Sign in to follow this  
SaMaKi

San Diego to Big Bear Lake Advice

Hello everybody!

As mentioned in my intro, my friend and I are planning a 10 day trip to Colorado but to "practice" and test out camping gear and else, we are going tomorrow to Big Bear lake from San Diego, sleep there and come back on Wednesday.

From that, I made two tracks using GPSies & TRXTrailhead :

San Diego to Big Bear 

Big Bear to San Diego

It is a mix of twisties, highway and trails.

I know it's a little too late to ask but if you guys could take a look at it and give me some feedback as to what trail we may going through will be closed or what not or any other input (time too short, distance too long...etc)  would be much appreciated. I am a novice at these kind of trips and this will be a practice for me.

Thank you!

Ok, so the first route you have there are a couple issues. First, when you are heading up the first section of Santa Ysabel TT to Black Mountain TT, once you get to that intersection, it becomes an up and back. There is a closed gate and you can not connect Black Mountain TT all the way to Mesa Grande (the gate is where Black Mountain makes a hard right to go all the way to the top). Instead, head up Santa Ysabel TT but stay to the right once you get to the intersection with Black Mountain. Take this all the way to Black Canyon Rd, make a left and head into Mesa Grande. Second, there is no need to go up Palomar Divide. It is back tracking and will add too much time to the route. Once you get to Warner Springs (before you would turn off for Palomar Divide, make a right onto Lost Creek Rd). You can take this all the way into Anza and it's fun...almost all dirt. Once in Anza, there are several options, including the one in the first map.

So, use the first map, make the changes I mentioned above, and use this to get you to the 74. Once you are at the 74, use the second map. That section north of 74 is all dirt and drops you down into Banning. I've done the route from Ramona to BB a few times. It's a pretty full day...you're looking at approximately 8 hours on big bikes. 

PM your email address and I'll send you some track.

LB

I had a feeling you'd be the first one to pitch in....thank you! I'll PM you my email right now!

1 hour ago, SaMaKi said:

I had a feeling you'd be the first one to pitch in....thank you! I'll PM you my email right now!

Share email I'll email tracks also, probably similar to oracles but been day drinking so don't have patience to read his full description

• Haha 1

You guys rock. @Oracle I’m a little confused about the first part in Santa Ysabel and Black Mountain. 

As for Lost Creek rd, I love that road...the paved part is also a blast, been there couple of times and the first time I ended up in Chihuahua Valley rd and made a left to connect to the 79. When we went to Santa Rosa, we crossed Chihuahua Valley rd that time and went all the way to Anza.

If you have a GPX of what you mean for the Santa Ysabel / Black Mountain, that’d be great.

Sending you another email with tracks from Ramona to Mesa Grande

I got all your tracks guys! Thank you! I'll link those two to get us warmed up with Black Mountain. 

Your tracks do go to Green Valley Lake. My goal was to fish Big Bear Lake when we get there unless it's too late at night but we'll probably leave San Diego around 7AM so we should probably be fine unless we hit a snag. Any of you ever fished Big Bear? If so, where did you camp near the lake?

:thumbsup_anim: What day you leaving??

Tomorrow morning. Hopefully taking off by 7am or so. First real trip, pretty excited. I’ll report as soon as we come back. 😬

Meanwhile if anybody has any camping or fishing tip for there. I’m all ears!

We made it back Tuesday. I haven’t forgotten to report, I just have been busy with work but I’ll try to put a little video recap of our trip in the report section. Again thank you guys for your help!

Cool, glad it worked out.