KTMrad

My First Real Dualsport Ride Ever 1995

My first dualsport ride ever.. January or February 1995 Palm Springs area with Team Dual Dogs and Damon Powell...I was a novice and showed up on a ride for intermediate and above skill levels....  Damon Powell tried to warn me about this ride, that maybe I shouldn't go...I thought, "I roadrace, how tough can this ride be"?...well, I was enlightened when I couldn't make it up the first sandhill...everybody motored on by me, and I was then on my own.
After riding around for a bit, I went back to the starting point. This big guy named Alfred was there, he asked "what happened, why are you back here"...I explained and he said "oh, you must be the new guy Damon mentioned"....we laughed.
Alfred didn't want me to waste my trip up there, so he took me out riding for the rest of the day on Damon's BMW press bike R1100GS, even though he had a broken finger. Alfred said "if you can't keep up with me on your little DR350, then you might want to find another sport"...I made it thru the day just fine, Alfred and I became best friends and have ridden many awesome rides together since then...wow, 24 years ago.

20190702_122711.jpg

20190702_122642.jpg

20190702_122623.jpg

20190702_122724.jpg

Alfred was a big help in going through the 98 KTM 620 ADV I bought........stayed with him in Vegas and we went through the bike together then took a spin in Death Valley.........always to look forward to visiting with him every year at the BBTR Big Bear Run and LA-B-V........Heineken in hand :heh::drinks:

Randy,

Outrageous that you are sharing this with us.  I love It. We have all been on a journey.  Simply different stops along the way. 

Dave

• Like 1