paulmbowers

Baofengs UV5r becoming illegal *Buy Now*

The FCC is making the u5r contraband due to its non-compliance with part 90 of the regs. I don’t know what took them so long. I’d be interested to see what Rugged Radios will do. 

There are other Baos that are a little more more money and more power as alternatives, but the super-cheap ones are being banned  

https://survivalblog.com/baofeng-sales-ban-countdown-continues/?fbclid=IwAR2d6asSdSZB2axvDQLHlwgf7f_4U5_xrPI-isNSxV7YnsGoBXPuYIx89Cg

Thanks for the tip, need to tell all my friends. It's what we all use in Baja.

Not, btw, illegal to own, possess or give as gifts.

Only illegal to sell after September 30th.

Yep. I personally own 3, but our groups are normally 15-20 riders to Baja.

Actually last Dec. is how I knew about this website. SDAR had a group Baja same time as us. Whne I looked at photo's I saw our bikes in background.

Anyways, for the price, it's a great tool to have on the trail.

Just about every Chinese radio is non-compliant. It will be interesting to see if the ban will extend to all of them. Actually in researching further It appears the issue is that they are not part 95 compliant. Part 95 refers to frs band. The uv5-r is part 90 compliant but not part 95. My guess is that the mfrs will just block out the frs frequencies to get around the ban. Should be relatively easy to do in the firmware.