paulmbowers

Plenty of Fuel and Plenty of Time.

Several weeks ago, Bagstr posted some images of his Subaru ramblings around Dolores, Colorado. Included in his post was a threat to return to explore and implied in that threat was a Magellan or Lewis and Clark mapping and track-seeking trip. Those of us who've enjoyed riding with The Governor in the past may easily recollect long-winded explanations of obscure routes, waypoints and trails.

The threat of a riding trip with lots of stops and GPS reflection was very real.

And hell, yes, I signed on.

An excellent trip, lots of stopping and mapping- we were never lost and the trails were full of surprises. One brief rainstorm (sprinkle storm?), some beer and only a few tip-overs. Explored two days, then settled on The Aspen Loop for my final day. Bags cooked up a track, we loaded it up and off we went. Great day, and once we knew where we were going, few stops and lots to see.

Thanks, Bags!

Day One. You'll need to ask Magellan where we were exactly. I just followed.

6E2BC731-93FE-43BD-BA67-5F611182C476.jpeg

83AED852-5227-41BF-ABAE-EEBE39FCB085.jpeg

2B975844-C52B-4F3B-8401-66AF43BCAB1F.jpeg

• Like 3

On 7/13/2019 at 2:53 PM, paulmbowers said:

Very beautiful country!

• Like 1

Day Two.
Somewhere above Mancos. That's pronounced "mankus" so one does not sound like one is from California.

415E239B-5329-4B8B-8C16-66F0E9DB4AC7.jpeg

722CDB5C-F406-4D70-A389-57B9EBDA066B.jpeg

F458B8B3-2146-4E86-B861-A245E872777B.jpeg

50134E58-A33D-4DE3-B643-3CBFE7CE9C7D.jpeg

DC54CF0C-121E-456B-8879-C11CFCB5FDE9.jpeg

5C9B85A7-6738-44DE-ABE1-141E17D5ABE8.jpeg

Our HQ:

ED5908DF-659D-4103-A73C-9C26AE437514.jpeg

4B31407D-1F44-40B3-8750-4089B03D3F0D.jpeg

• Like 1

Working Title - Plenty of gas: Lots of time

Busy Mapping,,, I will get back to you. Three days of experiencing the new.  We were extremely lucky to hit the 8-11k zone two weeks after it was un- ridable from mud etc. From my perspective this was a major mind game filtering a vast array of possibilities. PMB and I have had the same mind-set and the result has been outstanding.

Bagstr

P.S. Great Mexican Dinner here in the Dolores District of the San Juan National Forest.

11 hours ago, Bagstr said:

From my perspective this was a major mind game filtering a vast array of possibilities.

From my perspective looks like you guys are having an amazing time...

Thanks for the comments. Back at the Outpost after half a day riding out the Transfer/Trailhead north of Mancos ( pronounced Mancus for you out of towners). Colorado intense Blue punctuated with White to gray clouds. You know the shocking Colorado Thing. Thirty-Nine mile Aspen Loop; 9-11k ft of 75%  50" trials in Aspen and fir; to finish up three days of exploring the basics of what the Dolores District has to offer. A Great Deal, in my opinion. Timing is everything and Fakename Bowers and I Hit It big time, green. green, green. Early flowers, the whole deal. This is the Dolores District of the San Juan National Forest west of Durango and east of Monticello, Utah. 85f in Dolores, 65-70f at elevation. Most of the Interweb Talk is about the passes, but Many places in Colorado offer outstanding out of the box experiences. This is one of them. Siting here at the Outpost in my impromptu patio, I see the traffic headed to Telluride. Good luck finding a room and local content. But it is what people have heard about. Keep driving, nothing to see here.

Fakename Bowers has been a terrific riding buddy on this trip. We both wanted to have a whatever exploration with no preconceived expectations. We lucked out with our guesses on trails. Willow Divide up the West Dolores River drainage, Haycamp Mesa and the Aspen Loop.out of Mancos drainage.  As much as I could have hoped for. PMB was ready for the unknown to un-fold. The un-known was fabulous. Major Thank You to PMB  for investing the time and $$ to make it happen. Also;  Not bad having a professional photographer along on the trail. I am humbled. I will put up my record as time allows.

"Plenty of Gas and Lots of Time"  Outstanding,  Bagstr

🏔️🌲

• Like 2

Wow! What scenery! Now I'm envious. 🙂 

You guys suck. Riding while I’m at work in the heat. 

Jealous

In case you want to know, the drive is 12 hours; split it up into two days recommended. 

La Mesa sea breeze is not bad on return .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bagstr said:

In case you want to know, the drive is 12 hours; split it up into two days recommended. 

La Mesa sea breeze is not bad on return .

TRUTH!

Sometimes I really miss living in CO @ 9,000'.  It's a fantastically wonderful place to get ones mail.  However . . . . . La Mesa.  In a perfect world one would have mailboxes in both localities.

So two travellers find themselves is Flagstaff overnight. Having driven 450 miles that day, they had no interest in driving across town to the better restaurants, Buddy 1 searches the internet and comes up with a "Steak House" 15 minutes walking distance. Buddy 2 responds, " Great. let's try it."  Under the overpass, across a lot with 75 idling big rigs next to the truck wash, there is the yellow  Black Bart's Steakhouse, Saloon and Musical Revue sign.  Say what??  The hike continues through a forest of pine trees and $300,000 RVs; the Yellow building appears. Through the doors to a western room of nostalgia and loud Broadway live performance. To our surprise the room is sold out, no room at the table. Well young lady, "Will you serve us in the Saloon?"  " Let me check ....We will be happy to serve you in the saloon." 

The best thing about a saloon is the fact that you are close to the bartender. Manhattan and a cold IPA makes the menu seem more palatable. Unfortunately the wall of spirits we are facing has a cut-out above the  booze that opens to the stage where the college kids are belting out  Oklahoma, South Pacific and the rest. My 67 year old ears can just barely hear the pleasant banter across the bar from the barkeep. Mmmm, I will have the $25 broiled chicken instead of the $39 streak, thanks. The salad was pretty good.

Walking out the double doors into the early evening and the rumbling trucks, I thought; Well that's about as much fun as I can handle after a long day on the road. Good find buddy.

https://blackbartssteakhouse.com/index.php

• Haha 1

Ok, I have to ask, why did you guys drive separately???

33 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Ok, I have to ask, why did you guys drive separately???

My daughter lives in Dolores and I stayed over. That and Paul and I barely get along.

1 hour ago, Bagstr said:

That and Paul and I barely get along.

We get along?

Huh.

News to me. I just don't know where I'm going and need to follow somebody.

On 7/17/2019 at 9:46 AM, Bagstr said:

P10301501000w-L.jpg

Wow...you lucky dog

Didn't know there was Sasquatch sightings in south western Colorado 

Sasquatch, also called Bigfoot, (from Salish se’sxac: “wild men”) a large, hairy, humanlike creature believed by some people to exist in the northwestern United States and western Canada. It seems to represent the North American counterpart of the Himalayan region’s mythical monster, the Abominable Snowman, or Yeti.

Excited

IMG_1223-M.jpg

IMG_1222-M.jpg

Three Days riding (9-11,000ft )

Filter-M.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Three Days riding (9-11,000ft )

Filter-M.jpg

To be fair, it was three days riding without dust....