KTMrad

3 of My Friends Got the 790 Adventure R

that may be the ADV bike that turns my big bike switch on. by all accounts it can be at the extreme out of the box. most of my crew have 1090R s with mega bucks of parts and heavy on the suspension 101 packages for hardcore expert level adv riding. this thing appears by top tier reports to be very hardcore capable out of the box. See Motology's Adam Riemann tests and Quin Cody's viddy reports. Cool stuff Randy the standard sized Enduro bike gap is very close but still far enough to be ADV for more stable HD long range stuff.

Here's the thing to consider for a big bike purchase:

Time.

Big bike rides take a lot of time. In San Diego, unless you go to Baja, you'll lose the better part of a day on the outbound leg (past LA or Vegas) and another on the inbound, to get to any decent places to ride. Baja is closer, and a perfect alternative.

Then the rides are, by nature, longer multi-day affairs. While I LOVE that kind of riding, it takes a lot of planning and thought in carving out those precious days from work and family. Consequently, however much I adore my 990 (the finest motorcycle ever conceived by nonspecifichigherpower), it spends far too much time sitting in my garage mocking me when I approach.

Just something to consider.

That's a different viewpoint Paul.

Here's my viewpoint (but I do have all the time in the world, no wife or kids)....I've never had a problem having fun riding my 950 or Ducati 900 Elefant out my driveway in San Diego to go ride locally. I've explored a lot, done a street loop to a dirt loop in Corral Canyon and then home, many times.....and many other fun dirt roads and trails in SD County. Plus, it's fun as hell to ride on the street with these bikes.

And then there's the long trips....I always did at least one or two multi-day, long trips every year on my Adventure bikes. Never had trouble getting away from my job, even if I took a month off.

I guess I just had the time....lucky me !

100% agree Paul, after doing the 4 or so single day stuff out of town  half dozen times each I'm over big bikes, jealous Randy of you "schedule" 

16 hours ago, KTMrad said:

That's a different viewpoint Paul.

Understood, and valid.

Those short rides is why I have my 500. I've ridden the local areas on the 990, and had fun- but they're (for me) always more fun on the 500. Of course, my 5000 mile cross-country extravaganza last year would have SUCKED on the 500. Rides like the IBDR would have been fine on the 500 in the dirt, but SUCKED for the two highway days to return from Canada.

Different bikes, different purposes.

What a time to be alive...all these choices!  

• Like 1

Bump, back to title of post....

KTMrad,   Were your 3 friends who bought them in San Diego?  Those Norfolk Island pines in the background of the pic could indicate san diego region.... If so, which Dealer?  Has anybody else seen them on a local showroom floor to look at / touch?  I haven't seen any on the local roads pass me yet.

Gotta dream :) of the day....   (I don't have 950's 990's or 1090's in the garage, gosh darn) 

Any reviews from those 3 friends? mandatory farkles already?  Reviews from friends are best! 

2 minutes ago, Covered in Dust said:

There was one at NCY yesterday. 

And? 

Did it move to a garage northeast of there?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

And? 

Did it move to a garage northeast of there?

No I didn’t even get a chance to look at it. It was upstairs, so I assumed it was already sold and waiting to be picked up. 

5 hours ago, MacDuncan said:

Bump, back to title of post....

KTMrad,   Were your 3 friends who bought them in San Diego?  If so, which Dealer?  

Any reviews from those 3 friends? mandatory farkles already?  Reviews from friends are best! 

Mac....2 bought them at Poway and 1 at GP....they ordered them months ago.

They are just getting to know the bikes, only had them a little over a week. 1 friend rode it in the dirt on Sunday and he likes it.

My other friend always farkles the crap out of his bikes....and he'll probably sell it in a year, like he does with every bike to get the latest, greatest models.

If they write a review in email, I'll post it...they don't post here.

Randy when the farkled one comes up for sale forward listing to here please

Moto World got 2. 1st one sold for 26k out the door. 2nd went for around 23k. Great dealer profit. 

Justin the KTM tech likes it a lot. Says it a wheelie machine. 

Btw. I’ve fallen I love with my 1090. 

Got off work early did a Boulder Creek - Julian - Banner to S2 - Mud caves to Blue Inn back thru Julian to Alpine solo ride. 

42 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

Randy when the farkled one comes up for sale forward listing to here please

I am sure that will end up being a pocket listing!

17 hours ago, Ken S said:

Moto World got 2. 1st one sold for 26k out the door. 2nd went for around 23k.

Holy crap.

It's a motorcycle. 26k!! And it's neither a 500 nor a 990.

Excuse Me 2 X List?   Suppose that is good for the rest of us in that it May continue to be manufactured in Austria.

👀

I don’t care what bike it is, I’d never even pay list price for a bike.

Covered in Frugal

On 6/25/2019 at 6:54 PM, Ken S said:

Moto World got 2. 1st one sold for 26k out the door. 2nd went for around 23k. Great dealer profit. 

Justin the KTM tech likes it a lot. Says it a wheelie machine. 

Whaa?  I thought the MSRP was $12k?  Are you saying they doubled the price with garbage fees and taxes because it's a hot model?

I'll stick with my $3,500 DR650!  I won't burst into tears the first time it gets scratched. 😉