paulmbowers

XC4 fuel pumps- what I've discovered

The politically correct term is "alternative lifestyle pliers" 

• Like 1

PMB Though I know it wasn't necessarily by choice thanks for being the guinea pig here. Lot's of good info gleaned from this exercize.

1 hour ago, PbdBlue said:

PMB Though I know it wasn't necessarily by choice thanks for being the guinea pig here. Lot's of good info gleaned from this exercize.

Sure, happy to help.

I got the Kemso pump yesterday, and a quick glance shows similar issues- the white flange-thing (Kemso's is orange) is not going to work- structurally identical to the HPF. The have a screen that I'll test later on the stock white flange-thing to see if it is a possible replacement. Kemso's kit is very similar to the HPF- lots of alternative applications, filters for other uses, wires to adapt, etc.

It's likely I'll use the Kemso and some of my cannibalized stock parts to create spare pump that's easy(er) to field swap.

1 minute ago, paulmbowers said:

Sure, happy to help.

I got the Kemso pump yesterday, and a quick glance shows similar issues- the white flange-thing (Kemso's is orange) is not going to work- structurally identical to the HPF. The have a screen that I'll test later on the stock white flange-thing to see if it is a possible replacement. Kemso's kit is very similar to the HPF- lots of alternative applications, filters for other uses, wires to adapt, etc.

It's likely I'll use the Kemso and some of my cannibalized stock parts to create spare pump that's easy(er) to field swap.

Does your Kemso have the long barbed port or the short smooth one?

Here's another option- it's a KenRO and eliminates the confusing, extra, unnecessary components.

And costs $150.

Amazing.

Image.png

2 hours ago, PbdBlue said:

Does your Kemso have the long barbed port or the short smooth one?

I think this is short and smooth- but I'm not an expert on such things ;  )

Clearly the Kemso and the Kenro (above) are the same thing. 

IMG_1601.jpeg

9 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

I think this is short and smooth- but I'm not an expert on such things ;  )

Clearly the Kemso and the Kenro (above) are the same thing. 

IMG_1601.jpeg

Yep just like mine. I think HPF used to be like this but changed probably because the hose may come off? That said if it saves me from dropping out of a 5 day trip it's worth $28.

Marshall's Hardware

I wish you guys would stop shopping there; the stock is becoming depleted. 5/16" Quick Disconnect, got last one. 

15 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

Marshall's Hardware

I wish you guys would stop shopping there; the stock is becoming depleted. 5/16" Quick Disconnect, got last one. 

It's the candy store for big boys!

My new emergency fuel system repair kit. Fuel pump, Mahle filter, hose, assorted clamps, etc.

IMG_8938.jpg

IMG_8939.jpg

1 hour ago, PbdBlue said:

My new emergency fuel system repair kit. Fuel pump, Mahle filter, hose, assorted clamps, etc.

IMG_8938.jpg

IMG_8939.jpg

Vacuum packed for freshness.

2 hours ago, Bagstr said:

I wish you guys would stop shopping there

They'd have to close.

47 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

They'd have to close.

When I was working my boss hated the place. Lot’s of expense reports from there:)

51 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Vacuum packed for freshness.

Don’t want it to get stale. Actually just sealed but not vacuum. Keeps the dirt out.

After the Leaks Stopped,  an accurate pressure is 52lbs or so. Original pump @ 300 hours. In tank filter changed at 210 hrs

By the way, those quick disconnects are labeled as 1/4 x 5/16

FuelGauge-XL.jpg

16 minutes ago, Bagstr said:

After the Leaks Stopped,  an accurate pressure is 52lbs or so. Original pump @ 300 hours. In tank filter changed at 210 hrs

FuelGauge-XL.jpg

Your hose configuration is better than mine.

Damn. I've got work to do.

3 hours ago, Bagstr said:

FuelGauge-XL.jpg

Nicely done. Which fitting did you buy the last of? The coupling or the plug?

Plug for certain; coupling maybe 

Here's some more lessons- the Kemso using the HPF regulator, also checked in at 41 lbs. I didn't check that pump with the stock regulator because I'm lazy, no good, and will never amount to anything.

My parents were ultimately correct. 🤷‍♂️

I've ordered a complete OEM, made in China KTM replacement system from the eBay link above. If I were a motocrosser type, riding tracks very close to the truck, I might consider using an aftermarket cobbled-together fuel system. I'm sending back the HPF system, and will carry the Kemso pump with scavenged OEM flange and strainer as a backup.

And.

The screws that hold the rear flange of the system in the tank are called EJOT and are designed for thread-cutting in thermoplastics. Repeated screwing and unscrewing as if one were testing aftermarket fuel components is not recommended- the holes will eventually enlarge and be less able to hold the screws. Good news is the rear flange seal takes very little pressure to be effective- but it's a bit unsettling to barely tighten those screws.

There's a fix- a couple of them in fact. One fix is #12x1" stainless wood screws from Home Despot, which probably works, but offends my delicate sensibilities. Then people stick ZipTies in the holes before inserting the screws. Other folks burn/melt the ZipTies into the holes first, or burn similar plastic material and drip it in. Others use epoxy glue and spray WD40 on the screws before assembly. There's a a more graceful solution.

KTM HH COLLAR SCREW M5X16 0014050163 is the stock screw.
KTM has a longer screw SPECIAL SCREW K60X30 0017060305 that will work perfectly and I'll use after I receive the new system. Yes, I've measured the boss(es) on the tank to be sure it's not too long. Not exactly sure of their intended application. Full KTM retail price is $1.07, and of course GP Cycles sells them for $1.99.

More threads, more hold.

IMG_1629.jpeg

But,, but, your EJOT screws are off course approved for Acerbis and Clark fuel tanks.

Not to press a point, these Quick Disconnect O-Ring couplers are " Not approved for fuel injections systems. "  Motion Pro website. 

Man,  That just makes me want to stay at home and not risk the wilderness. What is an Adventurer to do?

1 minute ago, Bagstr said:

But,, but, your EJOT screws are off course approved for Acerbis and Clark fuel tanks.

Not to press a point, these Quick Disconnect O-Ring couplers are " Not approved for fuel injections systems. "  Motion Pro website. 

Man,  That just makes me want to stay at home and not risk the wilderness. What is an Adventurer to do?

Well one issue is that the standard CPC disconnects have Buna oring’s which are not very good when it comes to gasoline compatibility. Fine for limited use in a test fixture but not what you want to run full time. The Ktm version has Viton oring’s. I ordered some 2-011 viton oring’s to use as spares for the Ktm fitting and to replace the oring on my test fixture. The oring for the plug is easily swapped out. I’m not sure the internal shutoff oring in the coupling can be replaced. Need to look into that. I’m not sure the quantity I ordered as the website was a little confusing. I’ll either get 5 or 50! If it’s the latter I’ll have plenty to pass around.

55 minutes ago, paulmbowers said:

Here's some more lessons- the Kemso using the HPF regulator, also checked in at 41 lbs. I didn't check that pump with the stock regulator because I'm lazy, no good, and will never amount to anything.

My parents were ultimately correct. 🤷‍♂️

I've ordered a complete OEM, made in China KTM replacement system from the eBay link above. If I were a motocrosser type, riding tracks very close to the truck, I might consider using an aftermarket cobbled-together fuel system. I'm sending back the HPF system, and will carry the Kemso pump with scavenged OEM flange and strainer as a backup.

The regulator is available in 3 and 3.5 bar calibrations. I wonder if they sent you a 3 bar?

3 bar =  43.5 psi

3.5 bar =  50.8 psi

43.5 is pretty close to 41 taking into account your inaccurate 3” gauge.

12 minutes ago, PbdBlue said:

The regulator is available in 3 and 3.5 bar calibrations. I wonder if they sent you a 3 bar?

3 bar =  43.5 psi

3.5 bar =  50.8 psi

43.5 is pretty close to 41 taking into account your inaccurate 3” gauge.

Yes. 

The regulator was marked 300kpa, which is 43.5.

That’s another odd choice by HPF- why 43 when factory is 51?

400F98FF-475A-4030-904A-2F046AAAA9AA.jpeg