Took a ride with 350 Thumper to Ensenada thru Tecate then the wine country. Hot on the way down until we hit the beach. Went fro m 104 down to 70 in about 15 minutes. 

Lots of stops for Tacos.

Guys were giving rides on powered hang gliders. I’m always up for a good time. 

3D174FEE-399D-442B-BD97-D4FB8963F3E2.jpeg

033446E2-28BF-44A6-ACD1-A3929790BB56.jpeg

23498548-A094-4B63-B162-8437C02515AF.jpeg

156FCF65-2C56-4A18-8323-213B5AFF60F6.jpeg

49E9E31E-B7A0-46DF-8BFF-4EBDB75C09AB.jpeg

F958EE70-75E2-44DF-BB8C-9DE98BEF02C8.jpeg

41278D8C-E3F4-4EB5-B103-B33016883865.jpeg

• Like 1

How long did your trip take total? This post is just one of the reasons I'm so glad I found this site!

10 hour tour. All slab. Lots of stops for tacos and beverages. I’ll invite you next time. Probably be 3 weeks out. 

16 hours ago, Nubanator said:

How long did your trip take total? This post is just one of the reasons I'm so glad I found this site!

Welcome to the forum.

Ensenada is not that far. Something like 111km (Kilometers), to the Malecon Playa Hermosa, from the Otay Mesa Border crossing. So about 1.5 hours.

Going down the cost on HWY 1D is beautiful. There are some breathtaking views. If you cut off the coastal highway for a clip on HWY 1, near Playa La Mision toward Ensenada, there are also some beautiful views. And if you really want to put some miles on, you can take HWY 3 through wine country toward Tecate. From Tecate you can either head west back to TJ or you can cross back into the USA and take the 94 back home.

Now, these are all "technically" surface streets. However, some of the roads are more single track than asphalt. Of course I am exaggerating a bit but there is some truth to it as well. There are some areas where the roads turn to dirt when you get off the highways. When you leave the tourist area of Ensenada, it is no joke. There are some pretty jacked up streets with hardly any asphalt.

There is a lot of neat things to see and explore in Baja that isn't very far from the border. I would recommend having a Ready Passport and even better, Sentri. I have Sentri and coming back to the USA is a breeze. Also consider that most US issued Auto Insurance policies do not cover Mexico. You really should buy Mexican Auto insurance. It is like $450 for the year. From what I hear, so do not take it as truth, that if you are in an accident in Mexico and either do not have x amount of cash on hand or insurance, you are automatically at fault and will go to jail. Like I said, that is just what I hear.

I would be down for a Baja trip. I go to Mexico regularly anyways.

When I saw the "all slab" I got excited cause I wanted to bring the couch! The DRZ needs a more comfortable seat set up. I'd be coming from Escondido and would most likely stop at Barrett Cafe near the Tecate border. I have a current passport and my "Real-ID", would you still advise getting Sentri? I'll contact AAA about possible insurance for over the border. Thank you for all the great information. In your opinion taking a big bagger would be dangerous due to unsafe roads?

Sentri no bueno in tecate, use bajabound if u want Mexico insurance

• Like 1

We cross in Tecate. There is no Sentri lane. Only takes about 5 minutes on bikes. We go straight to the front of the line. 

• Like 1

+1 on baja bound insurance.  super easy online.  Pay, print, stick it in your tank bag and go.  Annual policy is cheap, but don't go enough to justify so I buy it daily.  Their customer service is off the hook excellent.  And if you ever see them at their office or at a motorcycle event, GET a tube of their chapstick.  You can thank me later.  And you will.  It's that good.

You can filter to the front at San Ysidro crossing.  The BIG one at the terminal end of I-5.  Just stop when you get to within about 4 or 5 cars of the front and wait.  Smile at the car you about to cut in front of with your hands politely on your thighs.  Like you're not going anywhere.  They will likely nod for you to go ahead.  If not, the next one will.

I'll try to post up here the next time my peop's get a spontaneous need for ceviche in Ensenada.  We usually go with about a days notice, on a Wednesday or Thursday.  Leave SD at about 10am, go down the wonderfully cool coast, gorge ourselves silly on ceviche, then ride through the wine country back to Tecate, cross over, and have highway 94 for dessert going home.  Just in time for dinner with the fam.  All paved roads.