Sign in to follow this  
tntmo

Otay Overcast Sunset Ride

Even though it's been a bit busy around my house the last week or so, I was able to secure some time and get out for some much needed SDAR time on Monday evening.  There had been a ride posted by Luna to head up and view a scenic San Diego sunset at the top of Otay Mountain and enjoy some cold beverages together with whoever showed up.  I had considered riding my scooter, just because it's funny but I have only ridden it after dark once and didn't know how well the headlight would work off road so I saddled up on the Super Tenere.  Rolled into Pio Pico at almost exactly 7:15 and met up with three riders (Luna, Dhillr and erik_26).

The usually beautiful southern California sky was quite overcast and the mountain was enshrouded in a wall of fog and clouds.  Nonetheless, we had bikes and beverages so we rolled on.  The trail is in good shape, it has been filled in and graded.  I know some people don't care for that, but it's not like it's a single track black diamond trail even when it's in rough shape.  It's a road!    The journey to the top was interesting.  Some areas had sunlight shining down, while others had so much fog you couldn't see very far ahead.  As we got to the top, we suddenly were above the cloud coverage and I have to say it was a pretty nice sight.  Different than a clear view to the ocean, and maybe better?  

We parked our bikes, got our cold beverages and talked about bikes, RC cars, bowling and germaphobia.  A good time was had by all.  The descent back to Pio Pico was also uneventful, everyone regrouped at the bottom ensuring we all made it safely.  Loose plans were made to do it again, goodbyes were said and everyone rode off.  Not a bad way to spend a few hours on a Monday evening.  

My PhotoBucket account has too many pictures or something, I can't figure out how to log into my Flicker account and I'm just too damn lazy to figure it out right now.  Here's a few links to my Google Drive, lets see if that works?  Trying not to add photos.....ya know, doing my part to help SDAR save money!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10MMVGa0jRtbfXFWiRv5mUhekiDj4KsE8/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Pd4bZbKGxuInpfTthwQkUoNFJRmQkZg6/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rRiuPh9LwuoT05VMKetWlieKwmCek_Lb/view?usp=sharing

• Like 2

Great write up!

I was worried with overcast all day noone would show up. I had my friend send me a pic of his MTB ride up there, and he was above the clouds. Sure enough, that's what we experienced, it was AWESOME! So good group of guys! Dhiller and I had a great ride up, you ride very good. Fog was dense on way up in spots, was blinding in some corners. Made it above cloud cover and I took out my phone and was like a tourist.

Is it an easy fireroad ride, yes. However who cares when beauty of it at the top. We are blessed where we live and have opportunities of being able to do things like this, and enjoy the view.

Can't decide if I want to do this again for next two weeks straight or just one more in two weeks, I want the June gloom view again.

Was nice to have brew and get to meet new people to me.

I6XDGGq.jpg

xavhJAh.jpg

SrwSJzA.jpg

jw5Xtv2.png

• Like 1

It was a great meetup, ride and view. I almost didn't go at the last second but I am very glad that I did. I would highly recommend this mini adventure during the week. Tom was also suggesting to do a mini basic BBQ on one of these summer evening rides to the top. That would be fun too.

1eNGqLu.jpg

RbIuqle.jpg

6mLpUxB.jpg

yv9t0ox.jpg

ucF4Edf.jpg

n3vlLgo.jpg

zhrAKpt.jpg

eLjWZOO.jpg

UStMviy.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like you could walk on top of the marine layer clouds. Cool. 

I knew I should have gone...Next time. Great pics gents

Tom did you notice any fire rings up there?  I don't recall seeing any.  I'd like to bring up some wood or briquettes and toast some meat to go with the beer.  Would be easy enough is there's a spot to safely have a simple fire.

I guess the first question is are there fire restrictions?  And if so, when?

Zubb, we were talking about a BBQ, each individual would have to bring something, to help with weight.

Tom was talking about bringing his little charcoal grill and charcoal.

I by no means know anything about fire restrictions, but when I go on BLM website, it shows some good info.

BLM Fire Restriction Map

BLM Seasonal Fire Restrictions

Did not see any fire rings up there. You missed a good ride Zubb.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zubb said:

Tom did you notice any fire rings up there?  I don't recall seeing any.  I'd like to bring up some wood or briquettes and toast some meat to go with the beer.  Would be easy enough is there's a spot to safely have a simple fire.

I guess the first question is are there fire restrictions?  And if so, when?

I don't recalling a sign strictly prohibiting a camp type fire. But, I did see that target shooting was strictly prohibited and it specifically sited fire danger as the reason. 

Maybe a little propane burner grill would be easier than charcoal or wood. I know a little propane burn isn't as romantic as a roaring camp fire, but it will cook meat.