SaMaKi

New Adventurer!

Hello all!

My name is Salah and I’m from France, been in San Diego for 8 years and totally in love with the weather here! I’ve always had street bikes (R1, GSX-R...etc) and about a year ago, I got a Kawasaki Concours 14 which I thought that’s it, it’ll be my bike for life as I loved that thing. A friend of mine owned a KLR and whenever we’d ride together, he’d get annoyed when he sees dirt and I have to stick to asphalt. So 3 months ago I told him ok, let’s go to the auction and I’ll get myself a KLR as well to see what’s the adventure riding fuss is all about. Little that I knew what I was in for and how this comment will change my life....haha. So we get to the auction and something I haven’t mentioned is that I’m 6’5 and close to 300lbs (yeah I know, big boy!) and as soon as I sat on a KLR, it just turned into a low rider with the engine case serving as a third wheel. So that ain’t gonna happen......

We keep walking the auction lot and come across a KTM 1190 Adventure R. My friend asks me to sit on it and I tell him to leave me alone as it is not “me”. I cave and sit on that thing. You can’t imagine the feeling when you’re my size, sit on a bike and for the first time in your life, feel like a regular human being and have only your toes reach the ground. Haha. It was love at first sit (pun intended)! My initial $1000 budget for a KLR just multiplied by 5 to try and get that 1190. 

I finally took it home with the intent on keeping both, the 1190 and the Concours as one for the street and one offroad. The 150hp of the 1190 quickly made me forget the Concours for the street. First ride happened in Pine Valley where the trail beat me up so bad but gave me a rush like I’ve never experienced. Since then I’ve been completely hooked on offroad riding, a junkie I’m telling you. I sleep thinking dirt, I eat thinking rocks and have nightmares about sand trails as those are still not my forte! Haha. 

My friend drank the orange coolaid as well after riding my 1190 and we found him a KTM 990 Adventure.

A month later I took my beloved Concours and traded it for a brand new KTM 1290 Super Adventure R. Yes, those are big bikes but that’s what it’ll take to haul my fat self. :)

I have purchased a Magellan TRX7 and have since then been on probably 10 trails around the San Diego area and still exploring new ones. I have seen a post here not too long ago from a member who planned a 2 day trip to the top of Santa Rosa which made me want to go, and we did this past Tuesday (thank you for the video as it helped locating the trail!). We are planning a 10 day trip to Colorado across Nevada and Utah next month with camping which I’ve never done before. 

We are also planning a two day trip to Big Bear (camping / fishing) to test out the gear before the big trip.

I work weekends and my days off always fall in week days which is when we mainly ride.

Anyway I’m looking forward to ride with more people, get some advices from more experienced guys! 

Dude, you're hooked. LOL. Same with the rest of us. I was the guy that put together the two day Santa Rosa ride. You should have jumped in. I also have mid week days off on occasion. Post up your rides and someone might jump in. Or jump in on one of the posted rides. If you work at it for a couple years, you'll establish a new group of riding friends for sure.

If you have any questions about doing those multi day rides, start a new thread. Many of us have done them and could provide valuable input that will probably save you money (on set up), etc...

Enjoy the addiction...

BTW, please don't tell me you picked up an 1190r for 5 grand???

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

It sure sounded like it!

Now that was a great intro👍👍

Welcome Salah

Bonjour mon ami.  Let’s go ride!

Welcome to the group, see ya on the trail.

14 hours ago, Oracle said:

I was the guy that put together the two day Santa Rosa ride. You should have jumped in.

Indeed it was you Oracle! I actually tried to join the forum cause I wanted to ask you the route, but somehow my signing up glitched and I was banned...hehe. So i sent an email last night and it got fixed by one of the admins (thank you btw). I watched your video probably 5 times trying to put the route together and I would've loved to join but you guys took off on Friday....I was at work.

14 hours ago, Oracle said:

I sure did! It was a 2014 and sun faded with 35k miles but the engine was still hauling. You could tell who had it before rode the hell of it off road as the rims were all scratched up and the crash bars all dinged. The actual story of the purchase is that as soon as I sat on it and told my friend "ok I'll go up to 5 grand max'', he said "yeah, right. No way you'll get it for that price" (he goes to auctions quite a lot). Comes the sale of the 1190 and auction starts at 7 grand....nobody bids, auctioneer start going down and reaches 4 grand. My friend and I look at each other and think wth? Is something wrong with it? We start bidding and I won it for 5 grand. Can't tell you the panic as it was gonna be hit or miss. Jump started the beast and from there, it was all V-Twin singing. 

12 hours ago, Wierdrider said:

It sure sounded like it!

Now that was a great intro👍👍

Welcome Salah

12 hours ago, tntmo said:

Bonjour mon ami.  Let’s go ride!

Welcome to the group, see ya on the trail.

Thank you!!

I'll try and post some pictures.

Here's the culprit :

48112233127_c0ca35d154_o_d.jpg

Here it is in a little misadventure

48112220668_60ffe89ac3_o_d.jpg

Here's the old lady

48112127916_95b227e2d2_o_d.jpg

And here is the soul mate :

48112128206_6de5e6facc_o_d.jpg

48112233277_4229682797_o_d.jpg

This one is for you Oracle :

48112128131_bbf3abcdde_o_d.jpg

Nice. Looks like you are all in. 

Nice photos...welcome to our community !

Look forward to meeting you. If you're in town, you should come to our meeting July 17th.

Welcome, nice find on the bike!  I also live in Santee but ride a 2fitty...Someday I’ll get a big boy bike.

6 hours ago, KTMrad said:

Nice photos...welcome to our community !

Look forward to meeting you. If you're in town, you should come to our meeting July 17th.

The plan is to be back in San Diego from our 10 day trip on the 16th or 17th so if we’re back then I’ll definitely come by.

4 hours ago, Huntndogs said:

Welcome, nice find on the bike!  I also live in Santee but ride a 2fitty...Someday I’ll get a big boy bike.

Hey neighbor! Smaller bikes are much more fun on the trails. If you live in Santee we should definitely get together. I sometimes go on quick couple hours ride to hit the Upper Santa Ysabel trail after work. Is your 250 street legal? I’m at work right now until 5:30 or so and will probably hit the trail when I leave work.

Man, steal of a deal for $5K.     Might want to check the rear hub bearings after getting stuck in the muck......

2 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

Man, steal of a deal for $5K.     Might want to check the rear hub bearings after getting stuck in the muck......

Oh that 1190 is gone...sold. I was just showing what was the reason of my addiction and what pushed me to get a 1290.