alyeska

Exiting dirt riding.

After 2 orthopedic surgeries since Jan and a total of 13 in all it is time to exit the off-road part of my riding and stick to fire roads and cross country.  I have enjoyed the 50+ years of dirt biking but it’s time to quit.  When it cools down in October I will have a garage sale selling all my tools, parts, helmets and gear and I will post it up on craigslist and the local paper here, have thousands of dollars in gear, parts and more.  I have enjoyed riding with a lot of the guys on here even though most of my desert riding was done alone or with one other rider (brother) it has been fun, thanks for the good times. 

• Sad 2

Sorry to see anyone stop riding, but you know your body's limits. I'm sure there are other ways to enjoy life .

Bummer dude, you still need a helmet for a cage, don't be to hasty.

Maybe we should have a leaving riding party at your house

:)

That sucks my dad  just stopped dirt riding two years ago, 

😞Bummer , bro. 

I see a 1250 GS in your future.  😱

I can't blame you, in fact I applaud your ability to see what's smartest for you in the coming years and adjust accordingly.  I'm not kidding myself when I know the real reason I don't have a skinny bike is the feeling that if I'm ever going to get really busted up, it would probably be on a dirt bike. (and then I go drag my 600 lb big bikes through desert places I probably shouldn't be - I know, makes no sense).   My next birthday will start with a 6. And while I refuse to slow my activities down, I am acutely aware of the fact I don't heal like I did a few decades back.  I guess there's a finesse to knowing how to stay active and keep getting your adrenaline fix, yet feather the clutch a bit and start taking off a little ground speed so to speak.

Glad to hear you're not giving up riding.  Sounds like just the 250-500 cc kind of single track wheelie rock hopping stuff is over.  Right?  Do you see yourself doing rides like when we did Picacho / Kofa about a year and a half ago?  Some moto-camping with light to medium difficulty jeep trail on big bikes?

And even though I'm not gonna buy any moto-cross grade gear from you . . . I do want to come out to the garage sale.  It will be epic.

I will probably always keep a large adventure bike but the blazing across the desert days are over for me, it was a long run but when I realized even the jarring of flying a sailplane was too much, that crashing dirt bikes in the desert was a bad thing, riding motorcycles will be something I always do even with a handicap placard but I will do it in a way it doesn’t hurt me.

• Like 4

Sorry to hear the physical ailments have gotten to the point you wont be riding "offroad" , but I am glad you are not giving up all motorcycle activity.  

• Like 1

I feel for ya.  Every year, I lose a little more of my physical ability  to ride off road, and get a little less resistant to injuries.  My rides have been gradually less demanding as the years have gone by.

Totally understand.......one reason I'm aiming for retirement in the next couple of years.......I have boxes to check off on the bucket list and I can't do that until my time is my own...... while I can still swing a leg over the bikes......

Congratulations on all you have done and accomplished on the dirt bikes. I suspect it was the Real World that did in your back, not the bikes. There is a lot to do out -there not involving a dirt bike. 

That said, I am not listening to any of this. I cannot hear you.

Bagstr

• Haha 1

Going to spend some time in Montana, who knows may take up fly fishing! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, alyeska said:

may take up fly fishing! 

You'll put your eye out kid! 😉