Sign in to follow this  
Beezzz

Android offline mapping free software

My wife and I are heading to Italy and France for two weeks of scootering around, then to Spain, New York, Montreal.  I am looking for the best free or near free android phone software for simple routing on the phone or on a PC.

Locus?

Ride with GPS?

Can I use Google maps, create a custom route, save, open in an android phone?

What is your recommendation?

I plan to use our European phones with local country short term chips and download app to phone when we are in Europe.

What are your tips?

We are talking paved roads?? Why not just use Google maps, put in your destination and allow it to plot your route? You can change the route Google suggest by zooming in and "pulling" the route over to different road(s).

Or you can create a fully customized route by pulling up Google maps on your phone and putting in a destination. Then add another destination. And another and so on. This way you can break it down into segments and customize them more easily. 

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/144339?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en  Click on this link and go to "Add additional destinations"

Or you can create a custom route in Google maps on your computer (easier than on phone) the same way above. You can then copy the created URL (once you are done with your route), paste the URL into a conversion program (free sites for this...type in "convert URL to GPX) to convert the URL into a GPX file. You can then load the GPX file into your phone and use a vast array of free GPS apps, such as Rever, Gaia maps, etc, to run

Is this what you are looking for??

Yes, this is what I want to discuss.  Paved roads.  The redrawing and rerouting of the goggle maps while in use is a problem at times.

On my computer, I can drag the route to reroute in google maps.   On my android phone I can not change the automated course by dragging.

The URL convert is interesting.  How do you get the GPX into your phone.  Via the free app such as Rever, Gaia, etc.

AND any tips for sightseeing.

Nice, France

Turin, Italy

Barcelona, Madrid, Bilbao, Spain

Thanks for your help Oracle (very detailed), or should I call you "LB".

"Here we go" is a free app, you download the needed maps from home, turn offline use on and you have a supper update system with voice navigation. this works with out Phone service. After the trip, delete the maps and download CA or what ever you need. I use this now for 4 years, last trip Australia and it works perfect.

Thanks Jaja and Big O.

Here's my new adventure bike link for my wife and I:    http://piemonterent.com/noleggio-vespa-langhe/.

Just imagine my 6'4" tall frame on that small vespa bike.  The open helmets and 1/2 visors are not what we are used to either.  It is always a funny look.   But, "when in Rome . . . ".

Here are a few "tourist on scooters" photos from a trip in 2012 (Sienna, Florence Italy) with my wife.

Two wheels are always the best choice.

IMG_2450.JPG

IMG_2483.JPG

IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_2751.JPG

IMG_2791.JPG

IMG_2796.JPG

IMG_2808.JPG

IMG_2818.JPG

IMG_2863.JPG

IMG_2874.JPG

IMG_2910.JPG

IMG_2928.JPG

IMG_2934.JPG

IMG_2948.JPG

IMG_2962.JPG

IMG_2807.JPG

IMG_2811.JPG

Jaja,

Any difference between Goggle Maps vs. Here we are.

Wait,  You can afford to Tour Europe but you want Free for your GPS.  You are identifying your mind type.

That said -- You Two have all the fun.

5 hours ago, Beezzz said:

Jaja,

Any difference between Goggle Maps vs. Here we are.

Google takes more power, what I discover on my phone. I don't know if you can change settings on google and which?

15 hours ago, Beezzz said:

Thanks for your help Oracle (very detailed), or should I call you "LB".

No problem Beez. To address your second post regarding building your route on a computer and converting it to GPS tracks. If you have Google maps on your computer, easiest thing to do is put a starting and destination point in. Google of course will plot a route automatically. And as you know, once that is done, you can "pull" the route to different roads, add additional destinations, and customize it. Every time you make a change to the original map, the URL changes. Anyway, once you are satisfied with your route, you copy the URL. Then you'll need to paste the URL into a conversion program such as https://mapstogpx.com/ or any other (Google "convert Google maps to GPS). This will convert the URL into a GPX file. Save it to your computer and make a note of the location (I created a new file called "GPX tracks" so it's easy to find). Plug your phone into your computer and find the file. Some apps like GAIA and GPX Viewer will automatically uploaded any new GPX files you have added since the last time you plugged your phone in. Once the GPX files are uploaded, you'll be able to open them from whatever GPS app you are using. Another way to get the file on your phone is to attached it to a new email and send it to yourself. Open the email on your phone and upload the file...Easy Peeze Beeze...:thumbsup_anim: 

On 5/7/2019 at 12:37 PM, Bagstr said:

Wait,  You can afford to Tour Europe but you want Free for your GPS.  You are identifying your mind type.

That said -- You Two have all the fun.

Bags, how true you are. 

I can identify with 5 brain types. 

1.  mystery meat. 

2.  poor cheap bastard. 

3.  idiot.

4.  WAIT, I can't remember.

5.  Placebo

PLUS . .   MANY MORE . . .