This past weekend marked the 25th annual Big Bear Run.   Really great club/ride.   I stayed with Zoot and rode with Dress4Less and some other friends.   Our 60yr old+ foursome declined to pursue the hardways (Old Age and Wisdom).......we just pimped the EZ way route.  Weather couldn't have been better and it was a really enjoyable day.    Came across one Hardway rider in a jam and helped him out.  He punctured his tubeless set up because he forgot to air up again after airing down to ~5lbs for the climb at 38 Special....... that's one thing I don't like about tubeless, if you actually break through and rip the sheathing/inner tube you're screwed........so we ripped all that out and put a regular tube inside even though that meant he'd be running without a rim lock on the back........he air'd up a bit more than desired and still managed to get his plaque (met up with him at the banquet).  

A few pics

019.JPG

020.JPG

021.JPG

028.JPG

025.JPG

• Like 2

I have only run Big Bear once but really enjoyed it and need to see more of that area.  Great pics!!

Was that yellow bike authorized to be there at that KTM event?  😂

Well done to all who attempted and completed the hard route.  I have never been there, too many people at once trying to get through stuff like that... I would be willing to try it but don’t want to hold up that many other people.  Would rather go with a few friends and try it.

13 minutes ago, tntmo said:

Was that yellow bike authorized to be there at that KTM event?  😂

Well done to all who attempted and completed the hard route.  I have never been there, too many people at once trying to get through stuff like that... I would be willing to try it but don’t want to hold up that many other people.  Would rather go with a few friends and try it.

Lemons and ADV rigs are perfectly acceptable on the EZ loop........doubt you'd see one grabbing a HW plaque.........lot's of plated two strokes and/or light KTM/Husky/exotic

Like you, I'm good for a couple HWs as part of a ride (except 38 Special........been there/done that ONCE........and that's enough).......7 or 8 HWs in one a day combined with total mileage at ~200.......hard pass from this old fat man......

Oh, I know a few people who wouldn’t seem to have issues doing any of that stuff on a DRZ or XR400R.  The plated 2 stroke with a Rekluse makes it easier, that’s for sure.

I haven’t been riding up there for a few years, should make it up there again.

I rode hard route last year and came up short about 40 miles on my 500. 

Its no joke. Last year was 100 plus and the fuel was boiling in my tank after climbing Malcolm Smith the hard way. 

Kudos to those who finish. There a lot tougher than me. 

Lets do a SDAR ride up there. 

I kinda know my way around the area. 

The weather was about as good as it gets this year. 38 special was absolute mayhem during my run up. Bikes stuck everywhere. People attempting every line possible. One bike stalled in a choice line with 5 or 6 others stuck behind him. I wasn’t helping the traffic jam much myself. Bike kept over heating and forced me to let it cool down between moving a few feet up at a time. Plus there’s traffic coming down at the same time. I was moving at a quick pace prior to 38 special with minimal stops in hopes of getting ahead of most of the traffic but I seemed to get there right as most people were making their run up. On my way back down it wasn’t as crowded. 

I have to echo the sentiment on the HW run. You have to be on the athletic side and although it’s not a race you have to move at a brisk pace throughout the day to make it in time. I was on pace to finish in time up until about the last 30miles but didn’t have enough energy left in the tank to finish in time. 

Tex were you on your 300?

I was at a bday party for one of kids at my daughter's daycare on Saturday and another dad has seen me pull up at her school with bikes in back and talked to me about big bear run, he's done it 3 times bailed all times at 150ish miles and said f that never attempting again. We both laughed and finished our beers.

Yep on the 300 with the "Big Bear" setup installed (4 gallon gas tank, powered GPS mount, and license plate installed). Last year I was with Kenny and Pete and bailed out around 160miles. This year I went the full 210miles but didn't make it in time. Unsure if I'll attempted it again.

Devon, I would have bet money you would have finished.  Damn.  My gps started acting up before I even got to 38 Special.  (It wouldn't show the trail if zoomed in enough to be useful.) 38 was a zoo when I was going up a little after 9.  My 300, with no fan, also overheated and I had to wait for it to cool down.  But the 300 with the Shinko cheater 505 tire was way better at climbing that hill than my 500.   After 38 I tagged along with others to mostly stay on track.  Finally gave up on the way to Redonda.   With the cooler weather I thought this might be my year.    Doubtful I'll try again in the normal heat.

9 hours ago, HacksawPete said:

But the 300 with the Shinko cheater 505 tire was way better at climbing that hill than my 500.   

Did you air down?   I used to air down to ~5psi front and rear to climb that mutha...... I might not have made it otherwise........at 60yrs old I'm done with that F'n climb :heh::coolio:......haven't gone up Pussycat/38 in ~10(?) years and don't intend to head back up ever again......plus, the two traffic is a sh*t show......

I ran a mousse front and rear so i didnt have to carry anything having to do with fixing a flat.  Traction was not my issue - overheating was.  I'm 60 also and I like the hill climbs.  Too bad I can't seem to get that plaque. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HacksawPete said:

I ran a mousse front and rear so i didnt have to carry anything having to do with fixing a flat.  Traction was not my issue - overheating was.  I'm 60 also and I like the hill climbs.  Too bad I can't seem to get that plaque. 

You guys should all do Evans non aqueous  Evans Powersports coolant. And of course if you are slow going a fan is good thing to have as well.

1 hour ago, robertaccio said:

You guys should all do Evans non aqueous  Evans Powersports coolant.

Far be it from me to disagree with an expert...but...I'm not a fan.

Evans will not protect against overheating. Evans will only protect against boilover- and the difference is important. Evans will allow the engine to operate at a higher temperature before giving the obvious sign of overheating- steam and such coming out of the overflow. By the time the Evans gives that indication, serious engine damage might have already resulted- ask me how I know.

Yes, if racing and racing remotely, the Evans will prevent coolant loss (not overheating!) that might keep one from continuing the race. But that's a pretty narrow specific use- most of us are not racing like that.

With all due respect and admiration...

2 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

Far be it from me to disagree with an expert...but...I'm not a fan.

Evans will not protect against overheating. Evans will only protect against boilover- and the difference is important. Evans will allow the engine to operate at a higher temperature before giving the obvious sign of overheating- steam and such coming out of the overflow. By the time the Evans gives that indication, serious engine damage might have already resulted- ask me how I know.

Yes, if racing and racing remotely, the Evans will prevent coolant loss (not overheating!) that might keep one from continuing the race. But that's a pretty narrow specific use- most of us are not racing like that.

With all due respect and admiration...

plus one

Huge fan of Evans plus Trailtech Fan

If gone this route with The WR450F. 500EXC and 300XCW. 

Never overheated or boiled over since. 

Worth the investment. 

11 hours ago, Ken S said:

Never overheated or boiled over since. 

Because this is the internet and discussions can be easily misinterpreted, I want to be clear- this post is delivered in a casual, easy-going manner and intent. Like a couple guys over a beer, not like keyboard warriors. I have a lot of respect for Ken's (and Robert's) abilities and experience, and I offer a differing observation in the hopes of learning. OK?

The question is: How would you know you never overheated? I'm certain you never boiled over, and accept that- you would know, I wouldn't. But using Evans does not keep the engine running cooler- it only inhibits boil over. It does not reduce engine operating temperature- in fact, it allows the engine to run hotter without boil over, the outward indication of overheating. So the engine itself can be exceeding critical temps as designed by the Great Austrian Designers, with no indication to the rider.

Is it the end of the world?

Probably not.

And in a race, I really wouldn't care- I want to keep as much coolant in the bike as I can, and am happy to rebuild the motor as often as necessary, because I race ;  ) But for those of us without such means and abilities, I'd much rather know when the bike is too hot so I can stop and rest it before causing further expensive damage or long-term premature wear.

Because this is the internet and discussions can be easily misinterpreted, I want to be clear- this post is delivered in a casual, easy-going manner and intent. Like a couple guys over a beer, not like keyboard warriors. I have a lot of respect for Ken's (and Robert's) abilities and experience, and I offer a differing observation in the hopes of learning. OK?

I'm with Kenny. With the trailtech fan you're temps are being monitored and what I really like is how that waterless coolant doesn't cause any kind of corrosion.

• Like 1

The Trail Tech fan is a game changer. You can set when it comes on. I set mine at 175. Pulls a lot of air thru the radiator. 

I’m very confident I haven’t overheated a bike while running this setup. 

• Like 1

Paul, you are correct with that , but fact is I have boiled my Evans its just is at a higher boiling point, i really cant see with other than some ancillary issues with "soft" parts that the engine could be ruined  , Tecate enduro Ive boiled it at least once and in a NHHA . At most that's probably around 400 F metal parts should be fine up there.

Boil  recovery is very quick as soon as you get air back through the rads. It has many benefits from the usual low vapor pressure under normal operating engine temps , so even if you spike/cactus a hose it will barely leak, you can pop your cap while its running fairly safe without getting exploded on. 

PS note if it does boil over the steam and diffused liquid becomes quite flammable under that condition as seen at one of the Texas extreme enduros a few years back, on a 4T the header can lite the stuff off.

everything has plusses and negs for my use the plusses outweigh the negatives. Also as you noted it keeps the liquid in place for heat transfer and prevents air boil hot spots .

note without pressure water boils at 212F at sea level with a pressure cap some what higher , and of course with a OEM standard coolant/AF its higher, with standard Evans is @ 375 F with a pressure cap probably a bit higher.  we have choices

MXA has a fairly good very simple write up on their Evans  test (1 KTM 350 with Evans one with Maxima coolant) with some numbers and they are critical as usual and not just magazine fanboys as usual.

BTW I used Maxima Coolant ( I use all Maxima products) extensively prior to my Evans switch.

I also used ZipTy coolant for a while , he had an even different formula, but I went to Evans due to its widespread availability, and the Evans owner/chemical engineer's son (product sales) sold me on their brand at the MXGP at Glen Helen. Many of the MXGP teams had it their race bikes.

Ken's and Pauls setup with a fan is the very bullet proof setup, I have not really found the need for a fan...except for my few boil over moments.

If you stick with standard cooling liquid I would fan the bike and trailtech is the best set up, I know Kelly one of their design and test guys, they are hardcore riders that build racing quality stuff.

PPS lets all be careful this could turn into a rotella thread!!!!!

Does Rotella make coolant?  Because if they do, I’m running it!  

• Haha 1