Sign in to follow this  
Mikey777

Yamaha Super Tenere 700

We should be seeing this in the US in 3Q 2020.  Looks like a good dirt machine.

This bike along with the KTM 790 and now Honda is rumored to have a smaller Africa Twin in the works (850cc?) is going to have a decent middle sized ADV market.  

Leaning towards the 790R in a year maybe. Xplor fork can be modified to perform really well.

Think the 990 stays in the stable though. I love my 990.

The Yamaha I really like. Less electronics, but the forks are 43mm like the Africa twin and may be an issue. They are KYB and may not have the flex issues but who knows? 43mm worries me. Saw a review saying the brakes were weak, but it's not out yet, so that may be addressed.

Had not heard about the Honda 850?

Just did UTBDR and AZBDR couple weeks ago with some young guys in there 50s. Took all the expert trails.

My 990 is lighter than most at 460lbs with some fuel, but I'm getting too old to pick her up twice a day.

I am curious about this bike for sure. One review I saw said that even though there is a 34" seat height, they still felt cramped as a tall rider.I don't know if the pegs could be lowered some? Braking was the most common critical comment I recall seeing. It looks like the US models will be made in Japan. The European models will be born in France. I am sure that the US models will probably feel under powered due to emissions requirements. Probably nothing a ECU flash and Power Commander can't resolve.

Anyone have a price point for the US? Did I hear ~$7K?

I also would really be interested in a 300-400 version of this bike.

8 hours ago, Suspenders said:

My 990 is lighter than most at 460lbs with some fuel, but I'm getting too old to pick her up twice a day.

Cheaper solution, next time stop dropping in

11 hours ago, erik_26 said:

Anyone have a price point for the US? Did I hear ~$7k?

More like $10k

11 hours ago, erik_26 said:

I am curious about this bike for sure. One review I saw said that even though there is a 34" seat height, they still felt cramped as a tall rider.I don't know if the pegs could be lowered some? Braking was the most common critical comment I recall seeing. It looks like the US models will be made in Japan. The European models will be born in France. I am sure that the US models will probably feel under powered due to emissions requirements. Probably nothing a ECU flash and Power Commander can't resolve.

Anyone have a price point for the US? Did I hear ~$7K?

I've never heard a review of the MT7 as being underpowered and it is the same engine.

The only price I've heard was 7k POUNDS.

11 hours ago, tntmo said:

More like $10k

11 hours ago, PastaPilot said:

I've never heard a review of the MT7 as being underpowered and it is the same engine.

The only price I've heard was 7k POUNDS.

I must be thinking of the £7K. I think that is just shy of $9K USD. 

The under-powered statement I made is an assumption. There aren't any US examples available yet, that I am aware of. Historically, bikes are tuned down and lean to meet emissions requirements. I am assuming this will be the case for this bike.

15 hours ago, Bp619 said:

Cheaper solution, next time stop dropping in

Or, we need a manufacture to engineer a bike that does not fall over. 

What I really want is a vtwin 2 stroke 600 to 700cc injected at a reasonable 400lbs loaded up. Self righting of course!

Pasta pilot has a classic vtwin that is likely to go up in value big time in the future.

• Like 1

So,,,, Yamaha wouldn't let them be ridden Offroad.    Are second gear wheelies a design spec?

Sorry Zubb, :)  I know how you like the Big Big Bikes..... and that I was leaning towards a big bike GSA, but after a couple biffs and injuries, I am beginning to drift towards a lighter bike choice. Especially knowing that a bunch of my riding on BDR's and other wanderings could be solo.  I know guys like DSM8 likely has multiple Big Bikes in the garage, hard dirt, soft dirt, road, ...   -haha-  each with a distinct purpose...  (kinda like some of my buds tease me about having a different jacket for every 8.3 degrees or weather change ), but unless I find a Great deal on a well loved and taken care of older big bike to load up to camp in remote areas, I am really thinking about the T7 for some BDR riding very soon (and my 500 feels a bit cramped with full luggage to camp remotely, and I really want that 07 to last a long time! ) .

Heck, this is one scenario where a new bike may cost less than a used bike...  The T7 bikes are sparsely distributed amongst local dealers and although they all sell for 9999 , it is hard to get them to commit to out the door price with transparency (do all dealers have the same set-up, build, destination yada yada fees for new bikes?)  The member who recently found a rep's 790 likely was able to avoid those fees, and got some farkles also, nice! That would be a good find.  These days, once you buy a bike, I think the relationship with the dealer is over, because you have to pay for follow up service regardless..... so Del Amo, Motoworld, Veyes, FBC.... likely doesn't matter.  If I got something wrong here about dealerships, or if anyone has insight on next steps, or if you recently bought one and know which accessories work super before driving it off the lot...  let me know, as I am always learning  :)  Cheers. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MacDuncan said:

Sorry Zubb, :)  I know how you like the Big Big Bikes..... and that I was leaning towards a big bike GSA, but after a couple biffs and injuries, I am beginning to drift towards a lighter bike choice. Especially knowing that a bunch of my riding on BDR's and other wanderings could be solo.  I know guys like DSM8 likely has multiple Big Bikes in the garage, hard dirt, soft dirt, road, ...   -haha-  each with a distinct purpose...  (kinda like some of my buds tease me about having a different jacket for every 8.3 degrees or weather change ), but unless I find a Great deal on a well loved and taken care of older big bike to load up to camp in remote areas, I am really thinking about the T7 for some BDR riding very soon (and my 500 feels a bit cramped with full luggage to camp remotely, and I really want that 07 to last a long time! ) .

Heck, this is one scenario where a new bike may cost less than a used bike...  The T7 bikes are sparsely distributed amongst local dealers and although they all sell for 9999 , it is hard to get them to commit to out the door price with transparency (do all dealers have the same set-up, build, destination yada yada fees for new bikes?)  The member who recently found a rep's 790 likely was able to avoid those fees, and got some farkles also, nice! That would be a good find.  These days, once you buy a bike, I think the relationship with the dealer is over, because you have to pay for follow up service regardless..... so Del Amo, Motoworld, Veyes, FBC.... likely doesn't matter.  If I got something wrong here about dealerships, or if anyone has insight on next steps, or if you recently bought one and know which accessories work super before driving it off the lot...  let me know, as I am always learning  :)  Cheers. 

One of my crew has a T7 Tenere' the thing is the S101 suspension test bed as well as typically for him the bolt on performance accessory machine, he has quite a bit of special parts on it . It sounds boss, handles like a 450 and is an overall bitchen machine. Another niche position bike filling another gap in the ADV client desire range.

Boano (of the former ISDE, WEC and Italian national enduro brothers Ivan and Jarno Boano) T7 Yamaha as the Italians say " Full Gass". They also have/had the Beta Boano World Enduro Beta factory sub-team

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MacDuncan said:

Yeh, I like Big Bikes, I cannot Lie, but I am inclusive, and woke in the moto world and embrace all brands and styles.  I'm just picky about the one I want sitting in my garage.  Wait.  Correction.  I'm picky about the one I want sitting under my arse.

I haven't ridden the T7 yet but would love to.  A respected friend of mine bought one last year and says it's "the one" in the middleweight category.  So you should absolutely ride one.  I've had a few of these join on group rides and come through class in Borrego.  Sadly, they fall over just like the 790's, KLR's, 1290's and Boxers. But I've been unlucky as I haven't yet gotten to the bike in time to help pick it up!  Someone always beat me there to lend a hand.  I'll probably get to ride one for a day or two in Colorado this summer.  I hope so and will report back if I do.

• Like 1

This is the type of thread that keeps me smiling when jumping onto the SDAR site. Good logical fun conversations with no drama and BS. BTW what oil would you use in that T7?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree Robertaccio, thanks for your insights.  Maybe your bud was on the other SDAR Tenere 700 thread where he biffed in his practice rides trying to find the max-out point of the suspension.  That was a well done video and reflection by that fella given that he had just gotten all rolled around in the sand alongside his new bike. Quite composed given the scenario!  

I knew that would be your reply Zubb, a motorcyclist at heart, but we still know which sub-category floats your boat  :)  

Apparently you can pull 40 lb off the bike pretty easy, that seems really significant. Getting it to the 400lb mark has me suddenly interested in riding one... Could it be, my 950ser meets africa twin? I'm sure it's not at brutal as the super enduro but maybe it's not as doughy as I first thought 💭

Screenshot_20210225-002433.thumb.png.45a1a8ce0dffa9d353874497098bb34e.png

3 hours ago, robertaccio said:

This is the type of thread that keeps me smiling when jumping onto the SDAR site. Good logical fun conversations with no drama and BS. BTW what oil would you use in that T7?

Oh...... noooooooo.

so take your cool looking stylish T7 lose 40 lbs and turn it into a rat bike....... I have auto mind list of about an easy 25 pound list. but every list I have includes costly Ti and other replacement parts. Roland is a great guy regardless, but I also know this was a 3 hour weightloss program, nothing said about style!!! Fun stuff.

• Like 1

It's funny, I get the impression that the general public views our bikes as hideous, and I get it, a bunch of jumbled lines and shapes going in all directions, and that windscreen, so not cool. 

Just gunna strap on some goofy space boots and throw it around in the dirt anyways...The uglier the better! 🤪

8qnw7rwlm4l51.thumb.jpg.bfc3fe03c14e0104f7b940b61fc396d1.jpg

Rat Fink!!! Ed Roth, with some Flying Eyeball, Von Dutch thrown in.  Couple of serious automotive artists/artisans/visionaries