Sign in to follow this  
dirt dame

Welp...that didn't take long...

So...I have had my 2018 FE 501 for a little over a year.  Last weekend, with less than 1900 miles on it, the clutch gave out in the middle of a ride at Big Bear.  There wasn't any warning.  One minute, the clutch was operating perfectly, then the next time I pulled in the lever, the pressure felt right, but the bike lurched and stalled when I released the lever.  Pulling the lever in again, and there was no pressure what so ever.   I  told my riding buddies to go on without me, and limped the bike 40 miles back to the car, mostly on open highway, thank heavens.  as soon as I got back in town, I went directly to Moto Forza and bought an aftermarket clutch slave unit.  Expensive little item, but the Oberon was there in front of me on the parts counter, and the prognosis was doubtful that another Magura would last any longer than the original.  The Brembo KTM unit was another option, but would have to be ordered.  I'm disappointed that the Magura units aren't reliable, and fail so early.  The Magura  on my old TE 450 also failed, but not for a few years, and 7602 made a really nice piston/Xring kit that would upgrade the slave cylinder to better performance.  Too bad 7602 didn't come up with something for my new ride.  All Balls makes a rebuild kit for the stock Magura,  but reviews that I read on that were not good.  Anyway, I took the Oberon clutch slave back to garage and popped it onto the bike.  It came with everything necessary, gasket, crush washers (I thought one was a spare, but the locknut on the clutch line wouldn't make contact with only one washer, so I stacked both of them up).  I've heard that the Oberon is the best, so I'm hoping it will last many years.

64767406_2224709930898920_38780329763736

Interesting that the two bikes (Husky and KTM) have different clutch slave cylinders, but I guess they need to have something to differentiate between the two.  

Your tale just reminded me that I stuck some random O-ring in my TE450 slave cylinder about 3-4 years ago in a “quick fix, I’l get the right parts after this weekend ride” repair!  I’m not going to take it apart if it’s still working.....😂

14 minutes ago, tntmo said:

Interesting that the two bikes (Husky and KTM) have different clutch slave cylinders, but I guess they need to have something to differentiate between the two.  

Your tale just reminded me that I stuck some random O-ring in my TE450 slave cylinder about 3-4 years ago in a “quick fix, I’l get the right parts after this weekend ride” repair!  I’m not going to take it apart if it’s still working.....😂

Husqvarnas come with all Magura brake/clutch components all  the way around, while KTMs are all Brembo.  I guess they are equipped that way because they each have a history of being equipped that way...although Husqvarna may do well if they were to switch over to Brembo, to avoid a bad reputation.

For what it's worth, I've had great success with the All Balls rebuild kits for calipers and master cylinders.

14 minutes ago, Oracle said:

For what it's worth, I've had great success with the All Balls rebuild kits for calipers and master cylinders.

I've had good luck with their brake kits too.  I think the clutch kits don't work because it's a Magura that people are trying to repair.

Only brembo fan boy now, 15 te310 and 2011 te630 both had magura and clutch and brakes both had problems, all 7 ktms I've had have had zero issues with brembo

Have an oberon thats been in my 990 for over 12 years no problems

flush the fluid bout once a year

I have 2 friends that had the same thing happen. They both with with recluse after that.  Sounds like the KTM slave is a more stout choice

Been over a year with the Oberon now.  Looks like it is holding strong.

So what is failing on the cylinder? Seals, housing breaks, tread strip???

Like to see the parts just for curiosity.

59 minutes ago, Mr.JAJA said:

So what is failing on the cylinder? Seals, housing breaks, tread strip???

Like to see the parts just for curiosity.

I think it's an O ring.

21 hours ago, dirt dame said:

I think it's an O ring.

Maybe a nice inside polish and new O-ring will help. If the surface to rough, it will eat the O-ring. A underlayed O- ring is a other option.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mr.JAJA said:

Maybe a nice inside polish and new O-ring will help. If the surface to rough, it will eat the O-ring. A underlayed O- ring is a other option.

I think an o-ring with slightly different dimensions ended up being the answer, but by that time, I already had the Oberon.

Oberon is for sure a great product, after having reoccurring issues with my 2008 TXC450 Husky Race bike came with Magura system, I went through not in this order slave cylinders added 7602 pistons, adde Z type seals to the pistons, both OEM and wide body 7602 pistons added ZipTy Racing slave cylinder, used only OEM Magura blood fluid, found 1 master cylinder plating had peeled in the cylinder which was cutting the pressure seal after going through a couple of rebuild kits...…….replaced the master assy. Replaced the pressure plate shaft due to the ball indentation on the ends.

Still had issues on and off, did a supermoto trick by putting a oring on the pressure plate shaft near the slave end, this prevents the shaft from vibrating inside the block passage to the pressure plate. Sold bike to friend worked OK for him who rarely rode it. I borrowed it to compare when we tested the first SWM 500 and 300 in the US and the freaking clutch failed. I redid it with new seals etc. . Borrowed it when my TX300 was down for rebuild. Clutch failed again...…… Bought and installed an Oberon Slave for measley @ $100 added fresh blood, rode the crap out of it for a few months this past pandemic spring and the thing is perfect.

So any questions--------be sure your master is good, but most likely the slave is at issue (lots of engine heat to contribute) buy and Oberon Slave and ride.

• Like 1

What he said.     

On 8/28/2020 at 9:43 AM, robertaccio said:

So any questions--------be sure your master is good, but most likely the slave is at issue (lots of engine heat to contribute) buy and Oberon Slave and ride.

Similar issues on the 950/990 the other culprit was the spacer between the slave and the motor would distort over time and could put stress on the shaft that passes thru it.
My 990 has one of the first oberons made on it and is going on 13 years. Never an issue.

Also I replaced the mineral oil with 2.5wt fork oil.

• Like 1