NickC

Just getting started

Hey all, I am just getting into dual-sport riding. I have been learning as much as I can from articles and YouTube about where to get started and which bikes to try. I haven't ridden in about 10 years. I just got this bug to get back on the road, out of town and in the dirt and there's no shaking it! I plan to get a bike, something small like a CRF250L or WR250R, pack it up with some camping essentials, and head out for a weekend of trail riding with some friends.

I joined this forum to meet other riders in San Diego who are getting out there and try to learn as much as I can from them and make some new friends.

Hope to see you on the trails!

- NIck

Welcome Nick, this is a great resource as many of these guys have been doing it a lonnngg time. I just did my first moto camp trip with them a few weeks ago and I’m hooked. I ride a WR250r and I’m pleased with it so far, getting suspension done next week and have a larger fuel tank to install to extend adventure range. 

Hi Nick, lots of good deals on lightly used bikes out there so I hope you find a good one.  

Welcome to the group, see ya on the trail.

Just buy a bike and join in on a ride...forget about the bills....:heh:

Hi Nick, you should join us at the Club Meeting July 17th...and we have a guest speaker right up your alley....see post in Upcoming Meetings.

Welcome to the community !

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I found a great deal on a new 2018 Honda CRF250L Rally for $3,885 and I am actually going now to pick it up! I can't wait to get it dirty.

• Like 1

Dang wouldn't you know it, I was just checking out news on ADV Rider and Honda has announced a recall on a bunch of bikes. It appears yours is affected.

Welcome.

I should have known. It was just marketing. The dealer had fees to back it up. They ended up still offering a great deal, but not the deal I was ready to take. Back to the hunt...

1 hour ago, NickC said:

Leaning towards the BMW G310GS now. Hoping to find one with the Rally Raid kit.

Nice for a beginner around town commuter but you’ll probably want more bike very quickly. 

If your looking for a more entry level bike that’s dirt worthy shop for a Suzuki DRZ400(good in dirt ok street) Or the Dr650( better street than dirt)It’s a bike that will do it all. 

Most people out grow the Honda 250l very quickly. 

Back in '82 I was looking for a bike and was pretty set on an XR.  Three of us went to ECC (back when Jack owned it) and one of my buddies said "let's just get 500's".  He was 40 pounds lighter than me and that "big" of bike scared me, but I bought it anyway.  Wasn't long before I had pulled the reed valve (had 'em back then and they were junk; still junk on bikes today!), opened up the air box, re-jetted, etc. looking for more power.

Get a bigger bike and be happy!  You don't have to use the extra power but you'll be happy it is there when you need it!

45 minutes ago, Ken S said:

Nice for a beginner around town commuter but you’ll probably want more bike very quickly. 

If your looking for a more entry level bike that’s dirt worthy shop for a Suzuki DRZ400(good in dirt ok street) Or the Dr650( better street than dirt)It’s a bike that will do it all. 

Most people out grow the Honda 250l very quickly. 

I think I want something more modern than the DRZs if I am going to buy new. Also the lower seat height is a plus since I'm 5'7" only. I know the stock 310GS doesn't offer much for the dirt but the rally raid kit seems legit and I saw 2 fully kitted ones sell used for ~$6k which seems like a good bargain. I have been scouring craigslist for used DRZs, WR250Rs and really any of the dual sports out there. On top of the bike, I still have to buy all the safety gear so I'm lookin' at quite a bit of cash to get into this adventure. Trying to be patient and wait for good deals.

• Like 1

Or go all out KTM with a 50k garage like mine

52DCB4E2-A312-4933-BCA2-63E0F761979B.jpeg

• Like 1

Good For You Nick. That has enough punch to get you our of town safely. Look into proper Rider Sag on the springs to save yourself grief. Easy to set up and make life enjoyable.