Mr.JAJA

What size tank?

OK, I started working on my 1984 Yamaha TT600. I stripe here down and now start to fit parts from a 1995 XT 600. I have a lot of parts, the Question is, Should I leave the original 2.9 gal Yamaha Tank, or install the 6 gal Acerbis tank. For the Acerbis tank, I have to modified the attachments and seat. Welding new brackets is not a big deal, I just cant easy swap the tanks for local rides. The XT motor has e-starter and a 12volt system and the same HP than the TT600 with kick starter only. With getting an average of 40 m/gal, the 2.9 gal gets me a little over 100 miles. Sound low to me.

Any suggestion?

Big  tank for the longer adventure rides, Small one for Twofer Tuesday  and grocery shoping .

If the big tank doesn't bother you as far as ergos, then it can be run with only a few gallons when you want the lighter weight and topped off when you need the range.

• Like 1

I put the big tank on my lil bike and found no reason to ever take it off again...other than it doesn't look as cool, but I don't care about that.

• Like 1

Big tank, don't need to fill it up all the time...like Mo said.

Hey Mo !

• Like 1

I have a 4.7 gal tank on my workbench to put on my little WR250. Go big I say...

Verdict reached. Big tank thanks for the input.

No way would I put a 6 gallon tank on there especially if you ride single trails or sand washes.

With gas weighing roughly 6.3lbs x 6 gallons = 37.8lbs will handle terribly. Plus more tiring.  Anyways you'd take a break for food, buddies getting gas, or rest before running out of gas.

I would go with comfortable ergo's run 2.9 tank. Different folk's different strokes. Comes down to your riding style and terrain.

8 minutes ago, luna said:

No way would I put a 6 gallon tank on there especially if you ride single trails or sand washes.

With gas weighing roughly 6.3lbs x 6 gallons = 37.8lbs will handle terribly. Plus more tiring.  Anyways you'd take a break for food, buddies getting gas, or rest before running out of gas.

I would go with comfortable ergo's run 2.9 tank. Different folk's different strokes. Comes down to your riding style and terrain.

Doubt he will ride that on a xt600 should weigh close to 350-400lbs. Do agree depends on what you will use it for. Only 950se stock tank good for 100 miles if I'm lucky other option is 8 gallon safari which I have and good for 200+ but don't use since I don't rode bike that long without fuel

19 minutes ago, luna said:

Like many of us said, he doesn't have to carry a full tank all the time.

9 hours ago, luna said:

Luna, I am not racing anymore and try to keep the weight down. I am sure that carrying more weight on the trail will be easier for me, than pushing the bike out of the woods empty. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wasn't it bikesluts tagline, it may seem like a small amount of gas to you but it represents a long walk to me, or something like that.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Uncle Champ said:

Wasn't it bikesluts tagline, it may seem like a small amount of gas to you but it represents a long walk to me, or something like that.

Trophyhunter's!

But here's the thing- it's not an additional 37.8 lbs, which WOULD make a big difference. It's about half that, because one is only adding half that volume, as there's always a tank of some sort. Now, 18.9 additional lbs is not insignificant, unless compared to my body weight, in which case it's a BB in a boxcar of fishing weights.

BUT!

It's neither riding style nor terrain that dictates the use of a big tank- it's very simple. How far between fuel? And for many of us, it's very far. And, like on a recent trip posted here, what happens when three guys reach the distant fueling station that has no fuel? Or if, instead of going over the mountain pass to the fuel 3.2 miles from the summit, snow forces a 20 mile retreat to the origin point?

Personally, I'll carry the bigger tank. But I'm not a very good rider, so I'm unlikely to notice the difference anyway.

12 hours ago, Mikey777 said:

I put the big tank on my lil bike and found no reason to ever take it off again...other than it doesn't look as cool, but I don't care about that.

Agreed.  There's a 5.3 tank on my 500 that isn't coming off.........the bigger plastic tank isn't THAT much heavier than stock and I've grown accustomed to the bowlegged seating/standing position..........I generally only fill it with ~2-3gallons and that weight is actually slung down lower than stock........

My weight issues are not related to how the bike is equipped.......it's more of a diet/waistline issue :o:heh:

• Haha 1

I've often thought about the weight issue, I'll pay x amount of money for some lighter thingamajig for the bike, and then not look in the mirror. Isn't fat light?

I think you're making my point, if your not going to fill up all the time, have the ergo's of smaller tank, and be comfortable on motorcycle for the ride.

Takes about 20-30 minutes to change a tank out. Put the correct one on for the riding situation that day/trip.

I guess we'll agree to disagree.

6 hours ago, luna said:

I think you're making my point, if your not going to fill up all the time, have the ergo's of smaller tank, and be comfortable on motorcycle for the ride.

Takes about 20-30 minutes to change a tank out. Put the correct one on for the riding situation that day/trip.

I get what you're saying. Personally If just out doing a short ride the small tank is way fun. I've been running a 3 gal tank which generally gets me 130 - 160 miles. That's about as far as I feel like riding these days. I recently picked up a new fuel pump for the 3 gal and put the original in the stock 2.1 gal tank. Once desert season rolls around I can't wait to throw it on for the camping weekends where we tend to do multiple shorter loops instead of one long ride. With the quick disconnect on the fuel .line it's about a 15 minute swap.

7 hours ago, luna said:

As I stated, I have to cut and weld to make the big  tank fit. Not a 15 min swap anymore. Already cut the original brackets of and start re weld later. 

1 hour ago, Mr.JAJA said:

As I stated, I have to cut and weld to make the big  tank fit. Not a 15 min swap anymore. 

Well, we can't help it that you work so slowly. I see it all the time on TV- just takes a few minutes. Sometimes you see them working, like, REAL FAST.

Those TV guys are real good.

• Like 1

Lucky I am retired and have all the time. Did some frame mods today to make the Acerbis Tank fit. Will do the front mounts over the weekend.

• Like 1