Bagstr

Fuel Pump Pressure Gauge May 2019

In a major effort to Get Real,  I have taken the plunge in buying Chinese Tools.  Since everything is made in China regardless of label we have no choice to choose otherwise. $56 for both. (  I know,,,my Motion Pro stuff is Chinese and if I am lucky, Taiwanese )

Fuel%20Tools-M.jpg

Currently working to install correct Oetiker clamps. Had the gauge working but sprung a leak. 52lbs before leak developed. Motor shut down at about 45lbs for reference.

Standby 

I'm visualizing an emergency fuel transfer line that has a T fitting with a volume-reducer to allow the bike to run while transferring fuel. You can use your pressure gauge to determine the exact minimum pressure to allow the bike to run.

We don't need that, but it'd be very cool.

• Like 1

I hope these points help:

I had to use plumbers tape on my homemade fuel pressure gauge to stop the leaks. Lots of plumbers tape. 

When my bike had the split filter, it ran poorly, but ran. Pressure 30-35.

A few years ago, guy had a bike that was running bad. His pressure was 30ish. He replaced the pump with a ktm assy. Just for fun he ran the old pump until the bike would not run. Quit running at 25psi. The pump failed rapidly. It was the actual pump that was bad. Early on with ktm fuel injection they had some bad pumps 2011-2012ish

Testing the pressure periodically is a pretty good way to catch a problem... sometimes. 

I had the harbor freight leak down tester. It didn't work accurately. Now i have an OTC (brand name) works very well. 

I'm thinking a routine check may give early warning though certainly not foolproof. I need to go to Marshall's today for some other stuff. Pretty sure they carry CPC quick disconnects. I'll see if I can match one up.

Amgems, Thanks for the intel

I bought some fuel rated ( supposedly ) sealing tape. 

Good to know about the Leak Down. I haven't opened it yet and will return.

My bike stalled at what looked like 45lbs,  Possibly pressure was dropping fast

You can borrow my leak down tester. It's all set up for my 2012 350. I haven't tried it on my new bike. It needed an adapter or extension or something to reach down that deep spark plug hole. And then that had to be reduced in diameter. I'm sure we could make it work. 

Okay here's my newly constructed setup. I bought a quick disconnect fitting from Marshall's Hardware (off Miramar Rd.). Also a 60 psi gauge and a couple of barb fittings. QD was $4.49, gauge $7.89, barb fittings $5.98. I had a piece of non-FI rated 5/16 fuel line and used it anyway. Figured it would hold up for the short duration of a test and it did. Used standard teflon tape on the threads. One trick I learned in the semiconductor business where we did a lot of process piping is to use copious amounts of tape. Typically 4 to 6 wraps. Anyway no leaks. My pump tested ~51 psi so for the moment it appears to be in spec. BTW Bagstr the gauge is ...you guessed it....made in China!

.IMG_8930.jpg.5ba2d8dacf9402ecfc6becb7fdb6aeb9.jpgIMG_8931.jpg.3688128704019bcbfb4abdb6c4bcc5fe.jpgIMG_8932.jpg.d2399de72c61c249dae06eb7cb6640b6.jpgInkedIMG_8933a_LI.jpg.28b64791c367d955a44b0bcc29a2b434.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PbdBlue said:

Okay here's my newly constructed setup. I bought a quick disconnect fitting from Marshall's Hardware (off Miramar Rd.). Also a 60 psi gauge and a couple of barb fittings. QD was $4.49, gauge $7.89, barb fittings $5.98. I had a piece of non-FI rated 5/16 fuel line and used it anyway. Figured it would hold up for the short duration of a test and it did. Used standard teflon tape on the threads. One trick I learned in the semiconductor business where we did a lot of process piping is to use copious amounts of tape. Typically 4 to 6 wraps. Anyway no leaks. My pump tested ~51 psi so for the moment it appears to be in spec. BTW Bagstr the gauge is ...you guessed it....made in China!

.IMG_8930.jpg.5ba2d8dacf9402ecfc6becb7fdb6aeb9.jpgIMG_8931.jpg.3688128704019bcbfb4abdb6c4bcc5fe.jpgIMG_8932.jpg.d2399de72c61c249dae06eb7cb6640b6.jpgInkedIMG_8933a_LI.jpg.28b64791c367d955a44b0bcc29a2b434.jpg

Damn. I was just there yesterday. Might need to head back up. Where are the QD fittings in the store?

Just now, paulmbowers said:

Damn. I was just there yesterday. Might need to head back up. Where are the QD fittings in the store?

In the bottom row of drawers at the left end of the same side of the aisle that has the gauges. 

Did it, built it.

I opted for the improved 3" gauge because it accurater than the 2". More scientificer, too. And I used a T so I can read it while the bike is running.

Worked a treat- learned some verrrrry interesting about that aftermarket pump.

But that's a story for the other thread.