wash outs, off camber side lines funneling into deep ruts on hills, full width mud puddles. Fun on a small or midsize bike. Would be a nice challenging ride on a big bike. Was being bladed/dragged south from Anza and Chihuahua at the time. Each had done about a mile.

2 hours ago, bsham said:

Rode this route between Ramona and Anza late Friday. The portion between Warner Springs and Anza, N of Chihuahua, was really rough from the thunderstorms in that area last week... mud flows, wash outs, off camber side lines funneling into deep ruts on hills, full width mud puddles. Fun on a small or midsize bike. Would be a nice challenging ride on a big bike. Was being bladed/dragged south from Anza and Chihuahua at the time. Each had done about a mile.

That’s good info, thank you. Hopefully it’ll get better by Tuesday. Even the ones that can’t commit to a full day ride ( @DSM8) can just do a portion and head back if they want. I’m craving dirt and since it’ll be my only day off next week it seems like I’ll be doing that route probably. A friend might join on his 990.

So take off will be Tuesday 07/30 at the duck farm in Ramona (1415 Pamo Rd, Ramona, CA 92065) at 8am. I plan on riding all day except if it gets too hot then I'll turn around. Feel free to join!

Final draft for Tuesday, 75% done in the past, 25% will be exploration, 218 Miles total :

Day Trip

• Like 1

Can’t make this ride but be prepared for temps in mid to high 90s and humidity will be coming in the afternoon so thunderstorms should be kept in mind

Just an FYI, you can't connect the north and south side of Palomar Mountain. Based on your map, it looks like you will be coming up High Point Truck Trail from the 79. Unfortunatley, you'll eventually run into a locked gate, so you'll have to turn around. I'd recommend taking Palomar Divide Rd back down to the 79 from the top. Then you'll have to slab back on the 79 through Warner Springs.

45 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Just an FYI, you can't connect the north and south side of Palomar Mountain. Based on your map, it looks like you will be coming up High Point Truck Trail from the 79. Unfortunatley, you'll eventually run into a locked gate, so you'll have to turn around. I'd recommend taking Palomar Divide Rd back down to the 79 from the top. Then you'll have to slab back on the 79 through Warner Springs.

I planned it using www.californiatrailmap.com (which is awesome by the way, wish I had bought it earlier) and I did not see any locked gate at any point. It does show the gates and their status and didn't see any on the map. I thought that this might be a possibility and if it is the case, we'll just turn around.

Live from the duck farm, I’ll wait 10 mins in case anybody decided to join and then take off.

Ramona Duck Farm

Looks like a no show. Ride safe and watch out for Mountain Lions.

• Like 1

Whats the plan for next week Wednesday might be best choice should be cooler by then according to the weather